Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I’ve looked at the lighted controls before they definitely give the bike a nice touch but like most things harley doesn’t list them as compatible for the 21s. Im sure they are abs harley just hasn’t updated parts compatibility yet. Im running into the same thing with the auxiliary wire harness that it’s looking like I might not need for the heated grip install.
I have a set to go on mine, just haven't gotten around to swapping the bars yet. With three generations of scooters in the barn, past blinkers and dimmer, I'm never sure what button to push without looking.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I’ve looked at the lighted controls before they definitely give the bike a nice touch but like most things harley doesn’t list them as compatible for the 21s. Im sure they are abs harley just hasn’t updated parts compatibility yet. Im running into the same thing with the auxiliary wire harness that it’s looking like I might not need for the heated grip install.
So 21s don't come lite as standard?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Wow. For what the regular ones go for, they can't add that cheap of part?

Really? Wow.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I’m planning on doing bars soon and might as well add heated grips. What’s everyone using? Anything else you’re doing while the bars are off? Thanks guys.
I installed Harley Streamliner grips. (Same style as my pegs) With care and a die grinder you can slot the internals of the switch block to enable the power lead to run inside your bars. The two pin plug on the RHS vibrated loose making me think I had a failure. To ensure not repeats on a cold day, I tore an earplug in half and put that between the plug and the bar end cap. The only other issue, if you can call it an issue, is the it is easy to inadvertently switch them on when parking your bike. As soon as you're mobile on a hot day you will notice that the bars are warmer! It has to be very cold to run them above setting 2. Normal operation if I require them on is setting 1. Would setting 6 melt the end of the bars off? I would not know as I have never tried it. My 2016 FLTRXS was prewired to suit the Harley ones so it was an easy job. The live wire plug is in-front of the ignition switch block, and the RHS wire is inside the bar already. I made it a bit fiddly only because I wanted to run the LHS wire inside the LHS bar. Check with "your people" but I would be surprised if yours was not prewired the same. Trust this helps.

Reactions: Shovelhead23

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry for the delay, no harness needed. I doubt they changed anything with the controls. You could ask a mechanic at the stealership.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I was just about to start a new thread on this topic, and then found this one. Here is my question. 2020 RGL... came stock with HD heated grips. I prefer a much fatter grip, like the Kuryakyn ISO grips. Looked at the Kahunas but they are basically the same diameter as stock. Interested in buying / installing the Kuryakyn ISO Heated Grips and I know that it won't be an easy plug and play. I also have the KST Kustoms Spearheads installed which are pretty easy from a running internal wires perspective. What exactly would I need to do in order to make use of the stock wiring and install these particular grips? I've searched online but the results have been pretty lacking. Thanks!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep I see no reason not to do them while I’m doing bars. I’m thinking about 12” spearheads too, would you mind telling me the OAW? Do the uprights have any bend back toward the rider? Thanks.
Sorry I am just now getting back. The OAW on my bars as I have them set is 33 and a half inches.

·
Registered
2021 RGS, 77 rigid shovel, 63 panshovel
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I went with the HD Kahuna Heated grips, it was an easy install on my 19 RGS.
I ended up scoring a set of new factory take offs from a forum member. They’re not Gucci but I like the plain regular grips and they were cheap so I’m happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m planning on doing bars soon and might as well add heated grips. What’s everyone using? Anything else you’re doing while the bars are off? Thanks guys.
I got the factory on my 12 limited , they work good only thing is back of my hands get cold with light gloves and with heavy can't feel the grips . A guy wrote that heated gloves don't heat your palms , it's always something .

·
Registered
208 Posts
I installed the Kahuna heated grips on my 20 RGL when I put on 12" KST Spearheads and love them!
got any picks of the spear heads mounted? I thought about going with the spearheads but I don't like the meat hook look. I just ordered the KST straight jacket for my 21 RG limited.......

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got the factory on my 12 limited , they work good only thing is back of my hands get cold with light gloves and with heavy can't feel the grips . A guy wrote that heated gloves don't heat your palms , it's always something .
I can't remember off hand...hahaha....but, there are gloves made to use with heated grips.....some padding on the palms and insulation on the back

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Know what I do? I put my left hand down close to the motor for a little bit while the right is on the throttle. Then hit cruise and put my right hand close to the motor and my left on the bars.

All of this on the highway only of course. Around town, the hard guards and thick gloves work.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts