9. After 3 previous Shark Weeks, we finally won a raffle prize
10. The roads in New England SUCK!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
You should ride the roads in spring if you think the roads suck now. Its August and the temps got down to the 50s during the day. New England, especially northern New England can and does get some pretty severe weather throughout the year which plays havoc with the roads. Oh by the way, they weren't that bad:p

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I don't think that it was that all the roads sucked, there were some good ones, but the ones that did suck, REALLY sucked. 16 and 25 down to Laconia were really decent. 16 and 17 that we took to Rangeley on Thursday were decent. We took 3 on the way out Friday morning and it was nice, as were most of our roads Friday. We found some in Ohio and Indiana that weren't wonderful, and then we got back home to Iowa and found more that REALLY sucked. I think we still win for the consistency of the suckage.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that enjoyed bouncing through the sharp corners. :eek:

The bracket holding my dummy pipe broke in PA on my way to SW. No doubt if it hadn't then it would have riding around NH and ME.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yes, the roads in New England suck!
I also learned the true meaning of "white knuckle experience" on the Mount Washington auto road. Thanks to the idiot cagers on same road, I also experienced a much more extreme pucker factor to boot!
I learned that myrt digs bald guys.
I learned hotels can charge $7.00 for a glass of mediocre wine, and I'll buy several of them.
I learned I can ride for hours with a death grip on my bars and thighs clamping the tank - as my kidneys are being punched out my back.
I learned that a "bump" warning road sign in New England means prepared to be launched off your seat.
I learned that I should wear a mouth guard to protect my teeth while riding my motorcycle in New England.
I learned that cruise control snaps off when you're launched in the air by aforementioned "bumps."
I learned blue loctite is insufficient for New England.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Beautiful area but yes the roads suck! They cost me one horn bracket, one antenna mount and both bolts that hold the back rest to the tour pak. As bad as the roads were still some great riding and met a lot of great folks. Would do I all over in a heart beat!!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'll go with Tracy's format...

1. When you drop your bike, everyone rushes over, not to help you or the bike up, but to see who can get the "proof" pic taken and posted first.

2. Riding into SW with a tour of some kind is a blessing and a curse.

3. Hotels will let you check in after midnight, even if your reservation was for the previous day.

4. Friendships were rekindled and new ones made, plus I believe I met the sister I never had in Mrs. Lisa Foxworth. Her and her husband Curtis are great people!

And finally...

5. The roads in New England SUCK!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Agree roads were not great.

NE has really cold mornings - even in August brrrrrrr

People refuse to do the speed limit & I don't mean in a good way by going over the limit. Open road you would be lucky to hit the speed limit, usually 5-10 below, but come into a city & they go 10 over WTF...

Altitude effects how much gasoline your bike thinks it has left - Started at bottom of Mt Washington showing about 70 miles remaining - got to 4 mile marker and gas light was on - next mile I was down to 20 - another mile and low range pops up YIKES!!!!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Beautiful area but yes the roads suck! They cost me one horn bracket, one antenna mount and both bolts that hold the back rest to the tour pak. As bad as the roads were still some great riding and met a lot of great folks. Would do I all over in a heart beat!!

+1 on meeting new folks, making new friends, and re-connecting with old ones! The ride up was a blast, too!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
. . . with my brand new un-balanceable Michelin Commander II's I wisely shook off all my lose parts BEFORE I got there. If anyone needs a right highway peg I'll cut you a deal!

Really enjoyed the event!

Ron

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well that means you can mark three items off your "lessons learned" list for next year! Cuz Texas has AWESOME roads. Gotta brag a little...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts