Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my '09 RG last summer. I'm slowly getting it setup for me. I wanted to add the wind deflectors that connect from the crash bar to the gas tank front mount. A friend had a new RG and I tried to snap the deflectors on my bike. No fit. So I was looking at Chicago HD website and found the deflectors. They seem to fit every RG ever made. But there was a disclaimer that will not fit if you have a "fuel tank retrofit mounting kit". Buying the bike used, I'm not sure what this is or if my bike has it. Looks like there is a large plastic piece between the tab on the tank and the frame. Can't tell what it does other than take up the space between the frame and the tab. Can anyone give a clue? :confused:

Thanks.

Azbagger

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah - you have them. I had my dealer put them on and then when the wind deflectors didnt fit, I took them off. Smart move? Maybe not, but do I really care if the the bike "may burst into flames" in a crash without these retrofits? Not really. In fact if it goes down that hard, I want it to burst into flames...save me the rtrouble of arguing with the insurance adjuster LOL!
;)

·
Administrator
10,595 Posts
there was a recall on a bunch of 09-10 gas tanks , so apparently they will not fit if the recall was done , contact your dealer or any dealer , give them you VIN and they will know if the recall was done

JtB

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
it was a recall, mine has it and i had to replace the tank mounting bolt with a longer one and add add nylon spacers to give the deflectors a place to snap on.

I will try to get a pic tonight of the modification if you need it.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have an '09 and the retro-fit was done to my bike. I could not see how these two plastic tabs would stop a tank rupture. So, when I bought the tank air deflectors, I pulled those chintzy tabs off the tank bolts just like MemphisGlide did. Waited for the sirens to go off and the men in their Brooks Brother's suits to show up, but all is well. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have an '09 and the retro-fit was done to my bike. I could not see how these two plastic tabs would stop a tank rupture. So, when I bought the tank air deflectors, I pulled those chintzy tabs off the tank bolts just like MemphisGlide did. Waited for the sirens to go off and the men in their Brooks Brother's suits to show up, but all is well. Your results may vary.
Ha...! I was audited by the IRS a couple months after I pulled them. Coincidence????? :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crap, looks like I uncovered a sinister plot by the HD Police to make sure that I keep getting all the turbulence in my face for the rest of time.....:mad:

To those of you who removed the "retrofit kit", did you have to remove the tank or just remove the two front fuel tank screws and then slip out the "kit" from between the tank tabs and the frame? Would anyone have the diameter of the bushing/spacer needed to replace the "kit" so that the air deflectors will work? Did you use nylon/rubber or steel bushing/spacer? Did you have to change out the tank screws?

Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate it. ;)

Azbagger

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zog,

Thanks for the work around from Big Red 103. Using that method, I don't have to remove the "retrofit kit". That looks like a clean way to solve the problem of the wind deflectors not fitting. Thanks a bunch! :D

Azbagger

·
Registered
375 Posts
Zog,

Thanks for the work around from Big Red 103. Using that method, I don't have to remove the "retrofit kit". That looks like a clean way to solve the problem of the wind deflectors not fitting. Thanks a bunch! :D

Azbagger
I wonder if I put them back on using that method, will I get a refund???? :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if I put them back on using that method, will I get a refund???? :confused:
I'm sure your check is in the mail already....:D

Mind if I ask another question or two of you? What windshield do you have on your RG? Does it do a good job of keeping the turbulence off your face? I'm 6' and have a 32" inseam, I'm looking at a Windvest, maybe a 14 or 15". Tough decision.

Azbagger

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm sure your check is in the mail already....:D

Mind if I ask another question or two of you? What windshield do you have on your RG? Does it do a good job of keeping the turbulence off your face? I'm 6' and have a 32" inseam, I'm looking at a Windvest, maybe a 14 or 15". Tough decision.

Azbagger
I have the 14" windvest, dark smoke. Suggest lite smoke, you should have seen the curb i jumped one overcast day wearing sun glasses and looking through the dark smoke. I stuck the landing. all 6's except the Russian judge gave me a 4.5. 5'11" and 32 inseam. I use a street glide seat and lowered rear shockes (basically I have an 09 FLTRX) I like it and no issues with wind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the 14" windvest, dark smoke. Suggest lite smoke, you should have seen the curb i jumped one overcast day wearing sun glasses and looking through the dark smoke. I stuck the landing. all 6's except the Russian judge gave me a 4.5. 5'11" and 32 inseam. I use a street glide seat and lowered rear shockes (basically I have an 09 FLTRX) I like it and no issues with wind.
Thanks for the reply. Those Russian Judges are tough. Remember, if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger (wiser) hopefully.

Azbagger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts