Road Glide banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into upgrading my '09 RG sound system. right now it just has the stock radio and speakers. my question though is what is an adequate size amp? 100 watt/channel? 50 watt/channel? what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
It's going to depend on how for you want to go with your system. What speakers are you gonna use? I went with an aftermarket radio, 6.5 polks in the fairing and 6x9 polks in the saddlebag lids with a 1200 watt amp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking about going 7.25" speakers in fairing and then adding speaker lids with 6x9s. Or doing speakers in the lowers. Looking at doing in stages but main reason for asking is because I may have found a good deal on a slightly used 4 channel 200 watt amp. In everyone's experience, will this be enough to drive the speakers that I want?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I put J&Ms 7.25 upfront and their 5.25's in tourpak, big improvement. Later I added Hogtunes 160 watt 4 channel amp. 80 mph at half volume, it still sounds good. Most of my friends say they can't believe the sound from this small setup. 50 watts per channel should be good unless you want to rock the whole neighborhood.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The amp you are looking at is probably undersized for what you are looking to do. If that amp is bridgeable and you can use it as a 2 channel amp, it would probably support 2 speakers and sound decent.

It may be advertised a 200 watts, but is that sustained power or just peak output. The amp I am currently using is a 4 channel Kenwood that is advertised as 400 Watts, but in reality it only puts out 45 watts/channel sustained. The more power you can get to your speakers, the richer the sound will be. I am only paired with (2) 5 1/4 inch Polk Audio speakers and the amp is not bridgeable. The sound is louder and I can hear it at 80mph, but it is still tinny sounding. The amp and speaker combo just needs more power so some bass can be produced.

The amp and speaker combo was found at Best Buy in their "open box" products. I bought it because it was an inexpensive upgrade to the factory setup. I have under $150 in the setup. It will get me by, but I will be upgrading to Rockford Fosgate amp and better speakers in the future.

I have already changed the head unit for a Jensen HD1BT.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Two Hawg Wired RS 400 amps for me. Awesome sound. 200 watts per channel front and rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.