Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question here that I cant seem to find an answer to. When measuring crank runout on a TC, is it measured at the nose on the right side or is it more precise to measure from the compensator side?
Reason is I have always seen it done where the dial indicator is mounted in a block bolted to the cam chest, I had a dealer show me my run out from a vice grip clamped to the frame and the snake arm bent up holding the DI on the nose tip. They claimed .004-005, but I could tap the snake arm with my fingernail and easily see a couple thousandths movement.
Would anyone with engine experience agree with me that the setup used is basically inaccurate?
NOTE: It is a welded crank with chain drive cams, it was taken apart because of a cut o ring and was sumping, it has a Feuling race pump which is red and there was a ever so slight brush mark in the red coating not really any wear on the pump housing.
Thanks again in advance for any info.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
What are acceptable numbers for the crank run out on the TC ?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Really?? A dial indicator vise gripped to the frame to measure crank run-out in a rubber-mounted motor???

Run! Forrest, Run!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott,
Is the correct location to measure runout on the cam side and not on the comp side? Is the reading from the cam side indicate the runout on the comp side would be more?
I feel confident that my runout is acceptable based on what I saw and the method they used, and agree with others here the tool they used leaves too much room to be accurate.
My concern is really the fear factor it left me after dropping a small fortune in the motor. Thanks everyone for the replies

Note: snap on, mac and others make a universal dial indicator set that uses a snake arm and vise grip as a mount. I prefer the block mount or at least a threaded post and/or mag mount tha. The snake arm.

·
Banned
94 Posts
I made a 1"x2" piece of steel,with a 1/4" hole.bolt it to one of the bolts holes for the cam plate & use a magnetic base indicator.put the indicator on the end of the pinion shaft.0.00" to .003" is good,.0035" to .005" is acceptable,above .005" needs attention (0.00" to .0035" for gear drive)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I use a Starret Dial Indicator on a solid articulating mount fastened to the case. I always check it as far out board on the cam side as I can set the indicator. The tool listed would be great too. Not sure about the quality of the dial indicator used, but even if it was cheap quality it should be fine for a runout check.

On the compensator side there are splines on the end of the crankshaft. You would have to read it closer to the cases off of the seal race which isn't a solid mount to the crankshaft. I would think that you'd get some variation there.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
High quality measuring instruments are a plus.
Starrett, Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharpe, Federal are names we trust, and are very familar with here.
On a side note, the worst we've seen here have been .067" on the pinion, and .024" on the sprocket side, running on seperate C/L's.
2004 88".
Needless to say the cam plate bushing was fubared, and the pump was wadded.
We installed an S&S 4 3/8" arm, and bored to 3.937" building him a 107".
Happy guy now.:)
Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts