Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Yes you can remove it.I cut mine flush with the fender struts then pug them,it may hold your plate on so you will have to get a mount for your plate.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
before you go cutting anything, I suggest that you have a backup plan in place. I cut it and plugged it on my 2007 road king. shortly thereafter, on a road trip, when I made a lane change, the thickness of the paint separating the lanes threw me into a serious speed wobble. an, 'oh shit, i'm gonna lose it', kinda wobble. this happened to me twice on that roadtrip. it had never happened before, and after I got home and put the bar back on, it never happened again.

other folks have done it and not reported any problems. that was not my experience. the 'older' swingarms just aren't as beefy as the newer ones and are more subject to twisting.

·
Registered
654 Posts
That bar is a fender support bracket and licence plate holder. Mine broke on the flat parts that extend down and bolt to the fender, about one year ago. While sitting on the back seat my wife could feel the fender move, and when going over small dips on the pavement the fender would sink and drift right to left scrubbing the tire. Some folks do cut the u shaped extension and plug the ends but I think it is good to leave it intact. But just in case you do decide to try cutting it and don't like the result you can always buy another. Mine cost $130.00 Canadian last year. Oh ya. As long as no one was sitting on the back the bike road fine with the broken bracket.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That bar is a fender support bracket and licence plate holder. Mine broke on the flat parts that extend down and bolt to the fender, about one year ago. While sitting on the back seat my wife could feel the fender move, and when going over small dips on the pavement the fender would sink and drift right to left scrubbing the tire. Some folks do cut the u shaped extension and plug the ends but I think it is good to leave it intact. But just in case you do decide to try cutting it and don't like the result you can always buy another. Mine cost $130.00 Canadian last year. Oh ya. As long as no one was sitting on the back the bike road fine with the broken bracket.
I think it's ugly, but do I have to cut it to use Bad Dad License Plate Eliminator Bracket? (Bad Dad | Custom Bagger Parts for Your Bagger | License Plate Eliminator Bracket).

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Nearly everyone I know has cut that part of the upper support arms off and either put led blinkers in the end or a filler cap. I rode a 08 Road King like that for years with no problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts