Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is obviously a huge fan base here for ape hangers. Personally, I'm not a fan of apes. I'm looking for replacement bars for my '13 RGU, but I don't want tall apes. I'd like something like the new '17 Ultras are coming from the factory. They are much closer to the rider and taller. They seem perfect. I'm getting serious neck, shoulder, and back pain from leaning forward on long rides with these stock bars.

Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Bars for 13 and older

I'm not sure about the fit and dimensions from the ultra and a standard road glide, but I put a set of Harleys reduced reach bars on my 09 road glide. The bars were a little bit taller than standard and closer to the rider, I really loved those bars. I wish the 15 road glide specials had a bar similar to those.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I have the khromewerks 2+2 sweepers and really like em, a few other members also have them, they bring the bars back to you in a nice hand position and i think i paid about 82 clams shipped for em, give em a look.:nerd: My only gripe is that they are one inch, not inch and a quarter, but thats okay.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I had the 2+2 Sweepers too and liked them but I wanted a little more height and pull back so I changed to the Wild1 chubby W0502's.
They are a little taller and wider than the Sweepers. I am really liking them, plus the are 1.25 and easy to wire internally.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Handle bars for your RGU

I went throught the same thing. Ended up with "Heritage bars for a Roadglide" no extensions needed a little rise and good pull back... $99 at HD out of catalog and one hour labor to install. Good luck, CSM-H

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
When I did mine I went with an extended clutch cable so I could route it the way I wanted to, also go a cvo twist grip sensor elimnating the dreaded green plug in the handle bars and giving me a little more with length, good luck!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have a 2012 RGU and was having the same issues you are. I went with cycle vision RG+2 bars, they are 2 inches taller and have the same wrist angle as the stock bars which I liked. When I installed mine I leaned them back a little more than stock to get them closer to me. No brake line or cable extensions needed. You do have to change the routing of the clutch cable. It solved my shoulder problems.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
What you need is HD Heritage Style Handlebars HD part #56902-08. Put them on my bike in 08 and I still love them. You can use all the stock wires and cables.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have just installed the Roland Sands Glider bars about 2" taller than the OEM but same wrist position.

- Available for all FLTR Models with Fairings
- 1" diameter to accept stock or aftermarket hand controls
- Will work with stock cables and brake lines
- 33" wide x 9" rise x 7-3/4" center width x 4" pullback
- Slotted and drilled to allow internal wiring
- Knurling for risers at 3-1/8" on-center
- Stylish multi-hole drilled corner gusset offers strength and rigidity
- Billet aluminum end caps included
Made in the USA, what's more to say?!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couple of pics. It's not a great comparison because the bars aren't directly on top, but you get the idea.

These look exactly what I was looking for.

Now I'm done for the day, but I had to do some tearing apart than I had figured. I'm going to have to pull the outer fairing to get at the throttle wiring connector. If there is a connector inside the bars, there isn't enough wire to allow you to pull it out even with the bars loose.

I'm hoping there more slack and a connector inside the front fairing.

While I'm in here, I'm going to tighten up the neck bearings and change out the fork oil.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, here's a few updates.

Here's the bars together for a better comparison.

This conversion is doable with factory cables, wiring, and brake line, bust just barely. The throttle wires don't even make it all the way through the bars, but you can make it work.

Of course if you have to remove the outer fairing to get at the wiring. There's plenty of slack you can use for the regular switch harnesses.

Clutch cable routing worked out ok, but it would've been better to get a cable with about 3" more on it.

While I had it down for the bars, I went ahead and tightened the steering neck bearings and changed the fork oil to SE's heavy oil. I also installed a Madstad windshield.

It's a completely different bike. It handles so much better. I have zero pain in my neck, back, and shoulders now. These work very very well. My death wobble is gone, but the bars vibrate when you let go of them. Meh. The bike is more steady, very predictable, and handles more like you'd expect or want it to. This has been the best mod I've done to the bike.

Thanks for all who suggested these bars. The only difference I'd like to have seen, is 1-1/4" thick bars instead of the 1". I could've easily routed the wires internally for a cleaner look and have stiffer bars. All in all, I'm very pleased with the outcome. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
That's exactly how I felt, a inch and a quarter bar wud have gotten a ten from me, but they look good, I love mine, ride much longer and farther and feels good in the twisties, good job DS.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts