Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newby here. I have been reading all kinds of post and need some help to decide on what size apes to get, 12" or 14" for my setup? I see a lot of post that say add 2" to what you think you want, that's where the 14" comes in to play.

I'm 6' with long arms (34" long shirt sizes), my 17 RGS has a CVO seat that is lower and set me back from a stock seat. Looking at Factory 47 bars at either 12" or 14". Does anyone have the same setup and height and input on what bars they are running?

After watching countless you-tubes, I plan on doing this install myself and will also change out the riser bushings (haven't seen anything on this for a 2017 RG).

Thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
Newby here. I have been reading all kinds of post and need some help to decide on what size apes to get, 12" or 14" for my setup? I see a lot of post that say add 2" to what you think you want, that's where the 14" comes in to play.

I'm 6' with long arms (34" long shirt sizes), my 17 RGS has a CVO seat that is lower and set me back from a stock seat. Looking at Factory 47 bars at either 12" or 14". Does anyone have the same setup and height and input on what bars they are running?

After watching countless you-tubes, I plan on doing this install myself and will also change out the riser bushings (haven't seen anything on this for a 2017 RG).

Thanks
I am 6'-3" with long arms. I have 16" factory 47 bars on my last 2 bikes. Also run CVO seats. They are just right for me. I just got back from a 5800+ mile ride through 7 states counting my own. No discomfort due to the bars. I have another bike with 18" bars on it. I rode it to Key West last year. Again no discomfort due to bars. I'd try to find folks with different bars and maybe they will let you sit on their bike just to see how they feel. I'd hate to see you buy bars and regret it later on. Bars and all that go with them can be expensive. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

Thanks
Buy the 12's so you can give them to me when you should have gone with the 14's. Im 5"6 and am running the 10" chizel lows and Im having to stretch to reach them. If I would have gone with a 12 I could have pulled them back some to ease my reach.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. The 14" are looking good for me so far. I like to do long ride and was a little concerned about being to far above the shark. Also I Don't want to have to give them to Eddie, sorry, nice try. Second on the help, y'all are to funny.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I am 6'2" I will go for the Harley fat Apes 15" (although I am still wondering whether I should go for the Factory 47 14 ")

Oscar

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I have found that is really is a crap shoot on what you want and where you want your arms to be - I am 5'11 (never measured my arms) and had a '15 RGS with 12 inch HD Tall Boys and loved them - I had an '11 Wide Glide with 18 inch RSDs and loved them too - Both had low profile seats and I was all good on either - I now run the 10 inch HD Chizzeld Lows on my 17 with a CVO seat and dig how they feel like low flat track bars to me while I push and pull them in and out of corners

The only thing I would add is to echo what Brother SWO said, 12 inch bars are fine with stock cables and I have heard you can go as high as 14 with some bars and run the stock cables too - Don't forget about pullback as IMHO, that plays just as big a role in the bar too

Yep, none of the above helped you out at all.........sorry

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
I have found that is really is a crap shoot on what you want and where you want your arms to be - I am 5'11 (never measured my arms) and had a '15 RGS with 12 inch HD Tall Boys and loved them - I had an '11 Wide Glide with 18 inch RSDs and loved them too - Both had low profile seats and I was all good on either - I now run the 10 inch HD Chizzeld Lows on my 17 with a CVO seat and dig how they feel like low flat track bars to me while I push and pull them in and out of corners

The only thing I would add is to echo what Brother SWO said, 12 inch bars are fine with stock cables and I have heard you can go as high as 14 with some bars and run the stock cables too - Don't forget about pullback as IMHO, that plays just as big a role in the bar too

Yep, none of the above helped you out at all.........sorry
Ok

Let’s really help this guy out

Go 14” Apes

Ride the shit out of your bike for a few months

If you end up digging the 14”, your done

If you are digging your 14” apes and your now thinking 16” apes would have really been the perfect bars, then sell your 14” on here and pull out your wallet.

Lol

Seriously if your looking to save some money and you hate the stock bars, go with 12” to 14”

If your willing to replace your cables which if your using the factory cables, I highly suggest going to steel cables anyway, way better braking power

Tell your lady it’s a saftey thing $$$, and you’ll need wire extensions

It’s a one time deal brother so buck it up once and be done

Looking forward in seeing what you end up with

Good Luck

Swomack

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
On my 12 I had 10" and 16", I liked them both.
On my 17 I have 14" f47. I went with 14" because they they fit with the factory lines and wires.

I am 5'9 and use a forward seat and my bars are forward. No shoulder pain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
New member here and happen to be in the same quandary however, I’m 6’6” and plan to install Factory 47 14” bars on my 15 RGS. For me, it has to be both comfortable and aesthetically pleasing, the 16s are just a bit too high above the fairing for my liking. I’m not a long distance rider, most of my riding consists of <100 mile day trips and the factory 9” bars work however, anything above that, including the aforementioned 14s, should be an improvement. The only task I won’t tackle is replacing them myself. I don’t wish to get stuck with a wiring issue while the bikes apart in my garage with a need to suddenly move it to a repair shop while it’s bars are off the bike. By the way, does anyone know of any discounting available on the Factory 47s?

·
Registered
46 Posts

Thanks

Here is my bike with factory47 14 inch bars on mine I’m 6 ft tall with 34 inch inseam,if that helps any.
Factory47 bar measures a little shorter than most other bars.
And stock lines and wires worked fine but was very close to being too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts