Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took mounting plate put of my pack. Didn't realize these studs not bolts that hold the pack to the rack. Anyone know what size? I need to get lockwashers and NUTS so I can get it on. Thanks. I guess the studs might pull out. Didn't check.

Oh and while the to rack is narrow enough to fit in a saddlebag it is to tall. But
it was worth a try.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
They do not use lock washers they use a flat washer only later I can take one off and check the size. The nut is a flange nut also.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
My TP is on its storage location on the wall. Im dealing with some back issues so I’m not in a position even if I wanted to go take it down. Sometimes a lot can be said for ordering everything from H-D all at once. I ordered the TP with everything needed to detach and all parts, hinges, lock and key etc were all included. I’m all for aftermarket parts in a lot of areas. However the TP was important enough to me to get everything from H-D that was tried and true.

I cut corners on the last two bikes with TPs in mind and it wasn’t worth it. I’ve purchased used and had them painted, installed premium latches and hinges, seat with mounts and so on. In the end this time around I can appreciate getting home with my parts, putting it together and being done with it.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If that's a HD tour pak it should have come with the nuts and washers.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I tried to order all the nuts and all but what I got does not fit. I used to microfiche on ronnie's. Anyway if someone could let me know I wouldn't have to bring the entire metal plate to the hardware store.

I tried to avoid all this...yet here I am. Lol. But I always buy the harley tour pack. Well worth the money for someone who uses it all the time and has weird color bike.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
The nuts come off with 7/16 but the nut has two sides that are flater and longer. You will see that if you look close. But any regular nuts will do. As I said it uses a flat washer and flang nut.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it's an HD tour pack. No nuts and washers I could find but I'll go dig through the rest of teh wrapping. Yeah I remember last time I had to get nuts as well and I ordered from Horny Toad last time also. Hopefully someone knows what size but I'm gonna go put the hinges on teh tour pack.

One more question?
DOES THE LINER SIT ON TOP OF THE METAL PLATE OR DO I POKE HOLES AND HAVE THE METAL PLATE SIT ON TOP OF LINER AND THEN USE THE RUBBER LINER? Last time I just set the liner in the pack (this is a factory HD liner as well) but it seems like with the rushmore packs, they don't fit well unless the plate is on top of the liner. Let me know please.

Compared the Harley liner ($80) to the $40 Amazon liner, with the base plate removed they both fit about the same but the Harley one is a little thicker and all black. Giving the other one to a buddy who doesn't have one. My wifi doesn't work in teh shop as it's metal or I'd bring the laptop out there.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Yeah it's an HD tour pack. No nuts and washers I could find but I'll go dig through the rest of teh wrapping. Yeah I remember last time I had to get nuts as well and I ordered from Horny Toad last time also. Hopefully someone knows what size but I'm gonna go put the hinges on teh tour pack.

One more question?
DOES THE LINER SIT ON TOP OF THE METAL PLATE OR DO I POKE HOLES AND HAVE THE METAL PLATE SIT ON TOP OF LINER AND THEN USE THE RUBBER LINER? Last time I just set the liner in the pack (this is a factory HD liner as well) but it seems like with the rushmore packs, they don't fit well unless the plate is on top of the liner. Let me know please.

Compared the Harley liner ($80) to the $40 Amazon liner, with the base plate removed they both fit about the same but the Harley one is a little thicker and all black. Giving the other one to a buddy who doesn't have one. My wifi doesn't work in teh shop as it's metal or I'd bring the laptop out there.
Plate goes under liner. And it is a good idea to have help when you set it on . If you try to set it on put studs through holes you may well lose it before you get a nut on. No holes get poked in liner.
Just had mine off to change the sidearm light from red to smoke.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you get the latch bolts on the inside of the out without destroying the runner seal? Looks like I press it down and hope it doesn't get damaged. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it seems I have two sets of them and the washers as I didn't know they were included. The bits feel really tight after a few turns. Just clarifying these are the right ones. Two sides flat flange nuts.

Now for another question. Took both hinges off before reading instructions which say do one at a time. Lol. First off how do I keep from damaging rubber seal when installing two to top screws that sit behind the seal? I'm using a pick to try and ensure the screws don't t rip the seal but...got em out fine though.

And, is it easier to put the top part of the latches first or the bottom? I see how one at a time would be simpler. No rush I got days till my rack will be done.

Latch and lock is done rattle be damned. I see I can tighten the lock with it in place so if need be I'll do that.

Lots more questions coming folks. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
How do you get the latch bolts on the inside of the out without destroying the runner seal? Looks like I press it down and hope it doesn't get damaged. Am I missing something here?
Just be careful. Can be a pain to watch this but it should help. That lid can get away from you. I will repeat this get some help. That lid can get away from you quick. Same when you put the tour pak on.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Make sure you the latches in the correct spot. They are different front to rear.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So how is it coming? Going to suck if you get to all back together and then reside to go smoked lens
That would suck, however I already thought about that when I did my LED turn signals. Front are smoked, rear are red. So I have until it's not raining to get this all fenagled and it all depends on when I get my tp rack back as well. I'll have this pack all put together later today I'm sure. Just woke up. Slept in until almost 8 am so bear with me as I am not awake yet.

Questions:
1. What size hole do I drill for the lightbar screw holes?
2. What size hole do I drill for the wiring harness?
I;m going to Ace to get the supplies I need once awake.

Here's my list...
1. Painters tape
2.Pilot bit
3.drill bit for screws for lghtbar
4.dremel carbide bit (I have the other ones I think)
5. Stepped drill bit for power plug hole
6.Split grommet for power plug hole
8-16x9/16 screws (length is unknown so I'll buy 5/8" and 1/2")

I think that's all I need, but I'll probab ly grab a few more 1/4x20 nuts just to ensure the ones I have are not too small as t hey feel really tight on the stud after a few threads, ya know kind how a nut feels when you force it on and strip the bolt...

Oh, I also need the wire bundle cover that mounts under the backrest on the tour pack. That'll have to be ordered somewhere unless I can use the one off my 2013. It's freezing in my shop so I don't usually go out there until 11 or so although it;s pretty warm this morning...45*.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My bike is a 19 Special. Factory Harley lightbar and marker lights. I got the factory TP wiring harness off eBay, and the Namz connector that goes from under the seat. Since I'm cutting of the wire shelf on the adapter plate, and my seat seat fits super tight due to the fact it locks to pins, not sure how this is all going to work. I think wiring is typically run down right side strut maybe, like where the antenna is? Dunno, never had an Ultra and never have put power to my TP before.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
My bike is a 19 Special. Factory Harley lightbar and marker lights. I got the factory TP wiring harness off eBay, and the Namz connector that goes from under the seat. Since I'm cutting of the wire shelf on the adapter plate, and my seat seat fits super tight due to the fact it locks to pins, not sure how this is all going to work. I think wiring is typically run down right side strut maybe, like where the antenna is? Dunno, never had an Ultra and never have put power to my TP before.
I will take picture for you to look at.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts