Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
This shows where all the wire run. Mine has a connector added line for the filler lights you won't have that. Also speaker wiring and passenger controls.The tabs you see on rear of steel plate are grounds.
I am putting the rest on this link.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@smitty901 Thank you. I'm assuming the light bar goes as high as it can on the pack like so. Also the harley hinges have and F and R for orientation didn't realize that yesterday they're attached to the lid which will get put on once the light bar is installed

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Well you drilled pretty much going where it is now. Looks pretty darn close . The side view will have a larger gap because light frame slops down a bit.
Do you have sidearm lights yet?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well you drilled pretty much going where it is now. Looks pretty darn close . The side view will have a larger gap because light frame slops down a bit.
Do you have sidearm lights yet?

View attachment 422271 View attachment 422272
Thanks. Without the lid on the tour pack it is difficult to tell how close to put and I don't want install the lid, take it back off, etc. I found that I have two of the proper screw's to attach the light. I need to go to the other ACE in my area and see what they have. Hopefully they have 8-16. No point in drilling until I have the fasteners to attach this thing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Is it all done yet?
Not quite. Waiting on some stupid "Harley is the only company that has this weird size screw screws". My TP rack (adapter plate) is done at the machine shop. Didn't have time to get there today so I'll grab taht tomorrow AM. Hopefully that works with the seat. We'll see...Special screws are about two weeks out. Utterly ridiculous but I went to two ace hardware s ans looked at EVERY DAMN SCREW in their specialty hardware aisles. 8-16 does not exist according to them, and a few other places I talked to. Fastenal said no go. Every screw in the store went from plain #8 to #8-32.

So here's the kicker on the screws. I got my lightbar used and the PO had the 8-16 screws in his but kept them for his new tinted bar. There were two of these screws holding in the rear hole of the marker light fake chrome covers, so I have two. But I need 12. Ordered ten. 6-8 days to Newcastle then who knows how long to me. So the kicker is that these light bars and marker lights utilize self tapping screws, so I could probably use whatever and be fine, however since this bar and marker lights were mounted stock with 8-16x9/16" screw so I want to use that size as they are used and pre-tapped for me.

Anyway, used the template, drilled holes and cut the hole for electrical connector. All good there. Tomorrow I'll run my wiring and see what I need to connect the power port as well and test everything, after i pick up the rack. But I'm dead in the water for probably two weeks.

I'll add some pics from the phone. I put my lid on top of the pack and traced the bottom of the light bar with a sharpie so I had an exact spot to put the light bar that was perfectly lined up. We'll see if that works in a few weeks.

I'll explain the pics as I post them. Also talked to Corbin. They do not make that seat that locks to the baggers anymore they said, but they said they can get me a power harness that will connect to an accessory power plug as opposed to their fucked up fuse box power that they use. We'll see if that happens. I am thinking I can mod my old Corbin power for the heated portion of the seat to make it attach to a heated grip style pug so I might do that at the same time as all this, although I've never felt I needed a heated seat, it just fell into my lap for cheap.

I got time to burn and it's gonna be in the mid 50s tomorrow and hopefully no rain so I'm going riding. Super warm for January here. Stay tuned as the saga continues.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I mean this in good fun. Now you see why I just get the RGU and now RG limited to start with. In 07 Purchased out first RG. They did no have a RGU then. Added factory tour pack with detach kit. In 2011 they offered the first RGU 2011 also the first Touring bike with 103 Standard. It did not take me long to get there.
No madder what HD puts on them we find reasons and ways to change them. Ink was not even dry on the check and I knew the red was coming off the back and smoke Lens LED was going on.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I mean this in good fun. Now you see why I just get the RGU and now RG limited to start with. In 07 Purchased out first RG. They did no have a RGU then. Added factory tour pack with detach kit. In 2011 they offered the first RGU 2011 also the first Touring bike with 103 Standard. It did not take me long to get there.
No madder what HD puts on them we find reasons and ways to change them. Ink was not even dry on the check and I knew the red was coming off the back and smoke Lens LED was going on.
Oh, i Get it. My reasoning is that I did not want the liquid cooling as I see that as one more thing that will eventually break. Combine that with not being able to remove the lowers and I was not juming that bandwagon. I'm a creature of habit. 13 FLTRX added tour pack 9no lights on that bike) 19 FLTRXS (both orange) added tourpack with lights. I bught used but I guess I could have found an Ultra for around what I paid but once I realized I'm stuck with lowers all the time and read up on the liquid head cooling I balked.

I know I'm going to spend plenty of money on any motorcycle I buy so I got what I wnated and I'll make it how I like it. I found mysefl thinking I should have gotten smoked light bar and marker lights when I was trying to fall asleep last night. But I got install cam, get stereo and install, get vented dipstick and find a way to vvent my a/c, and then I'm sure I'll find other stuff I want to do as well.

My theory is I keep my bikes for a very long time (I still have my 2013) so I'm not losing money, and I enjoy the modding process. Not as much as riding but it's a close second. I'd rather spend money on my Harley than anything else aside from traveling on the Harley. I'm a single guy so I do as I please but I did what i pleased when I was married too.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It's time for me to brush up on connector disassembly and reassembly. I've done it plenty of times but the vast majority of my experience is with the Deustch connectors for bars on now older bikes. Luckily we have technology which makes everything look easier than it really is. I will vhae to depin the new style molex connector on the harness that runs from under the seat into the tour pack to connect to the tour pack harness. Once technology rains supreme with being able to take pics of the wires and where they go as opposed to having to draw it out like I used to when working on twin cams.

I'm also planning on doing the same for the marker light connectors so I can have a smaller hole to put the wires through and a grommet on. I think those little black connectors (like the heated grip connector are probably pretty simple. I gotta find my dental pic so I'm ready for this. Wiring is not my forte.

I'm assuming that most people take the time to disassemble and reassemble as opposed to drilling a huge hole for their wiring?

The last thing I need to figure out is my power port. The main TP harness has one white connector (like on the end of the heated grips that plugs into the black connector attached to the harness only. Power ports are supposed to hook up through some sort of something taht is not explained in the instruction for install. I want to add a second white connector to the main harness as I do not have speakers on my TP and will not be adding them. My port will mount somewhere else obviously but the white connector on the TP harness is gong to be taken by the marker lights. Damn free parts got me in a tizzy. I guess I'll have to get this wiring hell all laid out and look at it good in order to figure out how to do this, although I'm sure it's probably simpler than I think it is.

Anyway, I'm going to hook all this crap up tomorrow ( I could have been done by now if I didn't spend so much time typing my rambles) and see what shakes. I need a Molex tool? Or is a paperclip sufficient? I think I have a paperclip somewhere.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Tour pack adapter plate test for is complete. With the pack slid all the way to the back of the mounting slots I am able to take off and install my seat. I need to hit this rack with paint. I had far more than necessary cut off in the center of it but works so I'm happy. The seat goes on to the mounting pin and slides forward to lock in place and slides back a hair to be taken off.

Initially, the wire shelf was impeding the rack from lining up in the strut to get the bolts in. The clearance between the rack and the rear fender is extremely minimal. Anyway this will work great. I should probably get this powder coated in gloss black. I'll call and find out cost but I'm sure it can't be more than $40.

It's a good thing there are slots for the tour pack as if there were only holes depending on location that could cause a problem.

As you can see clearance is pretty minimal with the tour pack mounted. Anyway all's well that ends well. Gonna take the rack off and find a powder coated. I have till the light bar screws show up.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,266 Posts
Good call getting your buddy to cut the rack for you (y) If there is anything else small you may want powder coated then now would be the time to do it. Most guys will have a minimum charge so adding a couple small items wont cost any extra.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah thanks for reminding me Ike. I think I'm good. My bike is a special so almost everything is already blacked out already. The only chrome are bag levers, pushrod tubes and my kahuna heated grips. I'm fine with it like it is...for now. Famous last words.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Oh, i Get it. My reasoning is that I did not want the liquid cooling as I see that as one more thing that will eventually break. Combine that with not being able to remove the lowers and I was not juming that bandwagon. I'm a creature of habit. 13 FLTRX added tour pack 9no lights on that bike) 19 FLTRXS (both orange) added tourpack with lights. I bught used but I guess I could have found an Ultra for around what I paid but once I realized I'm stuck with lowers all the time and read up on the liquid head cooling I balked.

I know I'm going to spend plenty of money on any motorcycle I buy so I got what I wnated and I'll make it how I like it. I found mysefl thinking I should have gotten smoked light bar and marker lights when I was trying to fall asleep last night. But I got install cam, get stereo and install, get vented dipstick and find a way to vvent my a/c, and then I'm sure I'll find other stuff I want to do as well.

My theory is I keep my bikes for a very long time (I still have my 2013) so I'm not losing money, and I enjoy the modding process. Not as much as riding but it's a close second. I'd rather spend money on my Harley than anything else aside from traveling on the Harley. I'm a single guy so I do as I please but I did what i pleased when I was married too.

Mr. but I did what I pleased when I was married too is probably why you ain’t married no more. Lol

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Am I the only one who's mind went to bad places when you first read the title of this thread?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts

Still miss my 2013 also.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I still have my 13. Once I fix it my brain says to sell it. We'll see. This 2019 rides so much nicer than the 13 it's not even funny.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Wiring harness update. The namz cb01 is the right harness to attach to the tour pack harness. I'll have to figure out how and where to route this extra connector under the seat in a clean fashion though. If you have added a pack with power show me your neat under seat wiring routing so I can copy you.

And. Power to tour pack harness will run down the left strut and I'll drill a joke in the pack on the left side for it to enter the pack.

I'm thinking running the under the seat harness into the pack makes more sense ( since the pack is staying on) than running the power harness end of the pack harness out. Although I'd like to hear arguments like " what happens when you want to take the tour pack off?" for whatever reason. Hmmm. Gonna think on this.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Yeah thanks for reminding me Ike. I think I'm good. My bike is a special so almost everything is already blacked out already. The only chrome are bag levers, pushrod tubes and my kahuna heated grips. I'm fine with it like it is...for now. Famous last words.

jiffy stand and bracket?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts