Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay first sorry if long, but I've got a problem. I bought the 02 RG with a 95" kit on it.My indy says looking at the pistons and the mid cam it was high compression of close to 10-1. I cant seem to get it to run on straight 93 octane gas. I had a PC3 with a canned map installed when purchased...ran good , strong but needed to put Amsoil quick shot additive in it so it didn't buck or miss or spit while running. I've read other threads where this has happened to others, but they did'nt find a fix. I have now purchased a new PC3 ( last week old PC quit working and put the bike on 1 cylinder and popped the 15 amp ECM fuse). So I went to Sabine performance here in Dallas and had him install new PC and tune it. Bike came back with okay results as far as performance, but after she runs for 20 sometimes as much as 50 miles it starts the bucking, missing again.

My questions are does anyone else heard or know of someone who has this problem with the Ethanol? Is it a gas problem? ...or should'nt the PC be tuned for this type of problem and be set to compensate the Ethanol. Is there a fix or am I going to stuck with a bike ( without removeing motor upgrades) that requires an additive every fill up?

Sorry for the ramble...been dealing with this since I purchased and getting fed up with dropping more $$. I know mpg's will be sacrificed, and this bike doesn't have that much comprression to warrent this type of performance. Any thoughts, remedies and advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Man, you must be redain' my mail!

I have an '01 RG. Fought the same symptoms for years. YES YEARS! 5 OR 6 different dealers. Always something but NEVER really fixed this thing. It's fixed now, thanks to Frank Drago.

And no, I ain't Franks biotch! HA! You being in Big D seeing him is probably not an option.

I always tended to blame the M&M EFI. Put completely new Thundermax in it. Still had problems. Ovr the years I about did everything imaginable.

You know that bike is not getting any younger. I tell ya I think you should look for intermittent shorts to ground. My bike had 3!! All of them are/were located along the bottom right side frame rail. ABout in line with the rear end of the floorboard. If you put it on a lift it will be in the way. The crank position sensor harness will run right there. It was one of the shorts. I can't remember the others.

Shorts that are intermittent will play hell with ya, I know that.

Good Luck Monte

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll certainly take a look under there...I changed the regulator out last month , so know where your talking about. But not sure how this would explain why it runs well when I use that Amsoil additive...I'm puzzeled and frustrated....but thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
I agree todays Gas sucks and does not save anything . Seems like you should be able to tune the bike down to meet the fuel standard with 10:1 compression.

You sure your not over looking something ?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've got a 2002 RG with 57,000 miles on it. It's 95" with cams and Headquarters heads, probably around 9.7 or so compression. It is tuned with Direct Link software which modifies the HD ECM. It's been running 10% ethanol for years with no problems. It was tuned on a Dyno.

You've got something else causing your problems other than ethanol.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'll certainly take a look under there...I changed the regulator out last month , so know where your talking about. But not sure how this would explain why it runs well when I use that Amsoil additive...I'm puzzeled and frustrated....but thanks for the suggestion.
Not doubting you at all. I chased phantom "patterns" forever. Jus' sayin'.

I tend to agree with edy39. I've ridden at 10,000 feet on cheap, low octane gas and to tell the truth is really was not that much of a factor. Thing ran fine. And I'm referring to an engine not unlike yours.

Wish I could be more help. Good Luck with it. If nuthin' else I can relate how damn frustrating some of these Harley bugs can be.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to my dyno guru ...he said we'll put her back on and re-check settings to see if he missed something...will fix it or find out the problem ...then fix it or we'll just blow it up ! ...I said either one sounds good to me...so heres to some good luck...lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
While I agree that you may have other problems the fact that Quickshot SE helps really suggests that your ethanol fuel is a big part of the problem.

One thing Quickshot SE is designed to do is to disperse the ethanol into fine enough molecules that it can get through the fuel system. Ethanol attracts water from the atmosphere and creates a set of problems very similar to having water in the gas. Ethanol combined with water can be too large to pass through carb jets and fuel injectors though the fact that fuel injectiors are under pressure may allow it to be pushed through the injector but still not be atomized properly and therefore not properly combust. When you use Quickshot you are dispersing the ethanol droplets better and that may mean more complete combustion which causes the engine to run smoother.

I know it's a pain in the ass to carry fuel additive but when it prevents a problem such as yours I think it's a small price to pay.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The '11 is great except for a little hiccup when taking off from standing start. Not your issue obviously. Being without that coffin on there is great! And, obviously having ALL the original controls.

Turns out the '01 had a crack in the swingarm. And, to top it off I had already replaced wheel bearings etc. Thru the years I had always heard that an '02 swingarm is better. '01s fail. True enough. What peeps didn't add, and I did not know, what that the pivot shafts are different 5/8ths on the '01 and 3/4 pm the '02. Same drill if I'd jumped to '07.

So, ended up welding the original swingarm. Bought new enhanced axle adjusters. All that's finallly done. I sanded it down last night. Ready to paint it and put it back together.

Sorry 'bout the hijack Monte. Hope you get her running like it should soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the dealer called today and my bike is fixed. It had 2 holes in the in-tank fuel lines ...and 2 enjector wires were broken. So , I guess I have to take tomorrow off and have a day trip to test her out..lol
Thanks to all that replied....time to get the reliabilty confidence back and enjoy the rides ahead!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nobody has suggested a timing problem or adjustment yet???
From the description of the problem, that would be a good place to start from. Still scratching my head about blowing the 15 amp fuse. Blowing a fuse is from a short or too much voltage passing over the circuit. If this was an easy problem to solve, it would have been solved earlier, I know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts