Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have been back actively riding for a few years now. I always take my car/truck to the quick oil change store or dealer for its oil changes but prefer to do my bikes myself.

Living here in the South on the Gulf of Mexico hurricanes are a common predator and being without power for hours to weeks, even months on rare occasions so I bought a generator a few years ago.

The generator uses A LOT of oil so I have been saving my bike oil to put in it when the time comes. I figure old oil is not a big deal for the generator as it is gone very quickly and I change my oil usually before it needs it.

Anyway, the past few years we have been luck and dodge the bullet of the hurricanes and now I have an abundance (about 10 gallons) of used oil piling up in the garage.

So my question is:

What do you do with your excess old oil? How do you dispose of it?

I thought about dropping it off at the Super Lube after hours ?​

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Auto zone or advanced takes used oil. Take two or three gallons at a time and no one will say anything as if they would anyways cause they sell the old oil .

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Auto zone or advanced takes used oil. Take two or three gallons at a time and no one will say anything as if they would anyways cause they sell the old oil .
+1 - That is what I do as well... I think the max you can take at a time is something like 15-18 quarts... something like that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well used motor oil is good for several things
It can be used to help rid dogs of Manes, fleas ticks just used oil. Let sit on them for awhile day or so outside of course. Old school remedy.
Also If you have a post fence type fencing on your land, pour on top of post cures the post so they never crack or get any type of termites down into them.
And heard this one pour around your house or shed on ground I KNOW<<<< but its suppose to keep termites from getting into what ever you surround.

Just thought I would put my 2 cents in.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Dig a hole and dump it in. Lightly cover it with dirt and grass, and you have yourself some killer landmines for those annoying neighbor kids who won't stay out of your yard. ;)

I am kidding of coarse, just dump it down the sink :p

W

·
0 Posts
Our local Landfill (Dump) have drums where you can dump all your oil no matter how much it is. I take a 5 gallon bucket with a lid when it is full.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Our local Landfill (Dump) have drums where you can dump all your oil no matter how much it is. I take a 5 gallon bucket with a lid when it is full.
+1 on that. A few of the county recycling centers here have ones for oil, used filters, antifreeze, old gas, paint, etc

·
Registered
816 Posts
Lotta folks up here have waste oil burners in the bigger fleet and commercial garages. Most of them will let you dump all you want, happy to get it.
Free fuel for them and keeps used oil out of the storm drains.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The city of Houston has sites set up to dump it in check with your city all you have to do is pull in and the hot check writers and those the judge orders to work will take it out for you leave watch at home or crack your window just a little :D .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts