Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks,

I have 1/2" and 3/8" drive Ft/lbs torque wrenches but I don't have a small inch/lbs torque wrench... this is for the small T27 torx bolts of the primary. What torque wrench are you guys using?? or just using your handmeter?? :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've always used my "handmeter". I grew around wrenching with may dad being a mechanic. He always told me "tight is tight, too tight is broken". I had every bolt off my motor on my old RK and never broke any. Many cordless drivers have inch lbs settings. The numbers under the chuck that rotate are usually inch lbs. double check the manual if you're unsure.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
NAPA has a 3/8" drive for $79 that I'm looking at.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Craftsman has one that goes down to about 10 in/lbs IIRC.
Be careful when you go to buy one and check the range on it.
I bought a cheapy that I couldn't use because the torque values wouldn't go down low enough.
I had to replace it with the one that met my needs.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a 1/4" Proto - 0 - 160 inch pounds and it worth it's weight in gold for the work that I do. I have all three of my torque wrenches calibrated every year by the snap-on truck just to be safe......

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I have a 1/4" Proto - 0 - 160 inch pounds and it worth it's weight in gold for the work that I do. I have all three of my torque wrenches calibrated every year by the snap-on truck just to be safe......
How much did it set you back?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't believe I am sharing this... I started looking in the toolbox... turns out I have a Stanley 3/8" drive torque wrench in inch/lbs... 30-250 inch-lb :rolleyes:

Question is... is it any good and can I trust the darn thing??

·
Registered
505 Posts
How much did it set you back?
Man I use to work for a family owned parts store back in the early 70's they carried Proto & S/K, when I bought it they sold stuff to us a cost +10%. I'm thinking back then it cost me around $50, I use to buy allot of tools from my local Snap-On rep and he could check the wrenches right on his truck which in my case he did for free. I always back them off to zero and never drop them onto anything and always wipe them down and return them to there case's and in case of this one it came in a small cardboard box that what yellow in color. I own three torque wrenches:
1 is 1/4", 1 is 3/8', 1 is 1/2" and like I said earlier they are worth there weight in gold to me when working on Harleys......

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Where should I buy those? Who gives the best price on them?

These guys have them at 46% discount:

ProTorqueTools

Is that as good as it gets, price wise?

·
Registered
505 Posts

It's my understanding the CDI makes all of Snap-On torque wrenches, that should be a good unit to own. Mine is a small frame not much bigger then a long handle Snap-On ratchet but with a bigger barrel so I can get it into tight spaces.

Also I've heard good reviews on this one:http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/torque_wrenches/micrometer_torque_wrench/stockdetails.jsp?view=stock&part=85050
Nicely made in the USA, accurate, affordable easy to read....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts