Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is the right place for it. But how about we start a list for what kind of pie your state is known for?? A this talk about pie on the other thread is getting me hungry.....

:D

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Hair pie used to be a big seller here in the 80's now I guess you would call it hardwood floor pie. LOL my favorite is apple crumb. Tracy B was talking about some milk pie. I think I want to try that. Sounds like a mid west thing though :)

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I was a hair pie fan myself back in the day, but I prefer a good apple crum these days with a little French vanilla.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I think it would be Key Lime here, but I'd give two Key Lime pies for one slice of Rhubarb. ..... :D and I like Key Lime.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,915 Posts
We have one here in Maine that's pretty unique - lobster pie! Definitely not a dessert though. Usually the meat of a whole lobster in a baking dish with a breadcrumb top and lots of butter. Stick it in the oven to warm the lobster, melt the butter and brown the bread crumbs a little bit. The real thing is just that simple and very tasty. No filler like potatos or veggies, etc. Usually served with a baked potato or fries, veggie, and cole slaw or side salad for about $20.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
We have one here in Maine that's pretty unique - lobster pie! Definitely not a dessert though. Usually the meat of a whole lobster in a baking dish with a breadcrumb top and lots of butter. Stick it in the oven to warm the lobster, melt the butter and brown the bread crumbs a little bit. The real thing is just that simple and very tasty. No filler like potatos or veggies, etc. Usually served with a baked potato or fries, veggie, and cole slaw or side salad for about $20.
I'll gladly send you $20 for a pie...... can't wait for SWIV, I'm sure I'll have a few lobster pies. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Super Moderator
5,879 Posts
Kentucky is known for Derby Pie. Its basically a walnut or pecan pie with chocolate chips and bourbon.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,915 Posts
I'll gladly send you $20 for a pie...... can't wait for SWIV, I'm sure I'll have a few lobster pies. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710
Looks like another all time record catch this year so there's no shortage of "bugs" (which is what lobstermen call them). I have a neighbor whose brother-in-law is a full time lobster fisherman and he's pulled some traps this year with 40-60"bugs" in them, when 4-12 is more typical. He claims it's because most of the bottom feeding groundfish stocks have been so overfished over the last 20 years that there are few natural predators of lobsters left swimming around, so the lobster population is just booming. It's both good news and bad news as he's only being paid $1.50 - $2.00 per pound by the wholesale buyer becuase of the over abundance of them coming to the docks. Soft shells have been consistently around $3.99 retail all summer on the coast. Goooood eatin'!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Pie isnt huge or famous in Colorado. But we have the best peaches in the world, from the Western slope. I have had some peach pies that made me question my religeon...haha.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Did we mention that you can put a little in your morning coffee if ya needed to get someone not usetose the taste:) to enjoy it

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pecan is the state pie of Texas although it was not listed on the earlier link. Buttermilk pie is seen around here a lot as well and it tastes way better than it sounds.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts