Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Ultra with 12,800 miles on her. Last weekend I went to myrtle beach and the bike died. It has a PC5 on it that i installed from fuel moto,(Jamie) a couple of years ago. I had it tuned and dynoed from a PC dealer at beach about same time. Anyways, bike dies so I checked a few things and finally unplugged pc5 and bike started. did this a few times so left it off and bike ran fine. Question is what should I do, try another pc5 or go to HD and try their race tuner or what works that will last? Bike is stock except a/c and exhaust slipons, and $$$ is tight. what is best route for me to go?:confused:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a 2009 Ultra with 12,800 miles on her. Last weekend I went to myrtle beach and the bike died. It has a PC5 on it that i installed from fuel moto,(Jamie) a couple of years ago. I had it tuned and dynoed from a PC dealer at beach about same time. Anyways, bike dies so I checked a few things and finally unplugged pc5 and bike started. did this a few times so left it off and bike ran fine. Question is what should I do, try another pc5 or go to HD and try their race tuner or what works that will last? Bike is stock except a/c and exhaust slipons, and $$$ is tight. what is best route for me to go?:confused:
Contact Fuel Moto. I hear they have great customer service. Tell them what happened and see where it leads. If it runs without the PC5 then what have you lost?

·
Registered
8,289 Posts
NightRider VIED for around a buck. If all your running is air cleaner and pipes it will be fine.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
If that's all you've done to it! Leave it off, likely wasn't doing right in the first place for just [freeing] opening breathing&exhaust which is the standard to do anyways

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, but hopeing for more info!

Ok you are right about all I have done, but a friend has a 2009 street glide with same mods, had a HD race tune downloaded and tuned and unless you have a built bike he cannot be beaten, thats how much difference there is in our 2 bikes. My question is ??? does a PC5 being tuned and dynoed and tuned, not do very much for you? Does a race tune from HD make that much difference? We bought bikes from same dealer almost same time and I know he has not been into the engine, but nobody around here can touch him unless they are really built. I am looking for info.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Seems with FI and all the plug&plays there're it's a matter of adjusting to your style and how hard you want to transfer pwr & economy. Had our '03 95" hookers and highflow (PCIII) dynoed tuned once in '05 and it ran like shit in the mountains, ting on pulls, 2up fullyllaoded or not. Upgraded the injectors and laptop loaded and manually adj the PC for my style. Looking back or just the 200mi up 101N last wknd there is only so much range in FI without engine work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
if you have not solved your problem yet, it is easy for you to hook the pc5 up to your computer and throw a canned tune on it and try it again on your bike to see if thats the problem files can become corrupt and not work or the commander could be pouched i did my own last year i believe you can store the dynoed file while adding the canned and switch from 1 to the other

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you decide to go with a flash based tuner, decide who you want to dyno tune it first, then use the tuner they recommend. It doesn't do any good to decide you want "X" brand tuning device and take it to a dyno tuner that only tunes "Y" brand. Most of the big name tuners (TTS, SEPST, Vision etc.) have the same features and will get you very similar results. I've been dyno tuning a long time and am comfortable saying that the flashed based tuners will get better results than any "piggyback" tuner out there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a PCV on my last bike and ended up throwing it away.

I have a SERT on my present 103 and have done two, on-road, smart tune sessions with it. It runs cool, pulls better than any other bike in our group, and gets 44 mpg. I am sold on the SERT. The only downside is the steep (for me) learning curve.

But, if you get an SERT and discover you're over your head, you just drive over to the H-D dealer and put it on their dyno. No problemo.

I really like having a closed loop system and not having anything added on to the ECM.

I like Fuel Moto headers and mufflers very, very much. They've been less helpful to me with issues of tuning.

I realize your milage may vary (figuratively and literally)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts