Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, im brand new to this forum, been looking for awhile but never posted. Yep this is another bar question. After 29,xxx on my 10' Crossbones I decided it was time to trade the bar stool in on a Barcalounger and got a 13' Road Glide. Now heres my question, I'm a little over 6 foot tall and the stock bars are killing me. Been looking around and like the looks of the Carlini flying apes in 12", probally. I'd like to get your opinions and suggestions before I get to involved. Will those bars clear the tank and fairing, by my measurments they will. Will stock equip. work? Lots of good threads on here, been a huge help already. Thanks

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Couldn't tell you on those bars. I'm 5'8" and installed the +2 sweepers which have fixed my aches and pains. I know that doesn't help ya but welcome to the tank. Someone will help you out. Great group of riders here.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm also 5'8" so I can't tell you about the bars, but I can tell you that the quality of Carlini is A1.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Welcome aboard. and congrats on the new ride. Handlebars? There are tons to choose from, and up to 12" you shouldn't have any problem using the stock wires and cables. Flying apes are cool. I am running 14" Chubby bars and don't have any complaints at all.

Rowdy

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Welcome. Many members like the HD Heritage style handlebars and they only cost $80 and all your stock wires will work. If you want a internally wired handlebar then you will need another handlebar.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can't comment on the 12" bars except to say the wires and cables should work.
When I bought my bike the dealership had installed 10" Roland Sands bars and they were very uncomfortable. Since I had 12" bars on my Street Glide and always thought they should be taller I went with 14" Santee's on this Road Glide. I have only taken a few short rides but find them very comfortable. I'm 6' tall but I also have a C&C solo seat which lowers you just a little bit from stock according to them.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
welcome from MA,
Im 6' and run 16" and would go with 18" if had to do it again.so do your homework and get it right the first time!! and change out the rubber riser bushings when you put the new bars on.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
welcome from MA,
Im 6' and run 16" and would go with 18" if had to do it again.so do your homework and get it right the first time!! and change out the rubber riser bushings when you put the new bars on.
Remember that going to high with handlebars takes the fairing out of the picture when it come to protecting the hands. It all depends on how much you ride, if looking cool on your bar hopper is what you want then a taller handlebars may be for you. If you want to tour and do 300 to 600 mile rides you may want a handlebar that keeps your hands below your shoulders, the main reason for keeping the hands lower is better blood circulation in your hands and if you ride in the rain you won't have water running down your arms into the rest of your clothing making your rain protection worthless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, lots of good suggestions. Appreciate it guys. If any of you have ever been around the easten part of Montana you know we have to go about two hundred miles to get anywhere! LOL So yes comfort is the main concern. Havent pulled the trigger yet but shortly, I'd hate to miss a nice day of riding.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I am around 5'9". The 14" outlaws are shoulder height (needed new wiring) but it is possible at 6'+ with 12" you would still hunch over a bit. Perhaps the pullback on the carlinis fixes this for you? Don't know if that helps (depends on why the stock bars are killing ya) but welcome man!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm 5'10" and have a 2012 RGC with the stock seat for now and 10" PYO Monkey Bars. I wish i'd have gone with at least 14" bars. I'm thinking about putting 16" Burlys. My buddy has 16" bars on his 06 RK and he's the same height as me. I rode his RK one day and loved the 16" bars! Granted that the 06 RK is a completely different frame from my 12 RG. I bet you'd love higher bars especially if you're 6ft +. My suggestion is to find someone with tall bars on and sit down and see how they feel.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma your cheapest route is the heritage bars cuz since we're all different it's hard to tell ya I know that my friends were telling me that I needed 14 in apes that would be perfect but they haven't had 26 shoulder surgeries but hell I couldn't get it through there heads so I went with the 70 dollar heritage bars and there perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I put Horizon's HeliBars on my bike. When I first got my Glide, I posted something similar to your post. I couldn't believe the poor quality and awful wrist angle of the stock bars. The Helis are engineered to be almost infinitely adjustable and are top quality. Their customer service is top notch too. They are not cheap, but they ended my search for the right bars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the help guys. Well i decided on the Wild 1 Outlaws in 12", received them and got them put on yesterday. I like the feel so far, of course i havent rode with them yet. All the stock equip. worked, i did reroute the clutch cable. I also put on one of HDs magnum grips, cant remeber the exact model, but their a little fatter than stock and liked that feel on the other bike. Now just gotta wait for the snow to melt! Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts