Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Going to do my first oil change as a Harley owner here in the next few weeks with my buddy Scott. Whats a good oil filter brand? Not sure if I want to go with Harley brand or K&N yet. What are some other good options? Money and price isn't a concern.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have been using the S&S 31-4103A and it seems to be a good oil filter. I thought about going with the Wix filter, might try it next time.

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Here we go again :)

Best tires, best oil, best brakes, best oil filter..........

Can of worms because everyone has their own preference based on experience, price, ease of use etc.

Any name brand oil filter is going to get the job done if it's the correct oil filter for your application. I'm a K&N guy for ease of removal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I always use K&N oil filters with the nut attached, for ease of removal on the next oil change - this is a big plus, it makes the process easier during oil changes, and of course it's an excellent quality filter as well.
Yep, K&N oil filter, because of the nut on the end, part #K&N - 171B.

HD - 63731-99A, in a pinch.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just did my 1K service,[email protected] with a nut on the end,Have always used them Nut makes so much easier.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I will have to +1 on the K&N because of that nut on top. I refused to use them on my Softail because the filter was exposed and I wanted the clean look (yeah, no one would notice but me, but I noticed). However, on a Softail I could get a small strap wrench in there to remove the slippery little chrome filters which are slicker than snot if even a little oil gets on the outside. The oil cooler and other things on the RG pretty much hide the filter and make using a strap wrench impossible. Out of habit I bought a Chrome Harley filter for my first service on my RG - NEVER AGAIN! Nothing wrong with the H-D brand, I am referring to the difficulty of getting a cap wrench in there. FYI - lesson learned is DO NOT INSERT THE SOCKET EXTENSION INTO THE CAP WRENCH, that 1/8 inch or so the extension protrudes into the cap will prevent you getting a good clean bite on the filter which is slicker than snot. I live next door to a sailor and I think he learned a few new words that day. The moral of the story is get whatever brand your local parts store carries that has a nut on top or make sure the neighborhood kids are all indoors before you start.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
AMSOIL EaOM134 oil filter for Harley’s, synthetic nanofiber medium with 98.7% filtration efficiency (beta=75) at 20 microns per ISO 4548-12, Heavy Wall construction, Double crimped seam, anti-drainback valve, and nitrile gasket.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-equipment/motorcycles/touring-bikes/amsoil-eaom-motorcycle-oil-filters/?zo=210176

Also available in chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just curious, why is the return hole smaller on the amsoil filter than the stock Harley filter and fewer inlet oil holes? Seems counterproductive for oil flow

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just curious, why is the return hole smaller on the amsoil filter than the stock Harley filter and fewer inlet oil holes? Seems counterproductive for oil flow
Return hole has same thread, same hole size, ... no? Otherwise it would not physically fit. As far as the inlet holes, possibly more and bigger is met with diminishing returns. More and bigger didn't make a difference? I'm not sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the K&P Engineering Reusable Oil Filter and love it.
It comes with it's own oil filter wrench and an extra o-ring.
Mike U.
I use a PC Racing FLO reusable oil filter. It has the nut on the back which was a part of my selecting that one.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Return hole has same thread, same hole size, ... no? Otherwise it would not physically fit. As far as the inlet holes, possibly more and bigger is met with diminishing returns. More and bigger didn't make a difference? I'm not sure.
No, see attached pic in my original post. As far as the inlet being smaller, why would HD spec the inlet size larger than necessary? I am just curious...……...

·
Registered
811 Posts

Don’t have a specific answer, but knowing AMSOIL like I do for the last 40 years, their engineers did the development and probably found that more holes did not improve the flow through the filter, plus fewer holes resulted in a stronger base plate. As an engineer myself, there are always trade offs to balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts