Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back to looking into a motor upgrade and wondering how the 107's (stock jug bore kits) been holding up? I'm really leaning towards the S&S 106 who seems to think a 107 bore is a little too much for a stock cylinder and bottom end. How can you argue with S&S ... they've been around how many years now?! Maybe I'm too conservative? :rolleyes:

Anyone selling a 107 kit that doesn't use a bored stock jug?

Once I figure this out than it's cam questions ... but I'll save that thread for another day "Who makes the best torque cam" :eek:

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I'm using the Revolution Performance 107" kit. I have no complaints. I initially had my stock jugs bored, but my crankshaft decided to go south after 500 miles. Nothing wrong with the bored kits.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using the Revolution Performance 107" kit. I have no complaints. I initially had my stock jugs bored, but my crankshaft decided to go south after 500 miles. Nothing wrong with the bored kits.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck! This news really makes me not want to push my luck with a 107!!

Does Revolution re-sleeves their jugs right?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why not just buy a kit with 107 jugs? or are there none?
Most of the 107's "kits" I've ran across are simply stock 96 jugs bored out with new piston's rings, gaskets and what not. I believe Revolution and few others have re-sleeved kits but I'm not quite sure a 96 bottom end is designed to handle the additional stress. Thats's why I'm really considering the S&S 106 kit and want to hear from others who have done a big bore 107 kit.

http://www.sscycle.com/go-fast-showcase/4-steps/step-3-ss-97-and-106-big-bore-kit/

·
Registered
2,727 Posts

I have the same kit myself & have put 30,000 on since the rebuild...went with Screaming Eagle jugs.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I have the Rev 107 also, but I did the bottom end because I wanted gear drive cams and my tolerances were off. Had I known I was going to split the case I would have gone bigger, but the 107 is fine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Does Revolution re-sleeves their jugs right?
That is my understanding. They are rebored with nickel-silcon Carbine plated bores.

I am not going to say my problem with my crankshaft is typical for all twin cams though. A lot people have done similar without issue with their cranks. I don't think my initial bored cylinders had anything to do with it. I also don't think there is any difference between the S&S 106" or any of the 107" bored kits with stock cylinders.

I ride hard and aggressive and that probably played a role in my initial crank problems. With that said I think Harley does not build the bottom end of their motors to handle added HP & TQ over stock since 2002.

Personally, if I ever buy another HD and do this again I will have the bottom end addressed at the same time. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Have been boring Harley cylinders here for over 2 1/2 decades, and we were one of the FIRST shops in the country to start boring the 88" to 98" in 2006, and in 2007 we were then boring the 96" to 107", using our proprietary Wiseco/Cometic kits.
ABSOLUTELY no issues whatsoever bringing those bores to 3.937", as once bored, we then torque hone, then plateau hone. Beautiful cross-hatch, beautiful finish, that is round, and straight.
We have tracked a few of our clients and some have over 40,000 miles on them.
Can't remember the last time we built a 95" or a 103"..........:)
Scott

·
Banned
94 Posts
I have the same kit myself & have put 30,000 on since the rebuild...went with Screaming Eagle jugs.
there`s no difference with SE jugs and regular 88" or 96" jugs,they are just bored to 3.875" at the factory.notheing wrong with having a properly equimp shop bore yours to 3.935".be very carful about getting the nikasil coated cylinders as many have failed in the past

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I am pushing 30K on my Revolution 107" and couldn't be happier. I have had some other issues, but I would necessarily attribute it to the 107. My issues were with the primary bearings. Mine pretty much disinigrated. Was it due to the extra stress on them? I have no idea, What I do know is I ended up with a dependable build that has plenty of power.

Rowdy

·
Registered
84 Posts
OP, you think highly of S&S, well they just came out with a 98 and 107 bore cylinder exchange. I saw it in one of the new magazines I just got.
The crank problems are from riding them to hard, if your easy on your bike you may not have any problem, if not you should have your crank trued balanced and welded. I personally would not do a big bore without getting the crank done, but that's because I know how I ride.
Dark horse and Silver moon are probably your best bet for crank work. They can do anything you need from rod replacement to truing and welding.
Don't be afraid of a 107, just build it right and maintain it right and it will be as dependable as stock. If you go out and raise hell on it you can expect something to give, but the same go'e for a stock bike.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
there`s no difference with SE jugs and regular 88" or 96" jugs,they are just bored to 3.875" at the factory.notheing wrong with having a properly equimp shop bore yours to 3.935".be very carful about getting the nikasil coated cylinders as many have failed in the past
Not defending Rev-Perf, but a TON of the bad press surrounding the Ni-Cad cylinders came from a shop that paired the wrong rings with that plated bore.
He had dirt-floor pricing, and moved quite a few thru his door, so that news got out quickly, and harmed the Rev-Perf name terribly.
I will also add that a class-action lawsuit was in the works against that shop,(not Rev-Perf) but it never materialized.........too bad, as the outfit that caused that horrific mess should have been made to be held responsible for it.
Scott

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm about 4000 miles into my 107 build and couldn't be happier. Just for piece of mind I went ahead and had my crank trued and welded. I used quality parts and had the machine work on the heads and cylinders done by quality people (Hillside) to ensure dependability.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts