Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to do the fairing for now, but I want the flexibility to either add inner fairing speakers or a lid set.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You will get a million different answers for this question. What are you looking to spend on the upgrade? Do you want a plug and play? I personally have a RF PBR300x4 powering 2 Hertz High Energy and I love it. I will be adding lowers and use the other 2 channels then. It's all personal preference.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I figured everyone has an opinion. I'll spend whatever it takes. Plug and play would be a bonus, but I don't want to spend 2x more for a kit just because someone put it all together for dummys.

I also like the idea of getting some speakers that are water "proof" like the Polk Marine 651UM.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have the Hawg Wired amp powering the ZX speakers and they are great ,and they are water proof made for bikes. And i just put in the slim line RF speakers in the inner fairing and they are powered by the RF 300 amp. So i get two very distinct sounds from the different speakers, they work great together.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ya I figured everyone has an opinion. I'll spend whatever it takes. Plug and play would be a bonus, but I don't want to spend 2x more for a kit just because someone put it all together for dummys.

I also like the idea of getting some speakers that are water "proof" like the Polk Marine 651UM.
Since you"ll spend whatever it takes, get high quality top shelf stuff! None of us have had all the possible combinations that are out there to choose from! If their are guys on these forums that have been in the sound biz with years of experience, listen to what they have to say. Here's what I have learned, Speakers: top of the product line either Hertz or Focal, period. Amp: JL Audio HD or XD series or Alpine PDX-F6. A lot of guys run the Rockford Fosgate too. Good luck, as long as you think it rocks your good!

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
Asking what's the best can really open a can of worms and give you a lot of different options and opinions. I have been through a few, I'm opting for Hawgwired amp and Focal speakers now. Is it the best, I don't know, but IMO it's the best I've had, and sounds good to me. If you can go to a local bike night and listen to a few systems then ask the owner of the bike that sounds the best to you what they have, that would be a good start.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
109 Posts
Best speakers are Hertz, Focal, or JL Audio. Hawg Wired just came out with a 5x7 component that I would look at as well. The materials used on quality speakers these days are very water resistant, there's no need to get a marine speaker, they won't sound good. Best amps for motorcycles are Hawg Wired, all others are car amps put on bikes, they generate too much heat and take too much power.

·
Registered
305 Posts
hawg-wired gets my vote. great sound

·
Shark of the Quarter Apr-Jun13
1,053 Posts
I did the jl c 5 650's and a 250 watt four channel amp. Running hertz in the lids of the saddle bags.. Nice and clean sound.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm running Polks speakers and RF amps. The quality of sound versus price make these great options.

I know that there are better sounding speakers but they will cost much more.

Polk mm651's can be purchased for around $120. I just purchased an RF 300x2 for $131. Add adapters and amplifier kit and for not much more than $300 you will have a good setup.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the PBR 300x2 and have been looking for some Hertz HCX 165 to go with it. Trying to find the best price I can for the Hertz speakers, a local dealer wants 399 for a set and it will include 1 year warranty if I do the install and 2 if they install. Hertz states they will not warranty any speakers if not purchased through one of their retailers!!!! I've had two sets of POLKS ( mm651 and DXI 650 ) both sound good , but the amp seems to burn them out after time. Maybe I've pushed them to hard , so Hertz is gonna get a turn in the bike.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have the PBR 300x2 and have been looking for some Hertz HCX 165 to go with it. Trying to find the best price I can for the Hertz speakers, a local dealer wants 399 for a set and it will include 1 year warranty if I do the install and 2 if they install. Hertz states they will not warranty any speakers if not purchased through one of their retailers!!!! I've had two sets of POLKS ( mm651 and DXI 650 ) both sound good , but the amp seems to burn them out after time. Maybe I've pushed them to hard , so Hertz is gonna get a turn in the bike.

Try Hardride Audio, that's where I got mine also used their adapters....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was looking at Hardride, they have some decent Polk speakers... but the 500w amp is out of stock right now it looks like.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Not one mention of the Polk Audio Speakers? I heard they ranked a close second to the Focals.
I do have Polk Marine 6x9's in my Saddlebag Lids that, Cycle Sounds sells w/there saddlebag lids.