Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kuryakyn's website has been down for like five days now. Does anyone know if they are still in business?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wondering the same thing trying to find a set of their fairing air deflectors (Part# 1244). Seems they are out of stock everywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I've seen posts on FB from them. Maybe they are redesigning the site?

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Oddly enough, its not a secure html site. Try Premium Motorcycle Clothing & Gear For Men and Women | FirstGear-Usa.com | Premium Motorcycle Clothing & Gear For Men and Women | FirstGear-Usa.com (not https)

But that resolves to a First Gear site. Weird.

edit - I'm guessing they have an expired certificate and/or compromised web site.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Consider the site down a favor. Their stuff is garbage. Especially anything chromed....
Respectfully disagree. Been buying there stuff for 17 years and never been disappointed though I must say do not like those fairing wind deflectors

·
Registered
35 Posts
Erilflinn, did you try a set of the deflectors? They seem to get fairly good reviews. The stock deflectors funnel rain right onto my leg. Didn't get any of that with my old sancho wings on my 09

·
Registered
408 Posts
Erilflinn, did you try a set of the deflectors? They seem to get fairly good reviews. The stock deflectors funnel rain right onto my leg. Didn't get any of that with my old sancho wings on my 09
I myself haven’t tried them but a friend of mine has and loves them.

Reactions: Shiny

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm guessing they have an expired certificate and/or compromised web site.

Expired certificate would be a different error, and port 443 (HTTPS/SSL) is completely unresponsive on their network. An active rejection would imply the service was active but aggressively filtered, like if they were under attack ... But this was just a limp protocol timeout, like there's nothing there.

But on a port 80 (HTTP) connection I also got the first gear site.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The site is back up as of noon Eastern time.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,059 Posts
It's been my long term experience that Kuryakyn customer satisfaction has been on a steady decline for a few years now. It appears that the quality of their products has gone downhill, and that their inventory is often inadequate with long "out of stock" periods. The example of the air deflectors above is a good example. Out of stock for at least 2- 3 months - that's just poor management. Now their website is down for at least 5 days - something's terribly wrong there. This place has all the signs of a company who's about to go bust and shut the doors. Not saying that's what is happening, just saying that the signs are very familiar to me as someone who sold auto parts to distributors nationwide for 30+ years. Inventory reductions with lots of "stock outs" and long lead times on products coming back into inventory is the first sign that something major is wrong - usually it's severe financial issues. There's a saying in the industry "they're selling a lot of pegboard" - that means that as you look around the store (retail) or warehouse (wholesale) and you see a lot of empty pegboard hooks (or shelving), it's usually a sign of financial stress within the company. When they can't afford new inventory to replace what they stocked and sold, that's a very bad sign.

I've only purchased 3 cosmetic dress up items from them and all three items were chrome items (2 turned out to be chrome over plastic) and all 3 were taken off the bike and thrown away after about a year as the chrome was flaking off for no reason other than poor craftsmanship/poor QC. That kind of quality will put you out of business sooner or later. I would never buy anything from them again unless it was something I could hold in my hand and look over carefully before purchasing - like maybe at a large bike event where they have a booth.

·
Registered
297 Posts
"I've only purchased 3 cosmetic dress up items from them and all three items were chrome items (2 turned out to be chrome over plastic) and all 3 were taken off the bike and thrown away after about a year as the chrome was flaking off for no reason other than poor craftsmanship/poor QC."

Same here. The chrome pitts and bubbles. I've bought quite a few things from them in my earlier bike years. But burn me with crap, and lose my biz forever. I'm the same way with restaurants and most other things. I'm not knocking anyone who buys their stuff, just trying to give a heads up to someone who is unaware they might get a poor product. I'm loyal until you give me a valid reason to walk away.....

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have a set of their deflectors for the new Rushmore style bikes that I won this year the SWIX and while I like them they do direct the rain onto my legs when it raining. I'm not sure that there is any deflector that won't push some of the rain towards your legs. Other than that I like them.

Reactions: Shiny

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Ive only bought a couple of things from them in the past. Not a fan at all, its all in the dump now. Lot of other companies out there that make top notch stuff. More expensive, but Ill just save a little more instead.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Since this thread has morphed into a referendum on Kuryakyn, I'll chime in. :)

Anything I've bought from them has been fine. I will say that not much from them appeals to me, their stuff always struck me as quite garish. (I'm being charitable here. :) )

I purchased their short antenna, which is really great. Much smaller than the stock whip, and no reduction in radio reception that I can tell.

When I had a 13 FLTRU, I had their Crusher slip-ons, and they were great. No issue with chrome, but I also think they just rebranded a V&H product.

The only other thing I have is Ciro3d (I believe Ciro is a Kury owned company, but I could be wrong) frame mounted highway pegs and they are great. Expensive, but they are really great

edit - apparently much of Ciro leadership and design team comes from Kury, thats why I thought they were related.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
It's been my long term experience that Kuryakyn customer satisfaction has been on a steady decline for a few years now. It appears that the quality of their products has gone downhill, and that their inventory is often inadequate with long "out of stock" periods. The example of the air deflectors above is a good example. Out of stock for at least 2- 3 months - that's just poor management. Now their website is down for at least 5 days - something's terribly wrong there. This place has all the signs of a company who's about to go bust and shut the doors. Not saying that's what is happening, just saying that the signs are very familiar to me as someone who sold auto parts to distributors nationwide for 30+ years. Inventory reductions with lots of "stock outs" and long lead times on products coming back into inventory is the first sign that something major is wrong - usually it's severe financial issues. There's a saying in the industry "they're selling a lot of pegboard" - that means that as you look around the store (retail) or warehouse (wholesale) and you see a lot of empty pegboard hooks (or shelving), it's usually a sign of financial stress within the company. When they can't afford new inventory to replace what they stocked and sold, that's a very bad sign.

I've only purchased 3 cosmetic dress up items from them and all three items were chrome items (2 turned out to be chrome over plastic) and all 3 were taken off the bike and thrown away after about a year as the chrome was flaking off for no reason other than poor craftsmanship/poor QC. That kind of quality will put you out of business sooner or later. I would never buy anything from them again unless it was something I could hold in my hand and look over carefully before purchasing - like maybe at a large bike event where they have a booth.
I have never purchased anything from them, but. Reading your post reminded me of how Boardtracker H-D was before things started coming out about them.

Reactions: geo8866
1 - 20 of 30 Posts