Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a rear wheel that I bought used I'll be installing on my '17RGU this fall. I need to replace the bearings and the sleeve spacer in the process.

I was thinking of buying the Pit Posse VT102 from Amazon, but I thought I'd check with you guys to see if anyone has a wheel bearing puller/installer they'd be willing to loan or rent out. I'd be happy to pay shipping, a deposit, whatever.

Also, how about reccomendations on bearings? It's an ABS bike, of course. Stock HD? An aftermarket source?

Thanks guys. -Jay

·
Registered
653 Posts
I haven't used the exact kit you're talking about but I did go look at it. It looks like a decent kit. I bought a kit from George's Garage for $200 but I use almost every week at work. As far as your bearing question; I would just get the factory ones. Easier to walk in and tell the parts person what you want and if you ever have an issue on the road, the stock bearings are always in stock.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hey all,

I have a rear wheel that I bought used I'll be installing on my '17RGU this fall. I need to replace the bearings and the sleeve spacer in the process.

I was thinking of buying the Pit Posse VT102 from Amazon, but I thought I'd check with you guys to see if anyone has a wheel bearing puller/installer they'd be willing to loan or rent out. I'd be happy to pay shipping, a deposit, whatever.

Also, how about reccomendations on bearings? It's an ABS bike, of course. Stock HD? An aftermarket source?

Thanks guys. -Jay
Don't buy it.... I bought one and tried to use it and it wouldn't pull the bearing. It's hard to describe but the way you have to hold the puller in place you have to use an open end wrench and it wouldn't hold. I sent it back and got one that TripleJ told me about. It's made by MBS manufacturing SKU WBITC-C27.
Harley Davidson Wheel Bearing Installer Puller for Twin Cam Sportster V-Rod

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brewiz. I assume it’ll do 25mm bearings as well? It only mentions 3/4 and 1”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Thanks Brewiz. I assume it’ll do 25mm bearings as well? It only mentions 3/4 and 1”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jay, I would give them a call and see.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I bought this and I was glad I did. Works great

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/989/20342/Tusk-Bearing-Remover

To install, FREEZE bearing overnight, then gently does it with a $5 piece of threaded rod and a selection of big-ass strong flat washers .. place rod through the bearing and through the hub, then tighten the nuts at both ends of the threaded rod, on either side of hub, simultaneously.... easin' and squeezin' that bearing into place.

Or use a plastic/rubber mallet with a socket....gently...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
awesome , fixing to have to do mine , hhhmm the old way may still work ........ heat the hub and tap out with hammer and screwdriver or rod ..
Or if you want to make life easier for the cost of flat rate priority shipping I’ll send you my bearing tools. When you’re done send them back. Probably cost you $5 each way if I take them out of the plastic box.

·
Registered
685 Posts
awesome , fixing to have to do mine , hhhmm the old way may still work ........ heat the hub and tap out with hammer and screwdriver or rod ..
It does. I used it when I did mine a few months back.

The bearings align from one side, so one side seats against the hub, and the other seats against the distance collar. The tricky part is getting the distance collar pushed over to one side so you can get a good whack at the bearing. I had to give it a tap inward from the seats against the collar side to jar them apart enough to get a large alignment punch against the inner race ... then they tapped out just fine (cold).

For assembly I used 2 large washers, 3 nuts, and a 24" piece of 1/2" threaded rod ... So total cost for tooling was about $8.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have the expanding collett type, and the slide hammer type. Both have their drawbacks.
A big punch with a flat end, struck with a ball peen, works every time. Just takes patience, lube and heat.
Once you put force on the internal race, the bearing is ruined. Be aware of that on install.
Ditto re: putting the new bearing in the freezer for a few hours prior to install.

I only use Japanese or American manufactured bearings, never Chinese.

CBR Bearings is a great source.1-800-769-5388

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
When I put bearings in my wheels a couple of months back I used All Balls Bearings. No issues with the bearings but be careful with the tools you use or buy. Also picked up the tool from Amazon as described in the above post and I did have issues installing bearings. Good thing Amazon has killer return policies. I'm on the lookout for an original Harley style with the little ball bearing, never had a problem with that style tool. Also, make sure to install your bearings in the correct order.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When I put bearings in my wheels a couple of months back I used All Balls Bearings. No issues with the bearings but be careful with the tools you use or buy. Also picked up the tool from Amazon as described in the above post and I did have issues installing bearings. Good thing Amazon has killer return policies. I'm on the lookout for an original Harley style with the little ball bearing, never had a problem with that style tool. Also, make sure to install your bearings in the correct order.
All Balls sources some of their bearings from China.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
All Balls sources some of their bearings from China.
I figured that out as I was installing them, but at the end of the day they are fine right now. I did originally buy them as I had heard they were very good quality

·
Registered
685 Posts
When I put bearings in my wheels a couple of months back I used All Balls Bearings.
Me too, as everything I'd been reading said to go with them over the failure prone HD/OEM bearings ... And they were half the price. I got all 6 bearings for around $65.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts