Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to think that the wheel bearings in the new front rim I have aren't fully seated. It started with the wily shiny spacers that cover the rotor mounting hardware. One side sits perfectly flush while the other leaves a small gap. (left side of the wheel has the gap) when I installed the yaxle I noticed the metal sleeve between the bearings was a little off center and had to realign it. (shouldn't move around if bearings are tight right? Once the yaxle was installed (flush mount) left side fits flush, the right has a minor space between the lower fork and the end of the axle. (looks to be the same size as the gap between the spacer and rotor hardware. Now I'm hearing a squeal the last foot or two when I brake coming from the front brakes. I have a feeling this is all connected. Any ideas how I can try to press the left bearing in more? Looks to be about 1/8 out since this is the distance between the spacer and rotor as well as yaxle and fork lower.

·
Registered
593 Posts
3/8 " all thread the length of your axel, 2-3/8 bolts and flat washers a little smaller than the outside dia. of the bearings. Slip thru the hole and tighten. If it doesn't move than maybe you have the wrong size bearings?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Pull the wheel off and use a socket that matches the diameter of the outer race and a hammer to try to push the bearing in farther. You can heat the hub with a torch first to get the bearing to move easier. When the tone changes you have seated the bearing. The spacer between the two bearings will sometimes move around a bit, this is no worry as it just supports the inner races when the front end is together and the axle is torqued...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts