Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on others experience with wheel bearings on this site, I decided to replace them as I was installing a Progressive Monotube assembly. Bike is a 2016 RGU with 18470 miles and no abuse. Over the last 500 miles or so I started picking up a mettalic echoing sound from the front end. Sure enough, the bearing on the right side had gone to crap. Tried several times to post a short video so everyone could hear, but that seems to be beyond me. At any rate, previous info on this site made me aware (good thing!) and it’s stuff like this that really makes me wonder about Harley. I understand about price points and profit, but I will buy more motorcycles and this is the stuff that will move me away from the brand. This site is probably the best thing going for Harley!:laugh:

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Good thing you caught it early. Since HD out sourced the wheel bearings overseas they been having issues.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I've had after market Timken brand wheel bearing last me 22k miles and I've had HD original wheel bearing last me over 90k miles. A wheel bearing is a wear item and sometimes they last a short while and sometimes they seem to never wear out. It's that way with any bearing. Yes some may be better than what HD has made for them but you will hear about an HD bearing failure a lot more because there are tons more of them being used than the aftermarket and whenever something goes wrong 1 time with an HD part the word spreads like wildfire across the internet and creates paranoia. There are a lot of other issues with the brand that could cause me to jump ship but a wheel bearing is not on my list at this point. To each his own and it's real to you when it happens to you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had after market Timken brand wheel bearing last me 22k miles and I've had HD original wheel bearing last me over 90k miles. A wheel bearing is a wear item and sometimes they last a short while and sometimes they seem to never wear out. It's that way with any bearing. Yes some may be better than what HD has made for them but you will hear about an HD bearing failure a lot more because there are tons more of them being used than the aftermarket and whenever something goes wrong 1 time with an HD part the word spreads like wildfire across the internet and creates paranoia. There are a lot of other issues with the brand that could cause me to jump ship but a wheel bearing is not on my list at this point. To each his own and it's real to you when it happens to you.
Thanks for the advice! I agree it’s a simple wear item, but there seem to be several of those! I’m still wondering about buying a bike with a 27K sticker and adding thousands to make it work. I will admit that in part is why I even have motorcycles is to tinker with. I guess it just gets me when I have to tinker with something off of my tinkering list!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just had a similar experiance on my road trip to Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon/Smokey Mountains. Heard a noise coming from the front end that I hadn’t heard before. First thought it was a brake noise and then thought maybe wheel bearings but with just over 19k on my ‘16 Glide thought nah can’t be wheel bearings. Rode to Pigeon Forge next day had the dealership check it out and sure enough it was front wheel bearings. Glad I caught it early enough as one bearing was just starting to go bad. From now on I will have bearings replaced with tire changes.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I agree it’s a simple wear item, but there seem to be several of those! I’m still wondering about buying a bike with a 27K sticker and adding thousands to make it work. I will admit that in part is why I even have motorcycles is to tinker with. I guess it just gets me when I have to tinker with something off of my tinkering list!
Don't take this as a slam on you but rather a beef with the internet...

Try doing more riding and less time reading on the internet. It is a double edge sword. You can get some great information and you be led to believe that you have a major issue when that is not the case. Whenever there is 1 issue with our beloved Harley it will grow numerous legs on the internet and become a major issue that you would think the MoCo should release a recall for. Plus aftermarket companies love to try and find things to create paranoia in order to sell their product to make them money. Now don't get me wrong, some of the aftermarket stuff is an improved version and warranted but not always is this the case. Just ride your bike and enjoy it. If it develops issues then deal with it appropriately and move on. If the issue pile up to the extent that riding the bike is no longer fun then sell it and go with something else. There are tons of Harley's on the road with a lot of miles on the and with very little issues. Hopefully you have one that you can rack up the miles and smile the whole time wile doing it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't take this as a slam on you but rather a beef with the internet...

Try doing more riding and less time reading on the internet. It is a double edge sword. You can get some great information and you be led to believe that you have a major issue when that is not the case. Whenever there is 1 issue with our beloved Harley it will grow numerous legs on the internet and become a major issue that you would think the MoCo should release a recall for. Plus aftermarket companies love to try and find things to create paranoia in order to sell their product to make them money. Now don't get me wrong, some of the aftermarket stuff is an improved version and warranted but not always is this the case. Just ride your bike and enjoy it. If it develops issues then deal with it appropriately and move on. If the issue pile up to the extent that riding the bike is no longer fun then sell it and go with something else. There are tons of Harley's on the road with a lot of miles on the and with very little issues. Hopefully you have one that you can rack up the miles and smile the whole time wile doing it.
In his case the reading helped me sort it out fast! Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
When were the last tires put on these rides, the Dealer I have replace my tires when time is RELIGIOUS about bearing inspection and any slight discrepancy is on the phone. Had one bad on my 2003 RK they found, was just getting a spot of roughness in it. Not had to replace the front on my 2012 as yet.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When were the last tires put on these rides, the Dealer I have replace my tires when time is RELIGIOUS about bearing inspection and any slight discrepancy is on the phone. Had one bad on my 2003 RK they found, was just getting a spot of roughness in it. Not had to replace the front on my 2012 as yet.
Bearings were fine at a little over 12k when the tires were last changed. Fine by inspection and feel. I did notice grease stains from the bad one the other day when I changed them. Could be the ultimate problem was a poor seal, grease comes out, bearing gets hot, end of story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts