Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lot's of used wheels on the market and on a tight budget (retired). So is there a list or forum where one can get enough info to swap some wheels from newer models to an 07 RG, kinda interested in going 19" front and 18" rear and having them powder coated. Info needed would be like brake rotor relocation, wheel bearings, axles, spacers etc., etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Lot's of used wheels on the market and on a tight budget (retired). So is there a list or forum where one can get enough info to swap some wheels from newer models to an 07 RG, kinda interested in going 19" front and 18" rear and having them powder coated. Info needed would be like brake rotor relocation, wheel bearings, axles, spacers etc., etc.

Thanks
Any front should be fine, I am pretty sure 07 had the 1" front wheel bearings. 08 and up will have 25mm bearing, so you would need to swap them for the 1". All spacers should work the same. The rear is tough one with factory skinny back wheel. 09 and up wont fit without the spacers, pully, belt and potentially reworking the swing arm a bit. I don't know if that cost justifies over buying a new skinny back wheel unless you are after the wider wheel/tire.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any front should be fine, I am pretty sure 07 had the 1" front wheel bearings. 08 and up will have 25mm bearing, so you would need to swap them for the 1". All spacers should work the same. The rear is tough one with factory skinny back wheel. 09 and up wont fit without the spacers, pully, belt and potentially reworking the swing arm a bit. I don't know if that cost justifies over buying a new skinny back wheel unless you are after the wider wheel/tire.
Actual reason for my asking is....."I HATE THESE WAGON WHEELS" that came stock in 07. I thought I had read somewhere that there was a brake rotor diameter increase starting in 08 on the newer models from 11.5 to 11.8 ?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Actual reason for my asking is....."I HATE THESE WAGON WHEELS" that came stock in 07. I thought I had read somewhere that there was a brake rotor diameter increase starting in 08 on the newer models from 11.5 to 11.8 ?

Yes, but the fork leg is the same PN from 2000-2013 so you're fine using your old rotors and calipers on the new wheel. Only thing that changed (with the 08 increase from .5 to .8) was the caliper. I'm running a 2009 front end and breaks on my 1981 Shovel with the original 81 front wheel (just had to shim the axle a bit)...so it's definitely do-able.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, but the fork leg is the same PN from 2000-2013 so you're fine using your old rotors and calipers on the new wheel. Only thing that changed (with the 08 increase from .5 to .8) was the caliper. I'm running a 2009 front end and breaks on my 1981 Shovel with the original 81 front wheel (just had to shim the axle a bit)...so it's definitely do-able.
As an example here's a 19" Enforcer I like but the rotor bolt pattern is not going to mate up with an 07 rotor and the OEM rotor dia. is 11.8" for the Enforcer Wheel. So I'd have to assume the caliper needs an adapter to move it outward correct ?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zQkojur9FKx945xNA

·
Registered
684 Posts
As an example here's a 19" Enforcer I like but the rotor bolt pattern is not going to mate up with an 07 rotor and the OEM rotor dia. is 11.8" for the Enforcer Wheel. So I'd have to assume the caliper needs an adapter to move it outward correct ?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zQkojur9FKx945xNA

If they make an adapter for that, I don't know...I'm not a huge fan of adapters in that application. But you can just grab a pair of the 08 up calipers that are direct bolt on to your existing fork legs that will then match the newer 11.8 rotors.

The calipers are still current, and somebody always wants chrome, so the factory black takeoffs are super easy to find at swap meets or eBay.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they make an adapter for that, I don't know...I'm not a huge fan of adapters in that application. But you can just grab a pair of the 08 up calipers that are direct bolt on to your existing fork legs that will then match the newer 11.8 rotors.

The calipers are still current, and somebody always wants chrome, so the factory black takeoffs are super easy to find at swap meets or eBay.

Thank you, I'll see what's out there.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Good call, I forgot about the rotor size.

Sort of theorizing here, but I bet the rotor bolt pattern is the same and you could use some better looking aftermarket rotors in 11.5 size. I think you are out of luck with the enforcer style though without changing calipers. They are certainly one of the better looking stock wheels.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well........ after kicking my wheel/tire options around, I've made my mind up to just purchase brand new billet wheels, matching rotors and new rubber as well. Now I don't have to concern myself with mismatched parts and fitment issues. I'm no fan of polished billet wheels by any stretch, but the plan is to have them powder coated "with chrome powder" and top powder coat with clear, should make for an easy to maintain wheel by washing and not polishing. I realize the the chrome powder coating is off from the appearance of real chrome, but that's cool with me just for the sake of not having to polish them. Thanks all for the advise and info shared. With my 07 R/G, I hope going to a 150 rear tire doesn't bite me in the azz........oh well, I'll adapt.........

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wheels arrived yesterday as did the polished rotors. I'm very impressed with both. Tires are due for delivery Friday as are the new brake pads. Change in plans for the powder coating, going to use a product called "PROTECTACLEAR" from EVERBRITE. It's a clear coat for raw metal and has great reviews and customer service for questions that needed to be ask and answered. The plan is to mount the tires but not inflated or balance yet. Mask the tires, prep/clean wipe the wheels and spray them with the clear coat. Once coating is cured, inflate tires and balance and mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Wheels arrived yesterday as did the polished rotors. I'm very impressed with both. Tires are due for delivery Friday as are the new brake pads. Change in plans for the powder coating, going to use a product called "PROTECTACLEAR" from EVERBRITE. It's a clear coat for raw metal and has great reviews and customer service for questions that needed to be ask and answered. The plan is to mount the tires but not inflated or balance yet. Mask the tires, prep/clean wipe the wheels and spray them with the clear coat. Once coating is cured, inflate tires and balance and mount.
I think you made the right choice, those wheels look great!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just thought would chime in. I used to have a 2003 Ultra classic that I put some factory wheels off of some newer models on. I used a 2007 Street glide rear wheel for the back. The front I used a 2017 Road Glide wheel, with the matching rotors,brembo brake calipers and bought a flush front axle to work with it. This was the end result.
[/url]via Imgflip Meme Generator[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Just thought would chime in. I used to have a 2003 Ultra classic that I put some factory wheels off of some newer models on. I used a 2007 Street glide rear wheel for the back. The front I used a 2017 Road Glide wheel, with the matching rotors,brembo brake calipers and bought a flush front axle to work with it. This was the end result.
[/url]via Imgflip Meme Generator[/IMG]
That really made a huge difference! Good job!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts