Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..I am heading to Maggie Valley next weekend to go to the Wheels thru Time museum. I am trying to plan my days and don't know how long to plan for the museum. Is it an all day, 4 hours, less than that?
I don't really know much about old bikes so I probably won't look at stuff as long as someone who does.
Those of you who have been, what do you think?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
406 Posts
I wasn't much into old bikes either,but once inside and the hospitality of the crew and their knowledge turned a walk thru into about a 2 hour visit. Lots of time Dale will start a bike to prove every bike in the museum will run.He also does a daily burnout thru the museum on one of his bikes, it has a been a couple years since my visit I assume he still does.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
was there in June of this yr makes my 4th or 5th trip to the museum,first 2 times was when he was still in Illinios,Dale and his son are very passionate about what they do,when we were there in June they started about ten of the bikes for us,even if you dont know much about old bikes it is very worthwhile making the trip,they are friendly and willing to take time to talk to you

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Was there for my first time last July, I really enjoy that kind of stuff, 2 hours or so was plenty for me.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Two hours is plenty of time to casually walk through and see what you need to see. It is great to see some of the old bikes start, but i am not one to study the old stuff. It is great to see how things have progressed over time and two hours should be plenty of time. There is a lot of great riding in the area so use the extra two hours to enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, that helps. We are also going to try the Rattler, Hellbenders 28 and plan to rent KLR's one day and go off the road. In years past we rode Dragon, the skyway and Blue Ridge Parkway. This will also be my first big trip on the Shark. Used to ride Dynas. Really looking forward to next Saturday. Better get to washing the bike!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just there over Labor day week. Not one to normally dally too long on most things, but found myself there for nearly 4 hrs. Would say at least 2-4 hrs.especially if you can catch them starting some of the bikes. Maggie Valley is a nice place to stay and use as a staging area for the surrounding area.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was there last thursday. Dale Walksler, the owner, was there. He and his son were talking to everyone and started up a bunch of the old bikes. It's facinating to here those old bikes run. Dale is a super nice guy and has an incredible collection. Everything from fully restored to what some would consider junk. I don't remember how long I was in there, but when I came out my friends were sitting outside waiting for me. It's a great ride just getting there.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have stayed at A HOLIDAY HOTEL its a about a block and a half from the museum,its biker owned and they are super cool folks,plus they have a diner there so you can walk to breakfast if you want also try out the Salty Dog Cafe

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have reservations there as well. Bike is shined up and ready to go. The only thing left to get done is two days of work.?

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I was there last thursday. Dale Walksler, the owner, was there. He and his son were talking to everyone and started up a bunch of the old bikes. It's facinating to here those old bikes run. Dale is a super nice guy and has an incredible collection. Everything from fully restored to what some would consider junk. I don't remember how long I was in there, but when I came out my friends were sitting outside waiting for me. It's a great ride just getting there.
We were there last week also with the CVO crowd.

I have stayed at A HOLIDAY HOTEL its a about a block and a half from the museum,its biker owned and they are super cool folks,plus they have a diner there so you can walk to breakfast if you want also try out the Salty Dog Cafe
Stay out of the Salty Dogs unless you like rubber seafood. Had the shrimp and scallops and thought I was chewing on rubber grommets. Legends sports bar and grill has pretty decent burgers and wings.

Plan on at least one day of rain in Soggy Valley. Would be a good day to walk over and wonder around the museum. Watch the Rattler, There's a few driveways that bleed a little gravel on the road. Other than that, it's a great ride.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
We were there last week also with the CVO crowd.

Stay out of the Salty Dogs unless you like rubber seafood. Had the shrimp and scallops and thought I was chewing on rubber grommets. Legends sports bar and grill has pretty decent burgers and wings.

Plan on at least one day of rain in Soggy Valley. Would be a good day to walk over and wonder around the museum. Watch the Rattler, There's a few driveways that bleed a little gravel on the road. Other than that, it's a great ride.
You must have been there on a off day our food was great

·
Registered
816 Posts
Flipping around the dish one night, found some show called "Whats in the Barn" and it was Wheels thru Time. They started 120 antique motorcycles in 12 hours on his birthday.

Until I get down there to ride, it'll have to do.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,692 Posts
I agree that 2-3 hours is the right amount of time unless you're an old bike history buff and then you'd want considerably more. Dale is a terrific guy who always goes out of his way to make sure people have a good time there. He has some VERY expensive one-off old Harley racing bikes and motors along with everything else. Don't forget to buy tickets for his yearly raffle bike, the proceeds are what help him keep the doors open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maggie Valley and biker friendly Best Western has always our base when visiting the Smokeys...Wheels through time is a must see especially if you havent been there before. Great rides through the Tail, Foothills Pkwy, Cherohola, Robbinsville, Smokey Mt HD in Maryville, Gaitlinburg etc. Never been this late in the season but must be beautiful...Have Fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts