Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should you go with a stronger clutch setup than stock? My 09 103 has Wood 222 Cams, Fuel Moto 2-1-2 exhaust and Power Vision using maps designed by Jamie at Fuel Moto. Going by FMs dyno's with same setup I should be getting about 95 hp and 112 torque.

·
Administrator
10,507 Posts
the stock setup should be good up to around 100 HP maybe a tad more

course depends on you as well

JtB

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
I have the same setup as you and the clutch started slipping as soon soon as I installed the 222 cams.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
If your clutch isn't slipping I wouldn't bother with it. Your next step would probably be a VPC addition to your stock setup if you are experiencing any slipping or the SE spring.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
The stock clutch plates works just fine for your bike.
A stronger clutch spring is what you would need.
I use the HD SE clutch spring in my clutch with no problems, if your bike doesn't already have it you should put one in.
The SE Clutch spring doesn't cost much and it is a easy DIY.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I blew through my stock clutch with headwork and mild cams. Even the Screaming Eagle spring wouldn't fully hold. Bike dynoed at 101hp/118tq. Bought a Bandit Sportsman and I now have no issues. I've been able to set it up with a lighter pull than stock and it holds solid.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Stock with the AIM VPC lasted for a couple years but this summer it started to go, so i put a Energy 1 in. Wouldnt worry about changing till its a problem.

·
Registered
528 Posts
When should you go with a stronger clutch setup than stock? My 09 103 has Wood 222 Cams, Fuel Moto 2-1-2 exhaust and Power Vision using maps designed by Jamie at Fuel Moto. Going by FMs dyno's with same setup I should be getting about 95 hp and 112 torque.
Dropping off my bike tomorrow (Monday) for the 107 kit at FM. Will see what they recommend in regards to clutch. You wouldn't happen to be dropping yours off on Monday also?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chivo- Thanks for checking with them! No, I put all their stuff on myself and love it! When I win the big lottery I will be coming for a big motor build tho!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Recommendation per FM is AIM Variable pressure clutch. That is with 107 and level b heads.

·
Registered
700 Posts
My '12 stock clutch was slipping after adding just a 2-into-1 D&D Fatcat and S&S stealth breather. Upgraded to the SE clutch to fix it, which would've been fine for the 555 cams I'd planned but traded her for a new '15 RGS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did a aim lock up plate and se spring last night. Works good but you cant pull the clutch in over 4500 rpm. Not liking that

·
Banned
94 Posts
if looking to up grade your clutch,go with a BANDIT sportsman,nothing better

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
As you can see, there are a number of recommendations here, all good, because they have been tried and tested.

Here is another, for your consideration.

First, a bit of background. 2009 RG, been bored out to a 103, with Woods TW7H Cams and lifters, cast flat top 10.5:1 pistons. A bit more HP than stock (sorry no dyno numbers).

I did not really notice any slippage until the tour to SW III thru the mountains of Colorado/Utah. That was after about 30,000 miles were on the build. Then, when trying to accelerate going uphill (and up... up... up...) I noticed quite a bit of slippage.

My solution, which I arrived at as you will, by research, was this.

Barnett Kevlar Extra Plate Clutch
SE Clutch Spring

That is not a difficult install, I did mine. A service manual helped, as did the online research.

The Kevlar Clutch has an extra steel plate in it so it adds more surface area to the clutch. The Kevlar disks just seem to work better than standard ones, although they are a bit grabby when cold. The SE Spring puts more pressure on it.

Before I put this in, back on level ground, the slippage that began in Colorado was evident in higher gears. I could make it slip at will. After the install, I get no slippage, even when I purposely try to make it slip.

The SE Spring is probably the cheapest fix. It only seems to be harder to grab (at the lever) than normal in stop and go traffic, where I do begin to feel it after a while. Otherwise, not a problem.

Like I said, lots of good info here. Plenty of options, and lots of folks willing to help out.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you're not beating on it, the SE Spring should do just fine.

Just ask Jamie what he recommends...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts