Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought my 4th Harley. So, I know all about the synthetic.
My question is: do I switch at the 1000 mile service or fill with Dino and wait to switch to synthetic until 2500??? This is a tricky question that may only be understood by a few... So please only answer if you have knowledge on the subject.

I am thinking of staying with Dino through the 1000 mile allowing full break in, seating, etc... Then switch to a synthetic (other than Harley brand) at 2500 miles.

I hate the synthetic drip and want to allow full seating before switching and then try to find a dense enough synthetic to prevent or minimize the drip I always seemed to get from Harley synthetic.

So, any advice on what milage you feel is a decent break in time to switch.... and what synthetic you respect.

Hell, I might even consider staying with Dino on this bike!!! Give me your opinion on that too.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I switched to Redline after the 1000 mile. I especially like their trans fluid, it really coats everything. I'm not sold on engine oil in the trans and primary.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can go to sin at any time the SE have from factory. Personaly I think 20/50 is too thin for xmsn so I like redline or something like. As for primary environment is not as harsh so dino is fine but that is my .03

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Valvoline 20W50 motorcycle oil

I like Valvoline 20W50 motorcycle oil. My wrench advised against syn hand he is top builder in this area.

My buddy has 133k on his harley using Valvoline without going into engine and he along with his wrench recommnded it.

I like it. always looks clear and clean. good pressure.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Go to it any time. This is what I run

Mobil 1 V-Twin : Motor
Formula + : Primary
Mobil 1 75/140 syn. in the tranny

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I talked to my HD Tech buddy & was told to run HD dino until 5k & then go with my pick of Redline for engine & primary. I had changed to Redline shock Proof in tranny at the 1K svc. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I just switched from HD Screaming Eagle syn to Amsoil for the crankcase. I buy my oil from Iron Pony (just down the street) and they jacked up the price on a gallon of the HD oil so it was a whole $1.00 cheaper for the Amsoil. Thought I'd give it a shot. I used to run a Jeep, and ran synthetics in all the oils. Ran the crap out of it on BIG ROCKS, and never had any oil based issues. I still have the HD synthetic in the primary and Valvoline SynPower 90w-140 in the gears (jeep leftovers, probably run this until I run out, then we'll see). 25000 service is coming up and I'll probably stick with the Amsoil for the Crankcase and Primary. Several of my former Jeeper buddies swear by Amsoil.

·
Administrator
10,509 Posts
If ya change the oil like yer sposed to , think it's a toss between syn and dino ..

But with the extra heat the TC puts out , I'm using syn all around ..

EVO's run much cooler , so the syn or dino isnt much of an issue

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Synthetic at the first oil change and no problems yet, not burning oil and no leaks, 45K on the bike now. HD SE bikes come with synthetic from the factory & there are many car manufactures that put synthetic oil in their vehicles from day one. The old myth that you should not change to synthetic until the engine breaks in is a MYTH. Go to synthetic as soon as possible because it will handle the heat produced by the TC engines.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Been running HD Syn 3 from the get go. No issues at all. Pushing almost 50K miles on the bike now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll be switching to Amsoil at the 5k mark. Just want to make sure everything is seated real well. In the trans I'll run Amsoil 75-140 sever gear and the 20-50 Amsoil in the crankcase and primary. I ran this in my Evo , never had a leak ,it ran cooler and when I sold it there were over 100k miles on it. I've done alot of reading on this matter and what I've gathered is Amsoil, Redline or Mobil 1 are pretty much the three best.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I use Amsoil in all three. It's rated and not a problem in the tranny. As Ironmark said, and I agree, don't need to worry about seating etc. With today's machining tolerances I just don't think "break in" is a big issue.

There are many who think you should run it like you stole it from day one. Realizing that's hard to do for us old farts but, I believe that's the right way to do it nowadays.

85,000 on my '01 FLTRSEI2. No evidence whatsoever of any problems. 12,500 in the first year of my '11 FLTRUSE. Too early to tell I guess but I'll run Amsoil as long as I own it.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I used HD conventional for the first 3K then changed to HD SN3 and now on to Moble 1 true MC syn oil . I allways added Lucas oil stablelizer on every oil change. I use Redline shock Proof in the tranny.

I use the Moble 1 Syn 2050 on both my Twinn cams and use Conventional 2050 oil in the shovel due to spot marking. (Harleys don't leak oil , they mark their spot ! ) No leaks at all on the twinn cams.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I switch mine to SNY at 400 miles when I do the first change.
I just drop all three swap it to the sny I chose and ride. From then on I do it at 5K engine 10K primary and 20K transmission till I trade it.
Never had any issues with this plan

·
Registered
893 Posts
I switch to syn at the first oil change and stay with it. Syn handles the heat better - dino can usually withstand the heat just past 3000 miles before it begins to break down on the molecular level. I didn't know the SE's had syn from the factory but what does that tell you? Porshe, BMW, Caddy put syn in from the factory - handles the heat, better flow when cold etc... Syn is used in jet engines because of it's capability to handle the heat, consistent flow over wide temperature range too. Turbines don't put the same pressure on oil as recip engines but the heat is "just a bit warmer" than our engines will ever see. For my money, syn its the way to go as soon as possible.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I ran dino oil until my first oil change at 1000 miles then switched to Syn3 and have had no issues of any kind. I have been told, after the fact, that you should wait until after 3,000 miles before switching so that the rings will seat properly. Synthetic is supposed to be "slicker" than dino but I am not sure how true that is. If I had known that before I would have waited but, then again, several high performance cars come from the factory with Mobile 1 synthetic in the pan.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've always used synthetic as soon as I can without any problems in either HD motors or custom builds.

I'm using Amsoil 20/50 in all 3 now.

Stephen

1 - 20 of 31 Posts