Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installing 10" monkey bars using stock cables. I think im ready to tackle this but still a little confused on the shimming of the brake lever? Can someone clarify? Thanks

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
U dont have to do anything you will be good, I would recommend that you either change the TBW to the screaming eagle or extend the wires a little. You can do it with out it but it is a pain :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you remove your brake controls off the handlebar you have to shim your brake lever. Just put a small piece of cardboard on the left side where the handle comes out of the housing. Jam it between the end of the lever and the housing. You can search these forums to find out what happens if you don't. The manual actually warns you to do this for proper break actions after your done.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If you are taking the switch housings off stick a piece of cardboard in between the lever and the housing or the switch will break when you take off the housing. Pull on the brake lever and stick the cardboard in the space it creates.

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
huh i never did that, didnt have a issue guess i got lucky :)
I've done 20+ set of bar swaps and never done it either.......as long as your careful with the R&R your fine :thumbup:

But people to break them :rolleyes: regularly

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
483 Posts
for myself to be on the safe side any time I am messing with the front brake side I shim the lever , cheap and easy insurance against an unneeded expense and repair.

Eagle

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Shimming just helps from breaking the brake switch nub off when re installing. Its not necessary if you know what your doing and are careful when putting it back together.

Just squeeze your brake lever in and shove a piece of cardboard in the gap to hold the handle in before removing any screws. Remove cardboard when its all back together.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
U dont have to do anything you will be good, I would recommend that you either change the TBW to the screaming eagle or extend the wires a little. You can do it with out it but it is a pain :)

Thanks for the tips.
You say extend the tbw is that to get the green connector out of the bars? what is the screaming eagle?

·
Registered
690 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts