Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Further proof that when it's your turn to leave this earth, it's your turn. Some would call it fate. Check this out. No. Carolina Harley rider on I-95 in Florida gets hit by lightning right square on top of his helmet. Check out the pics. Unfortunately for him and his family, he was dead at the scene from either the lightning strike or the resulting crash after the lightning hit. Very, very unusual but it does happen. RIP fellow rider.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/06/10/motorcyclist-was-struck-by-lightning-while-riding-i-only-his-helmet-survived/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.534349902e72

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Wow what are the odds
A lot higher than you would think. Lightning is no joke. My Brother in Law was killed when he and my sister got hit while on a walk in a park.

If they guy had been a local he would have known to get off the road, seek shelter, and wait 15 minutes for the sun to come back out.

So, had he sought shelter it might not have been his time. More like tempted fate.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Wow, I would not have guessed that would ever happen!

Damn Straight... And I've been in Florida since 1967. That was a slow moving all day storm, that had (comparably speaking) very little lightning. I've had to go around and through stuff like that on many occasions in the past because the weather here in FL is freaky as hell.

There isn't always a good place to stop - like rolling through the forest - so sometimes you just gotta go with moving target and hope it works out. I've had lightning hit a tree as I went past it...and that shit will seriously make your ass pucker hard enough to make it cramp for a week.

I feel bad for the guy and his family. But having been 'there', I'm not about to fault him for his actions ... The odds just stacked up on him in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
When the Grim Reaper comes a knocking.

·
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In news articles related to this incident, they report that an average of 20 people get killed by lightning in the US each year, most while standing or walking. Since 2006 there have been 12 motorcyclists killed by lightning, but the key here is that half of those were not on their bikes at the time of the strike. They were standing near their bikes while waiting for the storm to pass. So on average, 1 rider is killed by lightning while riding about every 2 years in the U.S. So relax, you've got a better chance of winning most lotteries than you do getting killed by lightning while riding.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've only been in Florida for four years but my parents moved here from NJ in the 80's. Echo the mentioning of freaky and unpredictable weather patterns. Damn!

Rest in peace, brother! I keep thinking about how the family begins to reconcile how their lives have changed...

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
So, had he sought shelter it might not have been his time. More like tempted fate.
Kind of s shitty thing to post man.....dude died after all - We don't know what he was going to or running from and certainly hind sight is always 20/20 - What if he was rushing to see the birth of his child? What if his ailing, elderly parent had taken a fall? Easy to make these comments from your keyboard but we have no idea what his mindset was........c'mon man, you're better than that amigo

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Kind of s shitty thing to post man.....dude died after all - We don't know what he was going to or running from and certainly hind sight is always 20/20 - What if he was rushing to see the birth of his child? What if his ailing, elderly parent had taken a fall? Easy to make these comments from your keyboard but we have no idea what his mindset was........c'mon man, you're better than that amigo
Sorry if you see it that way. There is no 20/20 hindsight involved. There are warnings and education to the public to take these storms seriously. People choose to ignore those warnings. Living in Florida we all knew the dangers of the routine afternoon thunderstorms. We also knew they would be over quickly so it is pretty stupid to continue outdoor activities when they are occurring.

We would be out in the ocean on the Hobie Cat and would hit the nearest shore and take shelter in a hotel until it passed. Then we would launch again and continue sailing. We never tried to outrace a storm back to the trailer.

Same on the bikes. If I got off work on time I could get home and get the bike covered before the storm came through. Otherwise, I worked an extra hour before leaving.

This was long before internet and instant weather tracking. Today, no-one has an excuse of I didn't know the storm was coming. :grin:

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Today, no-one has an excuse of I didn't know the storm was coming. :grin:
Okay, but again, IMHO, shitty thing to say as we have no idea why he was on the road and the factors (if any) involved - Pointing this out after is like when someone comes up to us (as riders) and says "Motorcycles are dangerous, I know a guy and he got hit riding and died"..........okay but you have no idea why i ride - Maybe I can't afford a car? Maybe I have no where to park a car? Etc Etc - Put yourself in the shoes of his family, if you were them and read your post, would you feel comfortable?

Not trying to be a dick or start an argument here.....just bothers me when people speak out after a death and place blame where it may not belong.....too much we don't know amigo

·
Registered
702 Posts
In news articles related to this incident, they report that an average of 20 people get killed by lightning in the US each year, most while standing or walking. Since 2006 there have been 12 motorcyclists killed by lightning, but the key here is that half of those were not on their bikes at the time of the strike. They were standing near their bikes while waiting for the storm to pass. So on average, 1 rider is killed by lightning while riding about every 2 years in the U.S. So relax, you've got a better chance of winning most lotteries than you do getting killed by lightning while riding.

I had a funny feeling about that bit, but hadn't had time to research it.

Thanks for the time save - I can go back to work now... :grin:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Further proof that when it's your turn to leave this earth, it's your turn. Some would call it fate. Check this out. No. Carolina Harley rider on I-95 in Florida gets hit by lightning right square on top of his helmet. Check out the pics. Unfortunately for him and his family, he was dead at the scene from either the lightning strike or the resulting crash after the lightning hit. Very, very unusual but it does happen. RIP fellow rider.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/06/10/motorcyclist-was-struck-by-lightning-while-riding-i-only-his-helmet-survived/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.534349902e72
i won't pay the washington post to be able to read an article, post free articles on here please.

·
Registered
711 Posts
" If I got off work on time I could get home and get the bike covered before the storm came through. Otherwise, I worked an extra hour before leaving. "

you must have loved your job. i would never 'work and extra hour' most people don't have the choice to work an hour of overtime at will and expect to get paid for it. every job i've ever had was either salaried or had to have approval before working o.t.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
" If I got off work on time I could get home and get the bike covered before the storm came through. Otherwise, I worked an extra hour before leaving. "

you must have loved your job. i would never 'work and extra hour' most people don't have the choice to work an hour of overtime at will and expect to get paid for it. every job i've ever had was either salaried or had to have approval before working o.t.

When I didn't like my job, I found another one. I have always worked jobs with discretionary overtime. You can't see 10 feet in front of you in a thunderstorm in Florida. Only crazies would drive, never mind ride in those afternoon storms. I even had my bike blown over once while waiting out a storm. Fortunately, where I worked let me park under a covering that protected the bike from the wind.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Okay, but again, IMHO, shitty thing to say as we have no idea why he was on the road and the factors (if any) involved - Pointing this out after is like when someone comes up to us (as riders) and says "Motorcycles are dangerous, I know a guy and he got hit riding and died"..........okay but you have no idea why i ride - Maybe I can't afford a car? Maybe I have no where to park a car? Etc Etc - Put yourself in the shoes of his family, if you were them and read your post, would you feel comfortable?

Not trying to be a dick or start an argument here.....just bothers me when people speak out after a death and place blame where it may not belong.....too much we don't know amigo
This is the 4th forum I have been on that is discussing this. Too many people act amazed that this happened. I lost my Brother in Law and almost my Sister when they were struck. Lighting is no joke and not something that just randomly happens. It needs to be taken seriously. If what I am writing is shitty, so be it. When people brush it off as fate or his time or whatever which is what people say when they hear about a freak accident I understand. This was not a freak accident. Every weather person will tell you to take these storms seriously and don't be in them. This guy took his chances and he lost. Just like I take my chances when riding, but I also try to mitigate as much risk as I can while still being able to enjoy this sport.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wow! Tragedy for sure. Ride in peace brother of the wind. Ride in peace.

A few years ago a man and wife that were members of the club I used to ride with were sitting on their trike waiting out a storm. He got got struck by lightening and passed away. She survived.
It all changes in an instant.

·
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
i won't pay the washington post to be able to read an article, post free articles on here please.
Sorry, I had no idea. I had originally read about it on Fox but they're coverage was about 2 sentences at the time, so I did a quick google search and wasn't really paying attention to where the article had originated.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts