Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
San Diego Harley is now recommending that, for all touring bikes, that the Fork Oil be changed with the 10,000 mile service. The cost, including changing the Fork Oil is listed at $640.00. Is the just out and out greed? If you may know at what interval the Fork Oil for a 2013 Road Glide should be changed, please advise.

·
Administrator
10,995 Posts
'11 recommended interval is 50,000 miles , no reason yours should be any less .. I've gone over 100k and never given it a second thought

JtB

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Yep, I'm at 35k and haven't changed mine yet. Feels the same. I'll change mine out when I powdercoat my lowers.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
my dealer Changed mine out at 20,000 on their recommendation, but since I bought the prepaid maintenance plan from them, it was covered in the service. went with the SE Hi Performance Mixture. Cost to me zero dineros. BTW I bought the bike in Aug 2013 and purchased a 3 year maintenance package for 1500.00. Usually average 20k per year. So at 225.00 per service x 4 per year x 3 years I figured I'm 1200 ahead on this deal. After is over I'll be doing my own services, so IMHO the service plan is a great deal if you ride a lot. Also, all fluids are except the forks are synthetic at no extra charge.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
'11 recommended interval is 50,000 miles , no reason yours should be any less .. I've gone over 100k and never given it a second thought

JtB
Back in the day fork oil was like brake fluid, never changed it unless you were into it. I or anybody I know had problems.

·
Registered
654 Posts
What indicators are there that it should be changed?

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
I'm gonna disagree with everyone :p

Your suspension moves and cycles just like any other sealed and lubricated part on your bike......technically you wouldn't "have to" change your motor oil, but you do because it becomes full of contaminates, breaks down and losses viscosity, no different than your fork fluid

Fork fluid not only dampens but also lubricates, every time your suspension moves......

10K is early, but I would start to think about replacing the fluid and inspecting the bushing about the 20K mile mark

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
That is true, but fork oil is not subjected to the heat, pressure and gas as motor oil is, it does break down but no where near what motor oil is subjected to. changing the oil at 35k instead of 50k I guess is okay, remember dealers are a biz they are they to make money, some guys change there plugs every year with less than 5k on them ,another waste of money, but if you go it like that go ahead.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had mine changed out at about 5000 miles. To me, the front end felt too soft and nose dived more than I cared for. I talked to one of the techs at the dealership to see if they kept a supply the monoshocks in stock or if I needed to order them. They told me they had never ordered, sold or installed a set and recommended the SE fork oil. I was planning on changing out the handlebars so I had them do both on the same trip. The SE worked well for me.

·
Administrator
10,995 Posts
yeah the SE oil is the trick for nose diving , it is heavier than what ever they put in at the MoCo

JtB

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe the standard from the factory is 10w and the SE is 15w. I was glad it did the trick, a lot less moolah than the monoshock conversion.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think the heavier oil will not only slow down compression, but rebound also.
It helps, but is not a complete fix.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Im gonna give that a shot first, no budget for montubes this year and I will take it from there, its not that bad but a little slower would make an improvement IMO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
After 50,000 one side of my smelled like pure shit. It was rotten. I agree 35,000 would probably be good. Not that hard of a job.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts