Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 09 has about 20,200 miles on it. My manual says to change fork oil at 50,000 miles. I've heard in the past that the fork oil interval was 20,000 miles. So, when do you guys change your fork oil? Are you still using the 20k figure or 50K or something in between. I'm gonna upgrade to the SE heavy oil which I heard helps prevent excessive front end brake dive. I'm not experiencing any problems right now so I'm thinking about leaving it alone for now.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would also recomend staying with HDs 50000 mile interval. EXCEPT I just changed out my front forks for some black ones. With 7500 miles on my bike I could not belive how BLACK my oil was! Really makes me wonder if it got filled with used 20/50 from the factory?:eek:

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
New bikes 50k Do seal bushing oil for get it for another 50K.
Heres what bushing and seals look like at 50K.
color of the oil is meaning less the bushing wear to prtevent damage to tubes that is how it works.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I would also recomend staying with HDs 50000 mile interval. EXCEPT I just changed out my front forks for some black ones. With 7500 miles on my bike I could not belive how BLACK my oil was! Really makes me wonder if it got filled with used 20/50 from the factory?:eek:

After 1000 miles diesel engine oil looks very black. Doesn't mean its time to change it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
After 1000 miles diesel engine oil looks very black. Doesn't mean its time to change it.
Ok you guys want to jump on the intelligence train and take a ride? Whats making the fork oil dirty? There shouldnt be any impuritys getting in the forks, diesel engine has many reasons for impuritys mainly heat and lots of bearings rings and other things contributing! A FORK? Come on im no idiot. I work on a farm with more diesel engines than alot of you have ever seen in a lifetime let alone worked on. I was just stating that with 7500 miles the fork oil was really really really black. I have a 2010 John Deere 9530 that can run a full 250 hours on an oil change and the oil is cleaner than the fork oil on my 2010 Road Glide with 7500 miles with roughly 100 hrs on it. Just some REAL WORLD information. What to you guys got?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
One depending on the oil they used it could be black when it went in.
Two look at the bushing above they are coated it is designed to slowly wear off. It does that so the bush wear out and not the tubes. The coating will discolor the oil .
If you have bad seals the oil would show signs of leaking and or water mix in.
Fork oil is just another issue Hd owners love to beat them self to death with.
On newer bikes unless you notice a leak ride it 50K then service it.
Unless for dome reason you need a slightly heavier oil in them.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm not doubting the train anyone is riding or trying to hop on one. Merely stating that the color of the oil is not the basis for changing it. Lets not get too testy. I used to run a maintenance out fit with 20 employees and 25 pieces of equipment 75% of which were deisel. I now work for an oil refinery. I have had just a little experience with it myself.
At any rate we agree that its best to follow MoCo's recomendation?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Black oil yes that is what I said in my earlier post USED 20/50. Not familiar with NEW black oil I guess. But who knows. If the fork is dirty at the time of the new install, what other things are floating around in there to take out seals and make the forks leak? Isnt that why you have the inital engine oil change at 1000 miles? To get rid of the impuritys from the assembly process? Why not do the same on the forks? Because some operators manual tells you not too?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Isnt that why you have the inital engine oil change at 1000 miles? To get rid of the impuritys from the assembly process? Why not do the same on the forks? Because some operators manual tells you not too?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE said:
Had'nt thought of that, I guess not as much heat or as many moving parts to contaminate the oil?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Had'nt thought of that, I guess not as much heat or as many moving parts to contaminate the oil?
You've come full circle. Why was the oil in my forks dirty and black? Chances are there were some contaminents in the forks during assembly. WHY NOT GET RID OF IT and replace the oil?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think the original oil is something other than a petroleum product. When you drain it out, it stinks something terrible. Almost like dead fish.

The replacement oil from HD is not black, it looks and smells like regular hydraulic oil. My guess would be that if you drained the original oil without ever riding the bike, it would still be black and stink.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Basic rule is your ride you decide if a rider wants to change his fork oil every 500 miles as long as he paying the bill who cares.
But there is no reason other than a seal or bushing failure to mess with it until 50K.
And if you ever use Phipps 66 heavy duty oil it was Black right out of the jug we used it for yeas on the farm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok you guys want to jump on the intelligence train and take a ride? Whats making the fork oil dirty? There shouldnt be any impuritys getting in the forks, diesel engine has many reasons for impuritys mainly heat and lots of bearings rings and other things contributing! A FORK? Come on im no idiot. I work on a farm with more diesel engines than alot of you have ever seen in a lifetime let alone worked on. I was just stating that with 7500 miles the fork oil was really really really black. I have a 2010 John Deere 9530 that can run a full 250 hours on an oil change and the oil is cleaner than the fork oil on my 2010 Road Glide with 7500 miles with roughly 100 hrs on it. Just some REAL WORLD information. What to you guys got?
Have a FLH that drained clean on one side and black on the other fork. Here's the theory: Some of the moving parts inside the fork are the spring and plunger. IMHO there may have been some slight wear on the internals causing the fork oil to be black at 10M. Change the fork oil more often than the HD Svc. Manual recommends. Most HD dealers know that this can be time consuming on baggers, so they are cool with the 50M interval. Not me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BTW, in a pinch you can use ATF. The viscosity runs 15-20W. We used ATF back in my motocross days, never had any problems. Again, the HD dealers would prefer to sell you their expensive "fork oil". Your call.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts