Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of the rare folks who isn't displeased with the stock rear shocks. But with the mileage on my 2011 RGU at 42k I'm wondering at what point do you replace the shocks? I know you change fork oil and seals at 50k, but I haven't been able to find anything anywhere in print suggesting when to replace the shocks. What say you? When would you replace your rear shocks if you were happy with ride quality but want to be safe?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just my opinion, I run the stock air shocks until they start riding rough and start bottoming out frequently. And most of my riding is 2 up with about half of that pulling a trailer. Unless you've got leaks and are happy with them, I wouldn't worry about it. On my last 2 dressers, I generally can go somewhere around 70-75K before I'm not happy with them. Then I replace them.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
No need to change the rear shock unless the seals go bad the rear shock oil can be changed and any air leaks in the lines are repairable as well. When the rear shocks start to feel bad just change the oil in them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ironmark, thanks I was unaware the oil could be changed. I do have a brand new set of shocks in the garage I took off the wife's Limited when I lowered it, so swapping them out would be the easiest but I'll keep changing the oil in mind for next time.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Not to sound doubting, but I thought I was happy with my rear shocks also, that is until I rode a bike with different shocks...so do yourself a favor and don't let somebody with good aftermarket shocks let you ride their bike, saves $$$$$.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I am another totally pleased with stock shocks. Run 40psi solo & 2 up. Never a problem. To me STOCK SHOCKS DON'T SUCK!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts