Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking links/recommendations for oil change "parts".

Specifically - where are you buying oil/primary/trans? (kits) and
Oil filters / gaskets.

I'm partial to online shopping - LMK your favorites please.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Local INDY. I could maybe save a couple dollars but I want to support them.
Primary gasket I keep one on hand but have reused one for as many as 70,000 miles.
Change oring on drain plugs every time.
INDY has Drag Specialties filters in stock so that I what i use.

Reactions: Mr D

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Oils from Walmart.

Filters and orings from Amazon

Derby seals from HD. You only need to replace that ring about every fourth service. Ofer time they grow a little with age, and won't sit in the slot anymore.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
O'Reilly for oils and filter. HD for O rings etc.

Reactions: Lutzy

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
i was using redline 20w-60 that i would get from amazon by the case. but, last time i looked, the case price had almost doubled. so, think i'm going back to my old standby, mobil1 15w-50 by the gallon jug from walmart for about $25. shell rotella t by the gallon jug for the primary about $15, and supertech 80w-140 gear oil for the transmission from walmart for about $12.

engine oil and primary get changed every 5k
tranny goes the full 20k before i change it out. figure if a manual trans car can do 100,000 miles before changing, we should be able to do 20k.

use hd filters, pick up one or two every few trips to the dealer so always have a couple on the shelf. and i bought a pack of viton (i think) o-rings so i change them out every oil change.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
310 Posts
Have ran these since new and in my Fatboy, can get from most of the box stores, order with free shipping from box stores or amazon.

I like that I can pick up a qrt if needed just about anywhere, walmart, autozone, nappa etc...

Mobile 1 also has Vtwin oil in all the same stores, both synthetic and non synthetic. Just been using this brand so long that's what i am used to and will keep using it. I did swap up the filter to a K&N this time though, the wix on the shelf looked like they had brake fluid spilled on them, all the paint had come off in the box.

Ordered the drain plug O-rings online, got a 100 pk for maybe $5 and same size is used on all drain plugs.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lutzy

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
67 Posts
Dennis Kirk ($120 per change)
HiFloFiltro Filter: They make the K&N filter, but half the cost.

1 Qt: Maxima V-Twin 80W90 Transmission/Gear Oil: Was doing it every 5k, but it was coming out looking really clean, so now I do it every 10k. Still clean at 10K.

1Qt: Maxima V-Twin Synthetic Primary Oil: Every 5k

5 Qts: Maxima Full Synthetic V-Twin 20W50 Engine Oil: Every 5K

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I just ordered a case of PennGrade1 (formerly Brad Penn Oil) on Amazon for $106 with free shipping. It works out to $8.83/qt.
I buy O rings at Ace Hardware for pennies instead of dollars at the Dealer
Primary & Trans fluid= Syn3
I buy the paper derby cover gaskets at the Harley Shop.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I buy Valvoline VR1 dino and trans fluid locally, oil filter and Form+ from local dealer. O-rings were purchased bulk from McMaster Carr. I reuse the derby o-ring but if I find I need one, it comes from dealer as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts