Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading nearly every post in this sub-site and there is SO much good info for the D-I-Y crowd. Fully plan on doing my own 1000 mile service (and anything else I can).

Do you guys who do this buy all your little parts (o-rings, oil filters, etc.) from your local stealership or is there a preferred place online? I know when I need these parts for doing service on my BMW there is a great website that offers complete 'kits' that have everything you need to do specific maintenance tasks. Makes things very simple to order because you know you will have everything you need.

Anything like that for the Road Glide crowd?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I just usually order my stuff from amsoil.I like it,and tough to beat dealer pricing.

I'm not aware of any place that sells that kinda stuff in kit form.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I get a kit from Eastern Performance. Includes: Redline synthetic oil, Redline Shockproof tranny oil, Redline primary oil, oil filter, gaskets, o-rings, stickers and Redline hat

·
Registered
138 Posts
I buy from multiple places online (google is your friend)

But if I need it fast, I go to a local small business bike shop

I also agree with the above mention of amsoil, damn good oil

·
Registered
809 Posts
I buy my motor oil and gear lube from the local autoparts store. I buy the formula plus and k&n filter at the dealer if they have them. With the "family" discount i can get the filter just as cheap or cheaper then ordering them plus it keeps me tight with the parts guys.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I buy everything from the dealership except for my oil. I buy my oil by the case from European Motor Works in Hawthorne, CA. I use Brad Penn oil which is difficult to find.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I get a kit from Eastern Performance. Includes: Redline synthetic oil, Redline Shockproof tranny oil, Redline primary oil, oil filter, gaskets, o-rings, stickers and Redline hat
I looked on line for that combo and only saw the Redline oil, funnel, hat etc. Is there a special that includes the gaskets and filter too?

As a side note I wonder why they include 5 engine oil quarts and only 1 for the primary when it holds 1 qt + 6 ounces. Looks like they'd include 2 quarts of primary and only 4 of engine oil since the engine only needs 3.5 for a change. By the way, if anyone has a Cycle Gear location nearby, they carry Redline products, pretty much the same price as several on line sites.​

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The K&N filters with the nut on the end are so easy to loosen and tighten with a socket on an extension. There is not a lot of space to get a filter wrench on the oil filter, esp with an oil cooler. I buy them from Amazon and if you do it yourself the K&N makes life a lot easier.

I get Mobil1 VTwin locally from KOI Auto Parts at a very good price and I buy Spectro 6 Speed Tran Fliud and Spectro Promary lube from whatever online source I find with a good price. Gaskets, pick them up from local dealer as needed.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You only need I quart for primary re and re if however you are taking the primary cover off completely, you'll need the extra 6 oz
I believe there's a difference in the year models. In the '12 manual it says 38 oz if just changing, 45 oz if you take the primary off and reinstall.​

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

I believe there's a difference in the year models. In the '12 manual it says 38 oz if just changing, 45 oz if you take the primary off and reinstall.​
That's freakin crazy...

I typically get my gaskets etc from dealer, oil filters too... Oil from CycleGear or another independent bike "emporium". I'll especially do this for the 1k service just so there's no questions...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Filter and Formula + at the dealer
Mobil 1 V-Twin 20 w 50.. Who ever has it on sale or Autozone when needed
Mobil 1 75 / 140 at Autozone or who ever has V-Twin on sale.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
You only need I quart for primary re and re if however you are taking the primary cover off completely, you'll need the extra 6 oz
If you only put 1 quart in primary on a change you low way low.
You may not need the full 38 OZ but it will be more than 32OZ.

No wonder some arefalling apart.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
There is more to maintenance then just a oil change. In general I get most parts from the HD dealer, such as oil filters, gaskets, o-rings, brake pads and spark plugs. The dealer may charge a little more but I know that I am getting the parts that work for my bike. I will get oil (Mobil 1 products) and light bulbs and other odds & ends at the local auto parts store. I always have extra oil filters and brake pads for my bike, I change the back brake pads every time I put on a new rear tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts