Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This question is for the helmet wearers out there...

Even though I live in the ultimate no-helmet required state - New Hampshire (state motto "Live Free Or Die" - literally) - I always wear a helmet as I started riding in a state that requires one and now I'm very used it. I hate getting hit in the face with stuff!

The wife and I typically just leave our helmets balanced precariously on our seats but I've always wanted a way to better secure them to the bike. Not because we are afraid of them being stolen (low crime in NH plus our state motto's sub-text is "Leave my stuff alone or I'll kill you") but rather because they can easily fall and get dinged up.

I've looked at the various HD and after-market helmet retention systems but most seem to lack. We don't have an Ultra, so no trunk. The HD and other systems that bolt to the engine guards look okay but not great. I like the Kuryakyn system that locks them to the end of the handle bar but you need to have the ISO grips and I don't have them and don't know if I want them.

That lockable giant HD carabiner looking thing is neat but where do you put it? The other problem is I don't what our helmets making contact with the bikes finish.

So I'm wondering for those of you that wear helmets and lock them to your bike, what systems are you using? Photos would be great. Also, links to systems you use(d) also appreciated.

· Registered
196 Posts
I usually put mine on my seat. If not there mine fits in the saddle bag. The wife usually brings hers with her in it's carrying bag but we have also placed it on the back rest or on one of the mirrors.

· Registered
137 Posts
I mounted the HD helmet lock on my left saddle bag guard instead of the engine guard. It kept the helmet away from the bike. I also bought 2 D-ring extensions (3.5" long metal that slips through the D-ring - 2nd picture). They were $2 apiece from a metric dealer. This keeps the helmet even further away, so no bike or helmet damage, and lets you hang 2 helmets from the lock. Since I got the tour pack, it's only been used when riding with friends. I usually end up with 2 helmets in the tour pack, and 1 or 2 on the saddle bag helmet lock. Penelope has become the helmet storage bike at stops.

Attachments

· Registered
818 Posts
I have a length of 1/8 cable with loops in each end I keep rolled up in a toolbag. Feed it thru the sleeves of our jackets and padlock it to the bike if the bags are full. I have also snaked it thu the tour pack mount at a motel before, just in case.

No good way I've seen to lock a helmet on. Always been a pet peeve of mine
about Harleys, the jap bikes have always had a lock someplace from the factory. ( At least my Hondas did) There was one I saw someplace that would mount on the brake caliper, but that looked like a good way to get a helmet full of dog piss.

I'm looking for something retractable with an eye small enough to go thru a D ring, string it thru and padlock it on itself. The tourpack recoils are just right, but I thing the cord is nylon or something, haven t looked at it recently.

Locks are only for honest ppl anyway. If they want it bad enough, they will get it

· Registered
5,170 Posts
Lock? deterent yes, peace of mind probably. Then there's Helmet Toss (likely not prevalent these days) cut the strap cause your taking it the garbage cans, only one rule from 20 feet, unlike horseshoes where close counts. Hope it never returns to fade

· Gone But Not Forgotten
1,070 Posts
On the Road Glide, I put mine on the mirror, top up so if it rains, water doesn't collect in it. I will usually put a wrap around the mirror with the strap so the helmet can not fall if bumped.

On the chopper, I put it on the headlight. Again, top up so it doesn't collect water in the rain. If someone is close enough to my '62 that they can bump my helmet, they need to move.

I ride year round, so rain can be an issue.

· Registered
37 Posts
I have used the gun lock from any hypothetical pistol purchases that I may have made if the past. It is fairly small and has enough length to reach. Works great thru the D rings and anywhere on the bike that has a closed loop.

· Registered
34 Posts
I always throw mine on the right grip that is up high when I park. I think it hits the fairing, but in reading this thread, I would imagine you all are much more anal about that than I am.

· Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
My half helmet fits in the left saddlebag. It only comes out if it rains hard, or I'm in a helmet law state.

· Registered
402 Posts
I hang mine on the left highway peg, passenger on the right highway peg. I have Kury Swingwing pegs mounted about halfway up the crash bars. If you hang them from the chinstraps, the left may touch the ground and the right may touch the front headpipe.

· Registered
74 Posts
You guys think you got it bad, my full face doesn't even have D rings to lock it on to the bike provided there was a place for it.

I have a speed n strength helmet, it has a quick release plastic clasp on it. Once you initially set the adjustment it's fast to strap up or take off. While I don't always wear a helmet when we do it sucks because we're afraid to leave them unless we're standing right there. $200 for a helmet and then you add the two way radios now I have a near $400 bucket.

I also have never understood why HD didn't come with a helmet lock, but the old Kaw seat as with other rice bikes had a hinged seat. Not many hinged seats on HD bikes. Also why give it with the bike when you can sell them one later?

The gun lock is a great idea, you can get those for free.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.