Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RGS 114
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Looking for a good source to buy the Dakota Digital gauges for my 21 Roadglide Spec

Seems MLX-8414 fl 2014-2021 is the correct model number but when looking at diff sites some say they will not fit my 21. Probably just a sorting glitch.
EBay is the only site that seems clear. And Dakota Digital’s site.
i am a little cautious using EBay

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,103 Posts
Hey,
Looking for a good source to buy the Dakota Digital gauges for my 21 Roadglide Spec

Seems MLX-8414 fl 2014-2021 is the correct model number but when looking at diff sites some say they will not fit my 21. Probably just a sorting glitch.
EBay is the only site that seems clear. And Dakota Digital’s site.
i am a little cautious using EBay

Thanks.
@TripleB try Eastern Performance Search results for: 'Dakota digital'
And DirectCycle Parts {DCP} Motorcycle Parts & Accessories - Direct Cycle Parts
_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0szSnpKs9QIVI4NbCh2EqQIHEAAYASADEgLUzPD_BwE
Mike U.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go to Ebay and put in MLX 8414. There is a seller "powersportssuperstore" selling it for $828.92. I received mine from him within 5 days. Hoping to have some good weather and start the install this afternoon.

Bill

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Sometimes Dennis Kirk has pretty good prices. They usually are not the same as eBay prices, but if not sure you want to use eBay, check them out.

Reactions: TripleB

·
Super Moderator
12,103 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RGS 114
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go to Ebay and put in MLX 8414. There is a seller "powersportssuperstore" selling it for $828.92. I received mine from him within 5 days. Hoping to have some good weather and start the install this afternoon.

Bill
Great. What year is your bike? Some sites that list the mlx 8414 say it does not fit my bike and some do. This ebay site would definitely be the best price

Bill
okay i see you

·
Registered
2021 RGS 114
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey i ordered them from Powersports on EBay yesterday for $828 UPS says they are out for delivery.
When I first tried to do comparative cost on different sites with the same model number some sites said say they fit my bike and some said said they would not. I’m not sure why, So i was a bit reluctant to just jump on the best price. Amazon had them $900. Most site over $1100. But Amazon also said they the gauges would not fit my bike.
Bike is ready for me to install them. I can’t ride it anywhere anyway cause I’m waiting for my fforks to come back from Suspended By Smarty. Woo hoo!

·
Super Moderator
12,103 Posts
Hey i ordered them from Powersports on EBay yesterday for $828 UPS says they are out for delivery.
When I first tried to do comparative cost on different sites with the same model number some sites said say they fit my bike and some said said they would not. I’m not sure why, So i was a bit reluctant to just jump on the best price. Amazon had them $900. Most site over $1100. But Amazon also said they the gauges would not fit my bike.
Bike is ready for me to install them. I can’t ride it anywhere anyway cause I’m waiting for my fforks to come back from Suspended By Smarty. Woo hoo!
@TripleB Congrats on The Score Brother!
Make sure to read the instructions and follow them carefully.
If You have any issues make sure to ask here as Many Members have them.
Best of Luck!
Mike U.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I finished getting the gauges installed yesterday. There is a good video on youtube;
Gives good pointers and takes his time discussing and showing things. I kept going back to it and reviewing to ensure I did things correctly.

I still have a few things to do: download the app, pull mileage in from ECM to the gauge, setup colors I want and install the oil temp sensor. I did plug the wire into the back of the gauge and stuffed it into side glove box for now.

With the incoming weather again this weekend figure it will be late next week before I can ride again.

The gauges went into my 2015 RG Ultra CVO.

·
Registered
2021 RGS 114
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finished getting the gauges installed yesterday. There is a good video on youtube;
Gives good pointers and takes his time discussing and showing things. I kept going back to it and reviewing to ensure I did things correctly.

I still have a few things to do: download the app, pull mileage in from ECM to the gauge, setup colors I want and install the oil temp sensor. I did plug the wire into the back of the gauge and stuffed it into side glove box for now.

With the incoming weather again this weekend figure it will be late next week before I can ride again.

The gauges went into my 2015 RG Ultra CVO.
Hey in setup you can turn off Oil Temp until you are ready to use it.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
One of my favorite custom upgrades are the DD gauges. I find them easier to read and incredibly more useful than the analogs I removed. This is just me, and not any shade toward guys who love their analog dials. While cruising I like having instant, colorful readouts of oil temp, ambient temp, DTE, trip meter, gear selection, and more.

Installing them was not the easiest job I've undertaken, but at least I made no mistakes and they worked immediately. The hardest part was seeing and reaching the gauge screws to remove and replace....without dropping one into the netherworld of the inner fairing. I didn't install the oil temp sensor until first service and it was fine immediately.

If you're like me, you'll figure out your best configuration and colors...then likely leave them alone. I'm all about daylight readability, followed by a nice color combo. Razzle-Dazzle doesn't work for me, so most of the crazier colors are useless to my preferences.

·
Registered
2021 RGS 114
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of my favorite custom upgrades are the DD gauges. I find them easier to read and incredibly more useful than the analogs I removed. This is just me, and not any shade toward guys who love their analog dials. While cruising I like having instant, colorful readouts of oil temp, ambient temp, DTE, trip meter, gear selection, and more.

Installing them was not the easiest job I've undertaken, but at least I made no mistakes and they worked immediately. The hardest part was seeing and reaching the gauge screws to remove and replace....without dropping one into the netherworld of the inner fairing. I didn't install the oil temp sensor until first service and it was fine immediately.

If you're like me, you'll figure out your best configuration and colors...then likely leave them alone. I'm all about daylight readability, followed by a nice color combo. Razzle-Dazzle doesn't work for me, so most of the crazier colors are useless to my preferences.
Does anyone know why the air ducts has to be removed to install the gauges?
i just did it. Its so the gauges will slip out easily. There are only two bolts and a alignment peg. No biggy.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
ok. I've been putting aside this install for a while now. I need to just go and install it. any personal advice?

·
Registered
2021 RGS 114
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok. I've been putting aside this install for a while now. I need to just go and install it. any personal advice?
Its a easy install. Do not be in a rush. Figure the tools you will need ahead of time. Verify operation before you button every thing down.
The little plastic chrome Horse shoe that sits under the ignition can be annoying. The easy way to get it off and on is to push down on the instrument cluster where the horse shoe sits.
The app is cool but its minimal compared to scrolling between gauges.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Its a easy install. Do not be in a rush. Figure the tools you will need ahead of time. Verify operation before you button every thing down.
The little plastic chrome Horse shoe that sits under the ignition can be annoying. The easy way to get it off and on is to push down on the instrument cluster where the horse shoe sits.
The app is cool but its minimal compared to scrolling between gauges.
Thanks for you help. I tackle it this week.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Finished my install today. Now need to get into setup and set the gauges to the colors and options I want to see on them.

As mentioned take your time. My biggest issue was dealing corrosion. I ride year round and am up over 157,000 on the 2015. I planned ahead and had new speaker pods on order as I knew the screws holding my windshield in place were bad. I ended up ordering a new headlight assembly off ebay due to the top bolt holes broke off the headlight assembly. All is back together now and working.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
My one piece of advice would be to ask yourself this question: Do you really value and like Dakota Digital gauges for their usefulness and functionality? I would only do them if the answer was 'yes'. They're very neat and custom looking, but a LOT of coin just to add some gee-whizz looks. I'm loving mine, but the colors are secondary to how well the gauges display data for me to view. I remember playing with the color settings for a week or two, and not once since then.

·
Super Moderator
12,103 Posts
My one piece of advice would be to ask yourself this question: Do you really value and like Dakota Digital gauges for their usefulness and functionality? I would only do them if the answer was 'yes'. They're very neat and custom looking, but a LOT of coin just to add some gee-whizz looks. I'm loving mine, but the colors are secondary to how well the gauges display data for me to view. I remember playing with the color settings for a week or two, and not once since then.
Kev, I like them very much and I believe they are much easier to see than The Needle Gauges, especially at night.
Mike U.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts