Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to get some ideas where people keep their EZ pass. I heard a rumor but can’t confirm that in NY our EZ passes need to be in line of sight of the readers, meaning they won’t work if they are in your saddlebag or mounted under the fairing. Looking to find out if this is true or not. Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I got one of those net covers for an ez pass. Than I zip tied it to the lower part of the bar just above the bend on the handlebars using the open places in the netting in between the slots that the suction cups would be. It stays in place very well and someone would need side cutters to take it off. My bars are black, the netting is as well, so I spray paint a light coat of black the ez pass, works just fine for me.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Can't speak to NY but in the land of Lincoln...Velcro'ed inside the saddlebag Lid has always worked......same with a Tour Pack Lid

·
Registered
522 Posts
On my previous batwing ultra I velcroed it under the fairing above the radio. Always worked, even in NY. On the road glide, I just leave it in the right glove box and pull it out and wedge it between the windshield and inner fairing prior to going through a toll.

·
Registered
997 Posts
in my 11. I had it under the fairing with no issues.

Not much room in the Rushmore fairing so I have it in the saddlebag lid. Have gotten mixed results. I'm going to relocate it in the glovebox to see if I get better results, if not, might put it in the top vent of the fairing.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
i dont mount my ezpass to anything because it goes with several vehicles. if im on the bike i keep it in the fairing compartment and take it out and hold it up as i ride through the toll. they have the pay by plate feature but not all toll locations allow pay by plate so the transponder needs to be used.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the great input. I have two transponders.... one that says in the car and a smaller one that stays with the bike. I would love to just "set it and forget it", like inside the saddlebag or the trunk, but I've been reading about mixed results. For now I think I'll just keep it in the fairing compartment and take it out when I need to.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I live in FL, so I have the SunPass, not the EZ Pass. As I understand it, though similar, they are not the same and not interchangable, so this might not apply to the EZ Pass. I also move my transponder between vehicles so its not permantely mounted. On the bike, I carry it in the cubby in the fairing. I leave the cover closed and do not have a problem.

The Sunpass comes with a meatalicized bag to store it in if you do not want it to respond to the interrogation. Early versions required a battery to operate the later versions do not. I believe they use RFID technology. The RF in RFID stands for Radio Frequency. The transponder does not need to have a clear, visual, line of sight but it does need a clear "radio" line of sight. Metal will block the "radio" line of sight; plastic or fiberglass should not.

Mount it where you like, just ensure there is no metal between it and the interrogator at the toll booth.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Live in Jersey and use to travel to NY often

Here's my experience. Had it velcro'd to the inside of saddlebag lid, worked like a charm in NJ, and everywhere on my trips to Milwaukee BUT travel into NY it wouldn't read. Ny has/had gates that came across the roadway. A NY State Highway Patrol officer was at the toll plaza and he would come to you and ask for your ezpass and he would take it to the "machine" to read it, especially on the way to Bear Mtn. I ended up mounting it to the top of the center vent. To keep it from "falling off", I put a couple drops of superglue between the pieces of Velcro.
Not sure if it's still that way, as its been close to a year since I crossed the Hudson on my bike

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Live in Jersey and use to travel to NY often

Here's my experience. Had it velcro'd to the inside of saddlebag lid, worked like a charm in NJ, and everywhere on my trips to Milwaukee BUT travel into NY it wouldn't read. Ny has/had gates that came across the roadway. A NY State Highway Patrol officer was at the toll plaza and he would come to you and ask for your ezpass and he would take it to the "machine" to read it, especially on the way to Bear Mtn. I ended up mounting it to the top of the center vent. To keep it from "falling off", I put a couple drops of superglue between the pieces of Velcro.
Not sure if it's still that way, as its been close to a year since I crossed the Hudson on my bike
Thanks so much for this info..... FYI at least here in "Downstate NY", there are no more manned toll plazas anywhere. Everything now is either the 5 MPH RFID readers, or the up to 55 MPH kind. Can't speak for the entire state, but last summer I did ride up to Bear Mountain and did not encounter any manned toll plazas from here to there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i mounted mine on the right side saddlebag lid at the rear of the lid inside. it didn't work when mounted to the front .this has worked in mass,nh,and maine

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
This is my ez-pass mounted under the painted fairing part that has the push button for the vent. Have it that way on both bikes. Works every single time. Its accessable without dissasembly, and its held on with the same velcro strips given by EZ-Pass for the windshields......so I know it will stay on with heat all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
This is my ez-pass mounted under the painted fairing part that has the push button for the vent. Have it that way on both bikes. Works every single time. Its accessable without dissasembly, and its held on with the same velcro strips given by EZ-Pass for the windshields......so I know it will stay on with heat all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Never mounted mine. The cameras read my plate and bill my account. If the camera fails, I win.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
From what I understand there's an additional charge for no tag detected or essentially discount is lost. What happens to a toll plaza that still has the arm and your tag isn't present ? I know you get a fine for being in the ezpass lane without a tag present and I know that the toll plaza a lot if the big ones are updated to no plaza at all......but what do you do in the case of the ones where it is still all present ?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
In Texas, the tags are passive RFID (energized by the interrogating antenna in the lane). Varying speeds, reflections, and a plethora of pother phenomenon can impact successful reads. I do RFID for a living and deal with this $hit daily.

Also, none of the toll booths are manned anymore. There is an account holder rate and a higher rate for non account holders.

If I come upon a manned gate or a gate that accepts funds (outside Texas or another state that doesn't regognize our tags), I'll stop and pay.

·
Registered
997 Posts
From what I understand there's an additional charge for no tag detected or essentially discount is lost. What happens to a toll plaza that still has the arm and your tag isn't present ? I know you get a fine for being in the ezpass lane without a tag present and I know that the toll plaza a lot if the big ones are updated to no plaza at all......but what do you do in the case of the ones where it is still all present ?
My tag was not detected a few weeks ago when crossing the Delaware. I checked my account online yesterday after seeing this thread, the camera captured my license plate, they looked me up and charged my account. I have my license plate registered with my account. If I did not do that, I would've gotten a nice letter via USPS to pay the toll with an administration fee (aprox $50).

when the plaza has booths with arms, I usually go to the ones with a collector, all lanes now have the transponder readers, so if it does not read the tag, I give them my ezpass so they can punch in the number. But always be prepared.... on my road trips out west, I always carry cash in my glove box, for those times that they do not accept ez-pass

·
Registered
997 Posts
Dead center, under the fairing for me. Not visible and can't be stolen.
Geo you got a pic of it under the fairing as you got a M8. I've tried to find an area. I got the hidden antenna so maybe it took the space. Are you talking inside the center top vent or inside the fairing?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts