Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please clarify this for me? I’ve heard contradicting views on the subject of 2:1 vs 2:2 exhausts. My questions is; which systems gives better hp and performance true duals or the 2:1 exhaust? Or are these two separate animals. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I have always heard 2 into 1 is the best performer - I also look at it this way, I was fortunate enough to have scored my current bike from a cat who builds bikes without the worry of cash - He could have used any system money can buy but to get the best performance, he went with a big old fat, loud, nasty, growling and snorting 2 into 1..............and damn I love it

·
Registered
654 Posts
2 to 1 will improve torque and thus performance. Be careful when installing systems that are too open. They may breath better which will improve H/P but will decrease torque value. Torque is your friend. Exhaust system with some type of baffle or a 2:1 system are best.

·
Registered
610 Posts
2-1 usually gives you more power in the lower rpm range but i just did some testing with a few of my exhaust systems and was really surprised. On my 16 rgs i tested a v&h pro pipe tuned with a power vision on auto tune, and got an average of 95 tq - 79 hp. Next i tested my bassani down under head pipe with v&h twin slash mufflers tuned with power vision auto tune, and got an average of 101 tq - 81 hp. Both times i was using the heavy breather elite and ran auto tune for the same length of time performing the same type of riding.

This test threw a wrench in my beliefs so i need to try a few more systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Get whatever exhaust you like and get a good tune with it. I run a 2/1 and rode with guys running 2/1/2 and 2/2. Everyone of those bikes were built rite and ran rite. All of them were fast bikes and pulled hard in the hills. Tune is key. Oh and sound. Have fun and enjoy and don't worry about the numbers so much.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
stereo of the Hookers on my RG (left t, rt hp) riding to the head forward of TH 2:1 is true bliss

You can hear the stroke and toke

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Many bikes with true duals and real free flowing exhaust make less torque, even with a good tune. The free flowing exhaust may help with HP on the very top end but cost you every where else.
The HD scavenger exhaust weather you want to except it of not is a great idea that works. It works over a wide range. Many exhaust systems most go with do little more that make it louder so they think it is faster. Of course once you start doing engine work everything changes again.
Balance is what makes it run the best air in, fuel, exhaust out. Often people start messing with the bike with no real plan where they want to go. They end up with a bike that may do one thing well but suffers over most of where it operates most of the time. Did the same silly stuff years ago myself.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Go with the exhaust that you like when it come to looks and sound.
I have true duals on my bike and they look and sound great. Unless you are going for a race bike and running balls to the walls all the way to the next tavern it probably won't matter that much which style exhaust you run.
A true dual may not produce as much HP/toque as a 2 into 1 exhaust but the difference may only be 2 to 3 hp if you have a good tune and unless your running the bike at a track you won't even feel the difference in HP. JMO

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's 2/1 all the way, unless all you care about is redline hp.

My '15, SE A/C, Prop Pipe, SEPST and a dyno tune from one of the best in the country, made 93/107. I will fully admit, those are superb numbers from a bone stock motor. Or, as the tuner told me: "That was an EXCEPTIONAL pull!!"

Keep in mind, peak numbers are meaningless, and it's the curve and rpm ranges that matter the most. With the stock cam, it was a nice broad torque curve, but things started to fall off after 3,500.

Put in an S&S touring cam, and went to 102/107, but from 3,500-5,500 I'm up almost 10/10 over the stock motor. Passing trucks is a blast!

I'm in the 100/100 club! Woot! :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm a 2X1 fan, but the X pipes can be every bit as good and sometimes better because they have a collector like a 2X1, but flow more volume.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm a 2X1 fan, but the X pipes can be every bit as good and sometimes better because they have a collector like a 2X1, but flow more volume.
"flow more volume" won't help if the engine can't use it, and the other components in the fuel/air system can't provide it.

Putting on a very high flow exhaust system is still going to be part of the air cleaner, throttle body, heads, valve sizes, a camshaft that decides when the valves are open and when they are closed, and for how long they are open and for how long both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time.

It's a multi-variable equation, and the exhaust system is only one part of it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
For me, since I do not like the look of the 2 into 1 exhaust, the Fuel Moto headpipe was by far the best. I went thru 5 exhausts, and my best numbers came from Jamie's head pipe and stock CVO muffs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts