Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Go Pro cameras and was wondering which one is the best one to buy.
I seen that there is a Go Pro Hero and then the Hero 3, and Hero 4 and so on.
I am not looking at spending a lot of money so I was looking at the Hero 3 white which is around $200 and the Hero which is around $130.
Which one of these cameras would be the best bang for the buck?
Does the Go Pro cameras come with all the mounts that I would need to mount them to the bike?
Is there a way to snap still pics or turn the video on/off while riding?

·
Administrator
10,500 Posts
get the three or four , I have the three white , I believe it is the white , it's the cheeepest 3+ they make and was around two bills ..

mine came with a sticky mount for the helmet and a mount for the handlebars or crash bars .. Wally world here carries some other go pro mounts like the suction cup ..

with the three plus and four I'm sure as well , you can run an app with your smart phone to control the camera .. there is an interval timer for stills and several options for video .. No view finder , tho I think there is one that can be purchased from go pro

I haven't used mine as much as I thought I would ( read I forget to take it with me ) . The battery is good for three to four hours and as far as I know has to be in the camera to be charged .. Don't know if there is an accessory to charge away from the camera or not , would be nice to have a couple batteries I think ..

JtB

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
The Hero 3+ Black goes to higher rez, and the picture quality is a lot better. I shoot at 2.7K 30 fps, then convert down to 1080P with the GoPro Studio software. It comes with a remote and you can switch between video and stills, turn the camera on/off, etc.

For the mount http://www.hogtagcollar.com/ It mounts to the fork "Cow Bell" .... but it gives the smoothest videos.

Watch carefully at about the 40 second mark ...... Even railroad tracks don't bounce this mount :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree at least a 3. The white will do fine. I have both white and black, one on front and rear. I have them powered by the bike so I can record 8 hours without battery issues. If you going to do lengthy recording you probably will not use the higher resolution. I honestly can't say that either one is better than the other for how I use them. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
10,500 Posts
how are you powering with the bike , as the hardwire attachment on the camera is blocked by the camera cover ..

JtB

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I bought the 4 silver because it has the screen on the back so I can use it in a pinch for still photos

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The Hero 3+ Black goes to higher rez, and the picture quality is a lot better. I shoot at 2.7K 30 fps, then convert down to 1080P with the GoPro Studio software. It comes with a remote and you can switch between video and stills, turn the camera on/off, etc.

For the mount http://www.hogtagcollar.com/ It mounts to the fork "Cow Bell" .... but it gives the smoothest videos.

Watch carefully at about the 40 second mark ...... Even railroad tracks don't bounce this mount :eek:

Can you explain it better than the website? Does it power up with the bike with the eliminator? I'm interested but website doesn't explain a lot. Thanks.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Can you explain it better than the website? Does it power up with the bike with the eliminator? I'm interested but website doesn't explain a lot. Thanks.

If you use the eliminator, you either keep it powered up, or you have to turn on wifi on the camera every time you shut the bike off, so you can use the remote. In my case I have it powered up all the time. I don't use the cig lighter. It's on an "always on" circuit. It draws minimal power, so food/gas/pee stops are a non issue. At the end of the day, I unplug it.

In other words..... if you have it plugged into the cig lighter, and shut off the bike, the camera powers down, and you have to turn on wifi, every time you start the bike.

And the remote is required...... unless you have arms long enough to reach around to start and stop the camera mounted to the forks :eek:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thanks. I have the remote. Just ordered the mount package from hogtacollar. Good information.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
A very quick service. I ordered this morning (Saturday ) and they sent me tracking number already.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
how are you powering with the bike , as the hardwire attachment on the camera is blocked by the camera cover ..

JtB
Jack I ordered mine from Hogtacollar Saturday and it was here Monday. Got the rally package. I have a Hero 3 and had to order the Skelton case which has a slide on the side that allows you to access the battery while in the case. You will also need a flat adhesive mount for the bracket. I already had a few of these.

·
Administrator
10,500 Posts
yeah I clicked the link PGR put in there , after I asked the question :eek:

may have to order one

wally world has some stickies but not the skeleton back , but I think I have a skeleton in my mess here

JtB

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've read that the Hero 3 has some issues, does anyone know if the bugs are worked out on that model?

I've debated getting a GoPro. Maybe one day.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I have a Swan HD and it works great. I mount it on my helmet for my rides and underwater recording. Paid a more then $100. Good luck.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
yeah I clicked the link PGR put in there , after I asked the question :eek:

may have to order one

wally world has some stickies but not the skeleton back , but I think I have a skeleton in my mess here

JtB

I modified the case on mine to allow the Switronix battery eliminator cord to exit and still have the case be fairly water resistant.

I ran this in a fairly heavy rain last fall with no water entering the case. That would be the video that I posted earlier in the thread.

Remove the rubber seal, drill a hole the size of the cable, then replace the seal. If you are careful, you can drill the hole so that when the rubber seal is replaced, it will press on the cable for a tighter seal.

This is the part that might make you nervous........ use a Dremel, and grind away a channel on the GoPro for the cable to fit between the camera and the inside of the case .............not for the faint of heart.

Finished product. For extra water resistance, a dab of plastic safe grease (I use dielectric grease) can be dabbed into the hole for the cable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts