Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a ported OEM head perform the same as a ported SE head? Both with the same size valves.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Depends a lot variables. The ported set may be better as it may flow a lot better. I have heard a set of the se heads still need all of work.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Would probably be best to contact the head porter you plan to use, and ask them what they prefer for a donor head. While you're at it, describe your riding style, and power expectations, and have them choose the cam as well.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Would probably be best to contact the head porter you plan to use, and ask them what they prefer for a donor head. While you're at it, describe your riding style, and power expectations, and have them choose the cam as well.

Jeff
I have not had the head ported (yet!), but this is exactly how I had my Cam chosen. I did not pick it, Bob Woods picked it after hearing about my riding style. They indie guy who bored out my engine also picked the pistons. Nothing fancy, flat top cast pistons. Said I did not need anything more expensive.

Oh, and in case anybody is wondering (you know who you are), I did not port the heads because I used up the budget boring it out to a 103, cams and lifters. I got what I wanted, for now.

Gotta question for those who know more than I do about this. I have heard that if you port your heads, they will run a bit cooler. Is this true, and if so, can someone explain this? I was thinking of (as I heard it called) a Street Port. I have stock '09 96 heads.

P

·
0 Posts
our street port heads will flow about the same as SE heads,our stage II & III easily out flow SE`s

P

·
0 Posts
I understood the question to be; which core would perform better, given the same valve and porting job. :confused:
dont think thats what he`s asking,i think he`s asking if a ported stock casting will flow as much as a "out of the box" SE head,maybe the OP can chime in

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have not had the head ported (yet!), but this is exactly how I had my Cam chosen. I did not pick it, Bob Woods picked it after hearing about my riding style. They indie guy who bored out my engine also picked the pistons. Nothing fancy, flat top cast pistons. Said I did not need anything more expensive.

Oh, and in case anybody is wondering (you know who you are), I did not port the heads because I used up the budget boring it out to a 103, cams and lifters. I got what I wanted, for now.

Gotta question for those who know more than I do about this. I have heard that if you port your heads, they will run a bit cooler. Is this true, and if so, can someone explain this? I was thinking of (as I heard it called) a Street Port. I have stock '09 96 heads.
Yes, a ported head can/will cool an engine down, as the sheer volume of air, passing thru the powerplant is way up, on both the intake, and exhaust, starting from as soon as you crack the valve off the seat at, say, .100" lift, and rapidly building dramatically thru the mid-lift area, and continuing to pull air in the upper lift ranges as well.
Usually an OEM casting is done at about .400" lift,(117-119 cfm @ 10" if my memory is correct) and many times will actually run in reverse, once past that test lift, as our flow bench testing has shown us.
Our Stage III Touring Heads, for example, are pulling around 142-143 in the same area, and we like to see them peaking at about 160-162 cfm at .600" lift. :)
Scott

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks to all for your input. I did find out what I wanted to know. Special thanks to you sponsors that took the time, for your info. That is something I WILL remember when I need any services.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts