Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike requires the button less key fob and I lost one. We have a local Stealer within 3 miles of my house. I did not buy my Glide there I actually do not know anyone who has. I checked there for replacement fob and I was told 45.00 for the fob 40.00 to have a new barrel key made and recieved and one hour in shop fee which is just under 100.00. So just about 200.00 after taxes and I nearly cried. I called the dealer where I bought the bike and they had a fob and barrel key there it is about a 90 minute ride, weather cooled off here in Florida so wife said lets ride. Picked up the fob and had guys order new barrel key and was directed to see guys in service to program the fob to the bike. They took both the old and the new fob a scooted into service with my bike. Thinking it is an hour I start looking at apparel and within 10 minutes I hear them calling for me to go back to service. My thoughts are oh crap what did they find and when I get to the area I meet up with the guy and he hands me both fobs and says thanks have a nice day no charge happy to help you. So my question is how in the heck can they charge an hour for something that takes no time and if others have had similar experience?

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
^^^^^^+1, what he said.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
The dealers are starting to charge an hour labor for a simple repair instead of a 1/2 hour which is Bullshit.
Why do you need a new barrel key for a fob replacement??? All they need to do is program the Fob to the bikes security system and they are done, there is no need for new keys.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Thus the difference between a stealer and a dealer.
That's exactly right

The dealers are starting to charge an hour labor for a simple repair instead of a 1/2 hour which is Bullshit.
Why do you need a new barrel key for a fob replacement??? All they need to do is program the Fob to the bikes security system and they are done, there is no need for new keys.
He may be like me and has his key attached to the fob. If he lost the fob, the key would be with it

·
Registered
605 Posts
It's stories like this that makes me glad for my dealer, Treasure Coast Harley has always done me right. Had my clutch cable break just before a trip they came and got the bike, fixed it and brought it back the same day, I have the ESP and the total cost was $50.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I bought my FOB off eBay and the dealer charged me $20 to program it. I had a barrel key cut at a local locksmith for $9.00. If you pull the black sleeve off your second key you'll find the key code stamped on it. If you don't have a second key you can get the code from the dealership where you purchased the bike. I'm just sayin'....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Stealer, in my case was Treasure Coast. The Dealer was Space Coast. When I was buying the bike Treasure Coast simply would not negotiate a dime so I traveled to Space Coast to just look and they actually wanted to deal and I bought the bike. I have gone to Treasure Coast for apparel, boots, and bought a few helmets again I live 2 miles from them. I was shocked when service guy said an hours labor once I bought fob from them. I asked Jeremy a service writer at Space Coast if it was a service done for just those who bought bikes there only as a courtesy he said, no always. I have no beef with Treasure Coast overall again they serviced my bike and again I have spent bucks for other things there. I was just floored at the fee especially when it took just a few minutes for it to be done. And they have made plenty off of me.

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
Space Coast is a great dealer, and always willing to bargain. I'll probably be buying my next bike there.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Agree with that space coast is a great dealer I bought my bike from there and live in New York smooth transaction my parents live down there I was there on vacation

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
151 Posts
Space Coast is where I purchased my bike. No one around here would deal. I saw the bike on line and made the deal. I told the salesman that I live about 3 hours away and I wanted to ride it home. He said I'll come pick you up. I said what if it's not really what I want and he said, then I'll take you back home, so he picked me up. Got there and loved the bike, rode it home.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
That's a great dealer. I remember back in the day when I bought my 1999 wide glide, every dealer was charging thousands over msrp. The only dealer in Ny area back then that sold for sticker was Harley of Edison NJ. It was an awesome dealership. After I bought the bike I stopped by New York Harley and saw the same bike for $5000 more then I had paid. I told the guys in sales what I had paid at Edison and they went nuts. They said they were trying to get rule in order that one could only buy Harley's in the city you live in. Ridiculous! I laughed at them and said good luck with that. Another stealer was Brooklyn Harley, they also ripped people off. They eventually shut down because they were also selling Vespa scooters till the company got wind of it. And every Brooklyn Harley shirt had big picture of the owner on the logo and he was not pretty :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts