Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my Molex plug connectors taken aprt on my 2016 road glide so I can pull the wires for my new bars and I am having issues with the Molex plug connectors, I have all small plug housings on my bike, not the big square style. Does anyone know which Molex tool works on the smaller pin terminals ?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I just used a small paper clip and when that didn't work on some of the clips I used a large sewing needle. Surely there is the "right" tool for the job, but I made due with what I had on hand at the time :)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I just used a small paper clip and when that didn't work on some of the clips I used a large sewing needle. Surely there is the "right" tool for the job, but I made due with what I had on hand at the time :)
I used the same method w/o any issues. No special tool needed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok im with you guys here too, Just got one side out from the backside with a paper clip. LOL This is sick. Thanks for the input ! One more question, are all the canbus Molex pins the same size on all of them ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the small male two pin black and white connector heated grips coming out of the throttle by wire assembly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I didn't need to remove the plugs when installing my 12" bars on my '16. Took a little finagling but they slid through in about 15 minutes

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input guys, I ended up getting them all out with a custom tool I made, It was a PITA, but I got them out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm surprised you had to do that. I swapped out my brother's '16 RGS and did not have to take the molex connector apart. I even bought a tool on ebay in planning for it. Although depending what bars you got, it may have made it a lot easier to pull the wires through.

·
Registered
612 Posts
On every 14 and up i did not have to remove the plug ends. One set of bars i did for a buddy were real tight. I just unplugged the ends in the switch housing, and pulled them in through the bars in reverse. I was a little worried about doing it this way but its been almost 2 years now of hard use and all works well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did my bars today and did not de-pin the molex plugs. I unplugged the smaller two plugs on the throttle side and pulled then out the bottom of the bars. I have a 2015 RGS and installed the Road 6 customs 13" Holy Rollers.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I did my bars today and did not de-pin the molex plugs. I unplugged the smaller two plugs on the throttle side and pulled then out the bottom of the bars. I have a 2015 RGS and installed the Road 6 customs 13" Holy Rollers.
That works too and actually makes it easier :)

I still had to de-pin the TBW connector. With that being said the easiest is to bite the bullet and buy the NAMZ wire extension kit, cut, solder and call it done. The last two 2015 "helper" installs we did using this method. A lot less time consuming and wires literally just slip through the handlebar tubes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I installed west coast T bars and removing the Can Bus plugs was a must. If not they would have gotten all beat up and I dont roll like that. I didnt think about pulling them thru in reverse after unplugging from the controls, That may have worked. "Next time, there aint gunna be a next time"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts