Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realize this is a personal preference but I can only afford to buy once so I am asking the experts. I am looking at 10-12" bars but I want to be able to lean back against my back rest and not have a long reach to the bars. I think I am looking more for a different wrist angle than anything. Can anyone recommend bars with a little more reach but enough pullback to comfortably use the backrest?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Not only a personal preference, but will vary on body size as well. I have 13" Road 6 Customs Holey Rollers pulled back so that they align with the front forks. This enables me to use my backrest and have a comfortable grip angle. I don't know if this would work for you (in a smaller size, though I wish I had gone to 14"). Good luck with your decision. FWIW, I did a chart in Excel with all of the pertinent information for many different bars to help me make my decision based on sizing and specs. I was not disappointed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I will look into Road 6. The local dealer is trying to sell me on LA Choppers Twin Peaks. Should have mentioned I am 6'1" and a slim and trim 240 (HA!).

·
Registered
359 Posts
I realize this is a personal preference but I can only afford to buy once so I am asking the experts. I am looking at 10-12" bars but I want to be able to lean back against my back rest and not have a long reach to the bars. I think I am looking more for a different wrist angle than anything. Can anyone recommend bars with a little more reach but enough pullback to comfortably use the backrest?

The Tallboy Bars work for me in that aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I will look into Road 6. The local dealer is trying to sell me on LA Choppers Twin Peaks. Should have mentioned I am 6'1" and a slim and trim 240 (HA!).
With that being said, You may want to reconsider and go to 14" bars unless you're all legs and short torso. On my '11 I used to have, I installed 12" bars and while they were okay, I wished I had gone taller but picked up a helluva deal on a used set. I'm about 5'11" now (getting shorter with age) with a 34" inseam. I just ordered a set of 14" Vindicta Maraduers for my '15. I'm sure I'll like them better than the 12s on the old bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I started with 12” Harley aps, then went with 14” factory 47 signature bars which were too low due to the cut back so just last weekend put 16” factory 47 signature and are perfect for me 6’3” 32” inseam and I ride 2.5” back due to custome made seat and use backrest. What most will say and great advice when in doubt always go a size up

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im just under 6' ...got the factory 47 signature bars 12". They are PERFECT . Check out the site...being yaffee bars are unavailable till March from what i was told. These bars look and feel awesome!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Check out JSR Customs. The "bad attitude" bars have a bend at the bottom to bring the closer. I have a set of 12", great guy to deal with and world of difference in a better way over stock bars.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Check out JSR Customs. The "bad attitude" bars have a bend at the bottom to bring the closer. I have a set of 12", great guy to deal with and world of difference in a better way over stock bars.

Have any pics? I’ve been looking at these bars myself but really wanted 10” and the shortest he makes are 12”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I just installed the KST Kustoms 14" Outlaws. I sat on a bike with 12" Outlaws and felt like they were perfect but I ended up talking myself into going with the 14" because many give the advice of going taller than what you think. Well I have to say that the advice did not work in my case. I wished I had gone with the 12" bars. The good thing is that with the wrist angle of the bars you can roll them back closer to you and it not only makes them a little lower but it doesn't make the wrist angle weird. I just prefer the look of the bars pushed more forward but that will have to be a sacrifice in order to get to the more comfortable position. Whatever bar you choose make sure the pull back is where you like it and that it will give you a wide range of adjustability forward and back without putting the wrist at a bad angle.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a set of 14" KST Outlaws. KST will do a custom bend if you ask. The Outlaws come with a 5" pull back, but I ordered a 7" pull back. I'm 5'8 with average length arms and torso, the fit great.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
A few things to consider as well, Meat Hooks or standard curve, deep pull back or straight shot, etc etc....you see where this is going - You also have to consider your seat as that can make all the difference in the world too - I am 5'10'....5"11 with a 32-34 inseam, rock a seat that sets me back and down an inch or so in each direction, had '12 HD Tall Boy Bars on my old '15 and loved them as I was able to sit back against the riders back rest in comfort - I now rock the HD Chizzled Lows that have a 10 inch height and 9 inch grip - Thought they would be too low but actually LOVE the height as for me, it almost gives a flat track like "push & pull" aspect when in and out of the tight stuff.

Here is a pic of the 12 inch tall boys from my old '15 and the Chizzeld Lows on my 18 are pictured in my "Garage" - As for Bars I have always loved, I have a thing for Carlini's and their Gangster Ape bars....dunno why but I just do - Vindicta (sp) makes some damn good bars too

Attachments

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
^ what he said. If you're good with your seat then go for bars. If you plan on changing your seat, do that first! It will greatly affect where you want your bars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To put a cap on this i finally made the decision. My local dealer recommended 10" LA Chopper Twin Peaks, which i tried out on the owners personal bike and liked the feel. i went to their pre-black friday sale party and they shot me a deal i couldn't refuse. So i bought them, did the install Sunday, only took 2-3 hours. What a difference, i think i will really like them. Now i have came down with a nasty head cold and have not had a chance to try them out. Thanks everyone for all of the advice.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Factory 47 in 12 suits me perfectly and yet I measure 6.07.
I find the spacing of the hands perfect and visually the diameter 1.5 is imposing to wish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts