Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new 21 RGS and starting to switch out stock parts. I’m looking for slip ons that sound good but also not obnoxiously loud but even more importantly is performance. Was hoping to get some opinions from those who have experience with these. I’ve narrowed it down to these

rinehart dbx 40
ss grand nationals
FM jackpot high rollers

eventually I will change header pipes and update to a woods 22XE cam most likely

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the Forum. I went with TABs before doing a Stage II. They weren’t loud enough to my liking but better then stock. You’ve got a popular list, GL with your choices as you make it your own.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went with the Tab 4.5" BAM sticks with the zombie baffle. I would say it's a little quieter than the Tab zombie slip-ons I had on my Street Bob but the larger diameter produces a deeper sound.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Had Grand nationals for maybe a year and then swapped over to Tab 4.5" Bam Sticks about a year ago.

My Grand Nationals:

My Tab Performance:

Grand nationals with the silencers they put in are quieter than stock imho. Remove silencers and they get a little more sound, dont think they had enough rumble though.

Tabs are pretty loud under 2 conditions to me, when you first start bike and under throttle. Just cruising and idling after bike is warm they really arent much louder than my Grand Nationals.

However the difference under accel between the two is huge. If I am accelerating to pass some with the Grand Nationals, it sounds the same as cruising. With the Tabs they get louder and deeper.

Got a killer deal on my Tabs, only reason I bought them. $100 for a set like new figured of I didn't like them I would sale for a little profit and try the Mk's or something else that had a little more sound than my Grand Nationals.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had Grand nationals for maybe a year and then swapped over to Tab 4.5" Bam Sticks about a year ago.

My Grand Nationals:

My Tab Performance:

Grand nationals with the silencers they put in are quieter than stock imho. Remove silencers and they get a little more sound, dont think they had enough rumble though.

Tabs are pretty loud under 2 conditions to me, when you first start bike and under throttle. Just cruising and idling after bike is warm they really arent much louder than my Grand Nationals.

However the difference under accel between the two is huge. If I am accelerating to pass some with the Grand Nationals, it sounds the same as cruising. With the Tabs they get louder and deeper.

Got a killer deal on my Tabs, only reason I bought them. $100 for a set like new figured of I didn't like them I would sale for a little profit and try the Mk's or something else that had a little more sound than my Grand Nationals.

Agreed, they definitely jump in volume under throttle. Tab's got a good video on the difference between the 4" & 4.5" here ->

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How are Tabs performance wise? When I upgrade later cam & head pipes want to make sure they have enough back pressure not to affect bottom end

·
Registered
250 Posts
How are Tabs performance wise? When I upgrade later cam & head pipes want to make sure they have enough back pressure not to affect bottom end
I bought the zombie inserts for mine, helps back pressure a lot.

Does give a different decel tone than without them though, actually have had mine out quit awhile b/c I like the sound better without.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve got the S&S GNX 4.5’s on my 2021 RGL. I think they sound good, plenty loud. Plus if you are going on a long trip and don’t want to hear the constant drone of a loud exhaust you can slip in the db silencers. Takes 5 minutes. They are still louder than stock with db silencers.

if not the S&S, my second pick would be the Rineharts.

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
864 Posts
How do you like them? I wasn’t sure about 4.5” being to big but for some reason these don’t look to big like other ones out there.
like stated, they have a smooth rumble, with a bit of a bite at accel. I’ve gotten complements on the sound locally. I’m glad I went with them. I don’t know the differences between these or the MK’s, I bet they are close.

on another note, I thin the 4.5”is gonna look different on every bike. Bike color, tour pack, extended bag, etc..
I bet you’ll be happy with these or the MK’s..

·
Registered
25 Posts
2020 RGS with MK45s. Just put them on, like the sound without the dbreducers in them.
Did you notice the power loss with the db reducer removed. Was told if I removed the db reducers I would loose all my low end until 4 thousand rpm…said the M8 motor needs back pressure to operate properly. I installed the MK 45’s today on my 2021 RGS and they’re not much louder than stock idling. Just wondering if anyone else saw the low end power loss? Thanks

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
MK 45's were designed for the M8 The 4.5 is a great look on mine but I can't speak for extended bags. Low end torque. I do low speed stuff all the time. I have removed the baffles after testing for a couple of weeks. Removing baffles will not be detected by your ass but by your ears. A riding buddy tried not to remove his but after continually hearing mine he removed his finally. Yep both Allen screws. You can even shorten them and if you don't like new inserts are cheap last time I checked. Also removing them give the exhaust a better look from the back

·
Registered
25 Posts
MK 45's were designed for the M8 The 4.5 is a great look on mine but I can't speak for extended bags. Low end torque. I do low speed stuff all the time. I have removed the baffles after testing for a couple of weeks. Removing baffles will not be detected by your ass but by your ears. A riding buddy tried not to remove his but after continually hearing mine he removed his finally. Yep both Allen screws. You can even shorten them and if you don't like new inserts are cheap last time I checked. Also removing them give the exhaust a better look from the back
Thanks for the info. Are you saying you just removed the db reducer or the whole baffle? When I mention to the Fuel Moto rep where I bought the pipes about just removing the db reducer he said to definitely leave it in or it would lose low end torque pretty bad. Will have to pull just the db reducer I guess to see what that does for starters 😁

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I just removed the db reducer

Yep. In and out. Takes no time. Out will not produce any popping or reduced fuel usage on long trips. They also quite down at cruise speeds but sound great at slow speeds or increase rpms rapidly. Many that follow me always say on the highway the can hear when it's go time.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Some people also tried removing just one of them and not both, helped a little. I would assume that if you removed the left one, the change would be a little different compared to the right, where most of the flow comes out of.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts