Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo Bro's what transmission lube are you using? I just changed mine out at about 10,000 miles and it looked really bad as in gray in color meaning metal. I know that is too many miles but for some reason I didn't think it was that many. Anyway I was and still am using the standby Harley Formula + trans and primary chaincase lube. any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
no, it isn't too many miles. Harley specs the oil change interval for transmission at 20k. my cvo has over 26,000 miles on it. I changed the transmission fluid once at the 1k service, and then again at 20k.

opinions differ on the 'best' lube to use. i'm of the opinion that it's a gearbox, so use gear oil. the first change I went with mobil1 75w-90. this last change, I went with supertech 75w-90. yes, Walmart oil. its made by citgo, and has received some very good used oil analyses over at bobistheoilguy.com. plus, you can't beat the price. full synthetic, less than $10. i'll run it until I change again at 40k. when I check it, it still has good color and viscosity.

·
Registered
811 Posts
AMSOIL V-Twin Transmission Fluid in mine; working great so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
I use redline's tranny oil most times , right now it has Lucas 75-90 , has had BelRay as well , I am anal about it and wont run it 20k , I change the primary with the motor and the trans every other oil change which usually means 12-15000 ..

I'm with skratch , it's gears , so use gear oil ..

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I used both Mobile 1 and Valvoline 75/90 and 75/140 full synthetic gear lube in my 08 since it was new and the trans has over 100K with no repairs done to it at all. I use the 75/140 more now that I am in Arizona but when I lived in a cooler climate the 75/90 seemed to work fine. Also the Valvoline cost less (around $12 qt @ Autozone) then the Mobil 1 and it works just as good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use redline's heavy tranny oil, Mobile1 in the motor and Rev tech in the primary. makes it easy to identify any leaks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Red Line Heavy Shock Proof

·
Registered
339 Posts
I USE Lucas Oil Heavy Duty Gear Oil BECAUSE MOST OF MY RIDING IS IN HOT WEATHER AND MY BIKE RUNS HOTTER WITH 11:1 COMPRESSION

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mobil 1 75/140 since new. Tried BelRay once. Drained it in less than 500 miles. Over 100k and still shifts smooth.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Red Line here. Most likely have to buy it online depending where you live.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Amsoil is all I use three separate fluids for three locations
Tranny- severe gear, quieter shifts
Crankcase straight 60 quiets the rockers -some cooler temps
Primary a soil
Hope this helps
Ride safe

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I use Redline Shock Proof & change all fluids every 5K.
that's serious overkill. gear lube in a car can easily go over 100k. but somehow that same lube in a hd has to be changed at 20k (factory spec?), and some, like yourself, change it even more often than that.

I go the full 20k on my tranny changes. but I do change the engine and primary at 5k. even though hd specs the primary change at 10k. but, I use shell rotella t which costs about $15 for a gallon. enough to do 3 changes in the primary.

not dogging on you for doing it, it's your bike, your money. whatever makes you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't sweat it. 20,000 mile intervals and I put in Mobil 1 at 1,000 miles. I don't worry about it.
Oh boy, oil thread number 1,114,3399... lol. Just kidding, its fine to ask but you get what you asked for. I run nothing but M-1 in all three holes, however I don't agree on 20k intervals. Yes, its just a gear case... but it's MY GEAR CASE! ;-)

m-1 20-50 motor, m-1 10-40 primary (and whatever is left over from 20-50), m-1 75-90 gears. I change all my fluids myself, this new one at 1200 or so miles and already the primary looked like baby shit gray and the engine was dark. No way I'd put that crap back in my bike.

Frankly many of those already mentioned have established a proven track record, Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. All the top brands do ongoing extensive research / testing / compliance issues etc. so I wouldn't be afraid of any of them. Then again, when you buy an oil with an auto or motorcycle manufacturer name on it, you can be sure they didn't make it.

Me, I've been using M-1 since I forget when, and it always, always, works as promised or better.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Redline in the tranny, it makes a difference, particularly finding neutral. Good stuff.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts