Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a RG conversion on my RK, and would like to get a good windshield.

I have seen a few advertised, MAKO, Windvest, LRS, etc. Just not sure which is the best way to go, or which one would be a good starting point; I am 5'8" tall.

Would greatly appreciate any input on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I road my brothers in Tampa with a 12" clockwork to much buffering hat almost blew off my head, I started with 14" HD windspliter worked great but I did not like the look. I running a 11" Wind Vest I like the look and I can hear the radio at 90.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am doing a RG conversion on my RK, and would like to get a good windshield.

I have seen a few advertised, MAKO, Windvest, LRS, etc. Just not sure which is the best way to go, or which one would be a good starting point; I am 5'8" tall.

Would greatly appreciate any input on this.

Thanks!
There are a couple of things that should be considered here: First off, will you be riding solo most of the time, or 2-up? What works well for the driver doesn't necessarily work for the passenger.

Also, are you going to be using the 2010-up fairing mounts or the 2009-down mounts? I ask this because starting in 2010, the RG fairing was adjusted UP and tilted forward a bit - this may affect the height of the shield you will want.

And finally, how important are aesthetics? :D Arguably the best shield for the RG is the MadStad system, but many folks cannot get over the looks. :eek:

I have personally used a 15" Cee Baileys, 13" Windvest, and 13" MadStad. for me (5'-11" on a 2004 RG) the best is the MadStad, hands down. The second best would be the Windvest followed by the Cee Baileys. All of them are however MUCH better than the stock windshield. :)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I like the Klock Werks windshield that I have... much improvement over stock, but I understand there are better options. Looking...

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I have come to realize that each person puts a different value to certain parts of their bike based on looks over performence or performance over looks and windshields are the most debated mod on this forum. Here is kind of my personal take after reading and being a part of so many threads on the topic.

If your ratio of importance is:

90% looks 10% performance (reduced buffeting) - 8" Klockworks or Winsplitter shileds are among the top choices.

50% looks 50% performance - 10" - 12" Windvest/LRS Mako or Cee Bailey's type winshields are very good.

25% looks 75% performance - 13" and up of the above listed shields

10% looks 90% performance - Madstad is the best choice.

Now with this being said.... I personally have migrated to performace over looks and have gone with the Madstad. And because I like the performance so well I percieve the looks of the shield to be not as bad as others. On the flip side, someone with a 8" Klockworks may like the looks so much that they are fine with the performance that others claim is not very good. It is a very personal choice and you have to decide what is the most important part for you. This is just my 2 pennies and I am sure there will be plenty of folks on here that will disagree with my ratio's but I think this is at least in the ball park of how to look at shields. Hope this helps.

K- :D

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have a brand new baggershield in a box at home to mount this weekend.
Got the tall one, but it doesnt look like togehter they will be as tall as OEM.

Be awhile before i can ride it and see, winter still hanging on up here

1 - 12 of 12 Posts