Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the WHIM installed right when it was released. Today it failed. Dealership tested it re-flashed it. Said the computer could see the WHIM but Radio could not. It is covered by Warranty set up April 4th to get it in. More news to follow April 5th.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I had the WHIM installed right when it was released. Today it failed. Dealership tested it re-flashed it. Said the computer could see the WHIM but Radio could not. It is covered by Warranty set up April 4th to get it in. More news to follow April 5th.
So what failed? The computer sees the WHIM but the radio does not sounds like a radio issue. No?

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Won't know for sure until they open it up. Under warranty I am not messing with it. It started acting up, hearing sounds that should not be there on and off. The the WHIM paring option would not show up, the it would come back. Then it did not show up and did not come back. The radio system works prefect. I will know more after the appointment . Little riding to do so I did not want to leave it today.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Looking at the docs for my HD/Sena Headset, when I used the Headset Firmware updater, it has a provision for updating the WHIM as well. That tells me you can connect a computer directly to the WHIM and update firmware. That is probably what they mean when the computer can see it. It could be that a connection is loose. When I watched them install the WHIM in my new bike, they had to remove a lot more than I would have thought to install a module on the radio (they had to pull the tank and open the wire tray underneath, for some reason).

Also, the WHIM is made by Sena, who knows who really makes the HD Radio. The two have to be in agreement as to how they talk. Could be some kind of a mismatched firmware between the two.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the docs for my HD/Sena Headset, when I used the Headset Firmware updater, it has a provision for updating the WHIM as well. That tells me you can connect a computer directly to the WHIM and update firmware. That is probably what they mean when the computer can see it. It could be that a connection is loose. When I watched them install the WHIM in my new bike, they had to remove a lot more than I would have thought to install a module on the radio (they had to pull the tank and open the wire tray underneath, for some reason).

Also, the WHIM is made by Sena, who knows who really makes the HD Radio. The two have to be in agreement as to how they talk. Could be some kind of a mismatched firmware between the two.
Yes using HD device manager and your lap top you can update the WHIM software. You can not do the Flash. There have been no updates to the WHIM software yet. Early only I did hook up lap top and loaded the WHIM software just to see how easy it was. It had been working fine.
Headset software is fine it is something in the WHIM it's self that has fail. It could also be a connection lose bad wire we will find out. Dealer already did a re-flash and load the WHIM software again.
So next step is to open it all up April4th.
They pull the tank to run harness back to the right side cover . That is where the micro USB connector is

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I do know now is it comes and goes. Right now it working normal again. Wild guess something is lose, bad wire ect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Keep us posted on the outcome. I suspect there are several of us with inquiring minds.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It came back then failed again 2 twice. I dropped it off today. Darn snow coming tomorrow wanted to make sure it got there. They would pick it up but that is a pain. It was a cool 32 degrees but grandson and I took the long way to town to drop it off.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well they found the issue. It was a Bad fuse that was not fully blow. It wold make connection some time not others. What I like best is the charge was Zero. 3-6 inches of snow last night. I am not picking it up today.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well they found the issue. It was a Bad fuse that was not fully blow. It wold make connection some time not others. What I like best is the charge was Zero. 3-6 inches of snow last night. I am not picking it up today.

Thanks for the update! Glad it wasn’t anything serious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got to thinking about it, in 2007 I had one of those mini fuses do the same thing. I was losing tail lights . Checked every thing pulled to fuse and checked it 3 times. After it came on and went out again I just started changing fuses even if they looked good. Problem went away never came back.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Glad to see it was something stupid and not an issue with the WHIM directly.

We're getting random acts of shitty weather too. But it's not sticking and they have not salted the roads. So that's one good thing.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to see it was something stupid and not an issue with the WHIM directly.

We're getting random acts of shitty weather too. But it's not sticking and they have not salted the roads. So that's one good thing.
They have no problem hanging on to it until I come get it. Dropped to 16 degrees last night. I do want to test it good before May we have a few rides coming up one about 2 weeks worth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts