Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 RG Special and I had my HD dealer install a WHIM a couple of months after I bought the bike.I also purchased the Harley 20S dual pack from the dealer as well. My issue is whenever I boot up the passenger headset the passenger volume on the HD boom screen is turned all the way down on everything phone, intercom etc so of course my passenger can not hear anyhing until I turn their volume up. I never have the issue with the driver headset. This has happen since day one of the WHIM install so I think it may be the WHIM itself but before I take it back yet again to the HD dealer I thought I would check in with the forum.

Below is what I have tried to fix the problem.

1- Updated firmware on both headsets then went back to original firmware (did not help) so went back to update.
2- Unpaired and repaired passenger headset to WHIM several times
3- Unpaired driver headset and and paired it as the passenger (to rule out layer 1 issue) no luck
4- Took motorcycle back to dealer to reflash WHIM and make sure it had the latest firmware (thought that fixed it but no)
5- Tried booting the headset before I start the bike and tried after I start the bike (no luck)
6- Called HD and Sena IT and they both said take it back to the dealer they never heard of the problem.
7- Headsets are not paired to any other devices only to the WHIM

A few times when I start the bike the passenger HS volume is up on bike passenger volume screen but I have to turn the volume all the way down then back up for the passenger to hear anything. Everything works fine until I turn the bike off such as when getting gas done riding. Then when I start the bike back up I have to turn the volume up on the Boom passenger volume screen.

Any input would be greatly appreciated....Ride Safe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2019 need a whim except for the CVO which come with them.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Did you try swapping the driver and pass HEADSET and see if the problem goes with the headset or stays in the pass position?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I put wired headsets front and rear on my 19 RGS. When ever I take the tour pak off and put it back on I end up with the very same issue with the rear headset settings. In my case I'm pretty sure it's a function of the radio not detecting the rear plug and turning all the volumes off.

But on the flip side if the tour pak stays on keeping the rear plug connected the volumes stay set.

I know it's not the same problem as you have but it would seem to point to something with the radio its self.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I put wired headsets front and rear on my 19 RGS. When ever I take the tour pak off and put it back on I end up with the very same issue with the rear headset settings. In my case I'm pretty sure it's a function of the radio not detecting the rear plug and turning all the volumes off.

But on the flip side if the tour pak stays on keeping the rear plug connected the volumes stay set.

I know it's not the same problem as you have but it would seem to point to something with the radio its self.
This sort of echos what I would suggest. If you have the wired headsets, try them. The WHIM/20S combo is supposed to work like a wired headset, with some bluetooth exceptions. I don't have a passenger so I don't have a second 20S on my 2018 FLTRU. When I look at the volume control when using the WHIM, the rear is always at the very lowest setting.

One thing I have noticed on mine. Follow this sequence. Turn on the bike (not starting the engine), radio comes on, turn on headset, it pairs with the radio, start the bike, the headset pairs again. There is a power interruption when starting the engine that causes the radio to drop the pairing, then re-establish it once the engine is started.
Try leaving the headsets off until you start the bike. See what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried booting the headset after I started the motorcycle as I said in my desciption and did not help.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
There is an update for the GTS most of it deals with wireless headsets. I made another post with the info. I did the update last night as well as a map data update. I don’t use wireless headsets so I can’t tell you if it will fix your issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! Did you ever figure this out? My 2015 Ultra Limited is doing the same thing. We installed the WHIM and have the dual HD 30k's. The passenger volume controls are reacting exactly as you stated in your original post.

I've updated all of the devices to the most recent firmware, etc.

Thank you!
Kevin

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
After having my bike longer and riding with the OL more, my wired headset are acting exactly the same. Just about every time. I turn my bike off I have to rest the passenger headset. It looks fine on the screen but she cant here anything. When I bump the trigger the volume bar drops all the way to off then I have to turn it back up. I was thinking I might have something to do with there not being any rear volume control. On the new bikes the rear volume control get's it power through the CANBUS on the bike so that was my reasoning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello! Did you ever figure this out? My 2015 Ultra Limited is doing the same thing. We installed the WHIM and have the dual HD 30k's. The passenger volume controls are reacting exactly as you stated in your original post.

I've updated all of the devices to the most recent firmware, etc.

Thank you!

Kevin

Kevin do you like your 30ks, my wife and I were looking into buying them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kevin do you like your 30ks, my wife and I were looking into buying them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hello! Yes, we do like the Harley branded 30ks. They are great devices and with them paired up with the WHIM, they function great with the exception of the issue noted by the OP.

Prior to this, we had the non-Harley branded 20ks which were great as long as we were using the Sena Freewires. But I got tired of dealing with these devices and wanted the direct connection that the WHIM provided. Once you switch to the WHIM, the non-HD branded sena devices sound like crap with the WHIM. Hence the reason we upgraded to the HD branded 30ks.

FYI - I sold my entire non-HD branded Sena setup on eBay and got a good chunk of my money back when I switched over.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
For the guys that are having this issue have you reported it to Harley-Davidson customer care yet? If not, please call 1-800-258-2464 and report it.

I've reported this issue SEVERAL times and each time I do I get the "We have no reports of this issue", which has to be wrong because I've reported it about 4 times and get a reference number each time....LOL.

Hopefully if enough people complain about they'll fix it with the next radio update.

Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
IMO the Infotainment system on all brands of motorcycles are just for sitting in a parking lot and blasting the speakers with some good tunes. For anything else these systems all have issues and a smart phone on the handlebars and a quality SENA or CARDO headset will exceed it in every way and better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I reported the problem today. The customer care rep said that she was aware of similar reports of this issue. She called HD engineering and they said they were working on a fix but could not say yet when the fix will be available.

For the guys that are having this issue have you reported it to Harley-Davidson customer care yet? If not, please call 1-800-258-2464 and report it.

I've reported this issue SEVERAL times and each time I do I get the "We have no reports of this issue", which has to be wrong because I've reported it about 4 times and get a reference number each time....LOL.

Hopefully if enough people complain about they'll fix it with the next radio update.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
My guess is the Rider headset is detected first. I happens every time you start the engine, even if it detected when you turned it on pre-start. So, the system sees only 1 headset and adjusts accordingly. Then the second is detected and starts at low volume because it connected after the WHIM system got setup.

I have the same setup on my 2018, minus the rear headset (no passengers). So I cannot say for certain how it really works, but from what I read here, sounds like it is a system initialization issue and it does not matter if it is Bluetooth or Wired.

If this is the case, there is probably nothing that you can do except keep checking for firmware updates. Each headset pairs at it's own speed, and if the initialization does not see a rear headset, it shuts down the volume. I never see any volume set for rear on my system as there is no rear headset, wired or bluetooth.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I reported the problem today. The customer care rep said that she was aware of similar reports of this issue. She called HD engineering and they said they were working on a fix but could not say yet when the fix will be available.
Harley Engineering has nothing to do with WHIM or Bluetooth Headsets. They are strictly SENA devices. Harley Engineering just tells SENA what they want and are willing to pay for.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My guess is the Rider headset is detected first. I happens every time you start the engine, even if it detected when you turned it on pre-start. So, the system sees only 1 headset and adjusts accordingly. Then the second is detected and starts at low volume because it connected after the WHIM system got setup.

I have the same setup on my 2018, minus the rear headset (no passengers). So I cannot say for certain how it really works, but from what I read here, sounds like it is a system initialization issue and it does not matter if it is Bluetooth or Wired.

If this is the case, there is probably nothing that you can do except keep checking for firmware updates. Each headset pairs at it's own speed, and if the initialization does not see a rear headset, it shuts down the volume. I never see any volume set for rear on my system as there is no rear headset, wired or bluetooth.
Harley Engineering has nothing to do with WHIM or Bluetooth Headsets. They are strictly SENA devices. Harley Engineering just tells SENA what they want and are willing to pay for.
It's a radio fault not the WHIM or even the wireless headset. I have rear comms on my RGS because I made a wire harness....so I'm running wired headsets front and rear and it does the same thing. The radio is not remembering/dropping the rear volume setting every time the bike is turned off. HD should be able to update the radio to tell it to save the rear settings the same way the front settings are retained.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts