Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New bike. At 150 miles or so, bike developed a whirring noise between 1800-2200 rpm. Sounds like its coming from rear and initially believed it to be a bad tire, but its RPM specific and only when there is a slight load, no noise with clutch pulled in and moving or at full throttle. I'm pointing a finger at the primary and trans. I checked the trans fluid, the level is fine.
Any ideas what may be causing it?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Take it to the dealer and let them look. Warranty is 1000 times better than us. The internet should be your last resort when you have a warranty :wink:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well, ya know what the dealer will say, "That's just normal engine noise." I would be surprised, pleasantly surprised if the dealer is reasonable about it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fortunately, I have 2 years to drown it out with the radio before factory warranty ends. Its going back asap if it gets worse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The dealers are like computer support help. Instead of telling you to reboot or explain that it is your fault, they will tell you that they all make the noise, or they will tell you (my favorite) that they cannot duplicate your issue and believe me Harley Davidson will absolutely do NOTHING to help you. They will only help when the NHTSA makes them have a recall.

·
Registered
474 Posts
New bike. At 150 miles or so, bike developed a whirring noise between 1800-2200 rpm. Sounds like its coming from rear and initially believed it to be a bad tire, but its RPM specific and only when there is a slight load, no noise with clutch pulled in and moving or at full throttle. I'm pointing a finger at the primary and trans. I checked the trans fluid, the level is fine.
Any ideas what may be causing it?
Rear wheel bearings in proximity to fail maybe..... they act weird even once failed. When it happened on my Dyna I had a similar behavior on the rear because only one of the 2 failed, so I was able to ride 40km to home just managing the throttle in a range where the load was maybe on the remaining good bearing and was not resulting in noise or vibration.
Anyhow, bike is new so let the dealer deal with it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts