Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the thundermax was worth the 999 they want. Is anyone out there using it? And what are your experiences with it? All comments appreciated.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes it is worth it if you are going to build your engine. Works great with a staged build. Check with Drago's Bike Works for a better price. He is a site sponsor and has other awesome products. Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Shark of the Month December 2013
679 Posts
I run it on my bike. Have never had an issue with it. Plug it in, put base map into it and ride. Might not make the most power with it but it has given me a smooth power band with my old setup. Havent had the new setup tuned yet to see.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I installed my TM when I did my stage 1. No dyno needed just loaded a close map and let it do its thing.

When I added a TMan 555 tq cam last winter same story. Loaded a close map and let the TM do it's thing.

The bike runs great with no pinging or popping. I got a map made a dyno shoot out this summer. Nice smooth lines with numbers equal to what 90% of the folks are posting. I get about 43 mpg at 65 with the cruise on and less when I am feeling froggy.

Once every 1000 miles or so I get my laptop and up load the map from the TM to see what changes it has made and to make sure everything looks ok. If I like it (I have never had a problem) I accept the changes and download it back to the TM to be the new baseline map.

I also used the TM to calibrate my speedo. It now reeds within 1 mph of my GPS.

+1 on talking to Drago. He has good prices and is the king of performance.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
I'm on my second bike with the TMax, I love it, works great. As mentioned talk to Frank for a much better price.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I bought mine from Frank. It was preloaded and plug and play. Easy to install and so far trouble free. I am not much for messing with maps so I left it up to Dragos for the setup and I just ride. I won't put words in Franks mouth but we discussed what I needed, the differences in other tuners and with his input I decided on the ThunderMax. If I do upgrades down the road I'm good to go.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input. I may do a stage 4 kit this winter if the $$ are there. I think I will do it. I have a fullsack sportpipe on my bike now. It has stock 2012 O2 sensors. will the thundermax 02 sensors fit? Or do I need bigger bungs.

·
679 Posts
The thundermax uses 18mm bungs. If you buy the thundermax new it will come with the bungs and you can have them welded in

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I got the T-Max and it is a great product IMO. I got mine from Frank too, great price. You need the 18mm O2 bungs for the closed loop O2 sensors and the closer the 18mm O2 sensors are to the cylinder heads the better it works, you can either weld in the bungs or get new head pipes. The 2009 head pipes have the 18mm bung and they are in the correct location and the 2009 head pipes will work on all 2009 to 2013 touring models, some aftermarket head pipes come with both the 12mm and 18mm O2 bungs so pay attention if you buy new head pipes if they offer 1 or 2 O2 locations.. The only down side that I found with the T-Max tuner is if you have a problem with the tuner or the tune the only way to communicate with customer support is by E-Mail, you can't talk to a live person which kind of sucks.

·
679 Posts
I got the T-Max and it is a great product IMO. I got mine from Frank too, great price. You need the 18mm O2 bungs for the closed loop O2 sensors and the closer the 18mm O2 sensors are to the cylinder heads the better it works, you can either weld in the bungs or get new head pipes. The 2009 head pipes have the 18mm bung and they are in the correct location and the 2009 head pipes will work on all 2009 to 2013 touring models, some aftermarket head pipes come with both the 12mm and 18mm O2 bungs so pay attention if you buy new head pipes if they offer 1 or 2 O2 locations.. The only down side that I found with the T-Max tuner is if you have a problem with the tuner or the tune the only way to communicate with customer support is by E-Mail, you can't talk to a live person which kind of sucks.
This isnt entirely correct. I have gotten to speak with someone several times when i had issues and they were very helpful.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
You guys have been very helpful.Next payday I think I will be purchasing one. Will they pre-load my map?
Bought mine from Dragos. Came preloaded. Call Frank He will hook you up and save you some cash over buying direct.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I bought mine from DHP along with the rest of my stage 1 stuff.I just ordered an exhaust for an 09 so it came with the bigger bungs up by the cylinders.Bolted on the T-max and rode it.bike runs great and I've had no issues.

Also got it for considerably less than the list price in a package deal.

To me,the extra it cost over other tuners is saved in dyno time (don't need any).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought mine from DHP along with the rest of my stage 1 stuff.I just ordered an exhaust for an 09 so it came with the bigger bungs up by the cylinders.Bolted on the T-max and rode it.bike runs great and I've had no issues.

Also got it for considerably less than the list price in a package deal.

To me,the extra it cost over other tuners is saved in dyno time (don't need any).
+1 on the dyno time. I also plan to change things later so I think this is the ticket

1 - 15 of 15 Posts